BW-16D1HT won't read the very latest discs

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
pixelme

BW-16D1HT won't read the very latest discs

Post by pixelme »

Hey all,

i've had my BW-16D1HT for quite some time and have ripped all of my collection, bluray and 4K films. All have been really easy to date.

Recently i have noticed that the newest releases cannot be read at all by the drive in windows or makemkv. (Tenet 4K and LoTR 4k)

So i pop in the new Star wars 4k films, Return of the Jedi (v70 i think) and it reads perfectly, Mulan no problem. Soon as i put Tenet or LOTR in, the drive fails to read anything on the discs. That's both in windows explorer or makemkv

I sent Tenet back to swap for another copy, tried again, the same problem.

The drive appears to be working, as it has no problem on any other 4K disc, apart from these two new ones that i think are v76.

Aside from the usual cleaning (disc and lens), i have tried everything i can think of.

Is increasing the power to the laser a viable option?

Any help / advice most welcomed

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number: KLSK3T84424
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
pixelme

Re: BW-16D1HT won't read the very latest discs

Post by pixelme »

So after taking the drive apart, cleaning the laser lens and putting it back to together it would read/rip a LOTR disc.

BUT then the next disc it would fail, so after unplugging the drive from both SATA/POWER waiting 2 minutes and plugging it back in, booting up MakeMKV it would then read that disc in both makemkv/windows explorer.

Rinse repeat for each new 4K disc, this is rather painful.

I will try to increase the power to the lens, but with three potentiometers i am not sure which. (Can't find a schematic)

One is CD, one is DVD and the other is bluray.... trial and error i guess.

Anyone have any experience they would kindly share?
Thanks
preserve

Post by preserve »

I'm using the same drive but with the original 3.00 firmware. I've had no issues so far, although my 4K collection is pretty small. I'm holding off on LOTR/Hobbit, but Tenet arrived today and I'm currently making a non-decrypted backup while waiting for the key, with no issues so far (fingers crossed).
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

pixelme wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:02 pm
So after taking the drive apart, cleaning the laser lens and putting it back to together it would read/rip a LOTR disc.

BUT then the next disc it would fail, so after unplugging the drive from both SATA/POWER waiting 2 minutes and plugging it back in, booting up MakeMKV it would then read that disc in both makemkv/windows explorer.

I will try to increase the power to the lens, but with three potentiometers i am not sure which. (Can't find a schematic)

Thanks
No hardware modification is needed. What is going in the log that is displayed on screen while you're attempting to rip these discs? These drives do not last forever so there's always a chance the drive may be failing but I'l bet there's log messages that will help us.Adjusting power to the lens is not reequired at this time :)
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Ripped Tenet last night in an ASUS it was just fine. Sorry that you're having trouble with your ASUS.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
flashp

Post by flashp »

pixelme wrote:

Thanks
I'm having exactly the same issue with a different Asus drive, a BC-12D2HT with f/w 3.11. I'll be really interested to see how you go with this. My thread is here: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 12&t=24153
I can get mine to run by the same method - moving the SATA connection. For interest, I'm using a Gigabyte Motherboard. Perhaps SATA controllers are relevant?
I'd like to know if it's the hardware or the interface, perhaps USB3 might be more successful.

I'm happy to spend a bit to fix this but I'd like to understand the problem or hear from someone that does. I've had advice to change the drive to an LG part which I'm happy to do but at a total cost of around £110 I'm nervous as I'm not sure this issue is understood and I feel there are no guarantees with this, things could change again and we'll be jumping through the same hoops later on.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

jonghotti wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:22 am
Ripped Tenet last night in an ASUS it was just fine. Sorry that you're having trouble with your ASUS.
I also ripped Tenet with ASUS BW-16D1HT on 3.00, 3.01 3.10mk. Also tested with BH16NS55 Cross-Flashed Wh16NS60 1.02mk.

No Problems here.

I then watched the movie, my wife is still not sure what it was about LOL
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
telex

Post by telex »

for me as beginner: what means cross flashed?
and : my BD-RE BH16NS55 does not support 4k Bluray with normal 1.03. With MK it is reading and ripping 4K?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Read this to make your drive UHD compatible:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634

But I suggest to read also my guide that is a little bit more precautious. You will need a forum account to see the pictures:

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/guide-f ... dvd.79023/
telex

Post by telex »

thanks
telex

Post by telex »

btw: means BH16NS55 > WH16NS60 1.02MK cross flashed?

whats means: SVC NS50+ LG only ?

which flashing tool is most sensible for BH16NS55?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Cross-flashed fom "friendly" to "official" will only work for Makemkv. So BH16NS60 firmware does only work for Makemkv.

BH16NS40 comes with older SVC NS40 ( MT1939 chip, never UHD compatible) and newer SVC50 (MT1959 chip, UHD compatible). Same basic name, big difference. The sticker on the drive will tell you.

SDFtool flasher is the latest and recommended. If you have issues with that and your drive firmware is not encrypted I would use the modified ASUS flasher.
telex

Post by telex »

what do you recommend me to program with my BH16NS55 to read UHD Disk and to rip with any DVD and make mkv? (now 1.03 official)
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

As I also mentioned in my guide: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 MK.
pixelme

Post by pixelme »

jonghotti wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:57 pm
pixelme wrote:

Thanks
No hardware modification is needed. What is going in the log that is displayed on screen while you're attempting to rip these discs? These drives do not last forever so there's always a chance the drive may be failing but I'l bet there's log messages that will help us.Adjusting power to the lens is not reequired at this time :)
I swapped the disc for another version, still the same issue.

After messing about with the drive, removing it, re-adding it, rebooting etc i managed to get it to read the new disc eventually and managed to rip it!

Though on another disc Anna 4K the drive was doing the same thing,

So I purchased a new drive and flashed with the same firmware, the same thing again.

Though between Tenet and Anna, on the old drive I managed to rip several other older 4k discs and lots of bluray.

Current error:
DEBUG: Code 3221225486 at xf_Dcu,!fSM">r,H`T%9:213130582
DEBUG: Code 2399219969 at OCcW1g!}n/OuP?R^I:121266005

Then i washed the disc!! popped it in the new drive and after 3 attempts to read it, i am currently ripping it. (hope it completes)