Help with deciding which drive to get

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Ausfahrt

Post by Ausfahrt »

I've read the "Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2020" which states there is no "best drive".

However, reading posts on the forum gives me the impression that certain drives are more stable than or can become faster than others after being flashed with certain firmware.

These are the three drives available to me:
ASUS BW-16D1HT: €75
LG BH16NS55: €86
LG BH16NS40: €67

If you consider stability, price and flashing options, which drive should I buy?

Thank you all in advance!
dcoke22

Re: Help with deciding which drive to get

Post by dcoke22 »

I have the ASUS and it has treated me well.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

You can also find the LG BH16NS55 for the same price as the NS40. These drives are all more or less identical and can be cross-flashed to each other. I have 2 BH16NS55 cross-flahed to ASUS BW16D1HT 3.10 MK as I think this is the best firmware.
Ausfahrt

Post by Ausfahrt »

Coopervid wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:33 pm
You can also find the LG BH16NS55 for the same price as the NS40. These drives are all more or less identical and can be cross-flashed to each other. I have 2 BH16NS55 cross-flahed to ASUS BW16D1HT 3.10 MK as I think this is the best firmware.
I wrote the cheapest price I could find (local internet stores and amazon.de) and NS40 is cheaper. Is there any reason to get the BH16NS55 over the BH16NS40?
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Be careful when buying the BH16NS55 and also the BH16NS40.

This LG-BH16NS55 model can be purchased cheap on eBay or Amazon as in most cases the drive is the old LG model, white and grey Box or just bulk barebones.

The new Hitachi LG model SVC NS55 is a superior drive and hardware. The newer Hitachi Drive comes in a Hitachi LG box, colour black. To clarify superior, I find the new Hitachi drives quieter and will read most discs thrown at it. When Cross-flashed to WH16NS60 1.02mk the Hitachi model performs better than the older LG model.

The same for the BH16NS40 you can buy the old models SVC NS50 on Amazon or eBay.

The newer 2020 model is SVC NS51.

So be careful with these older models.

Kind Regards

Asmcom :mrgreen:
Last edited by asmcom on Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Cheaper is never better. If the intent is to buy cheap most likely that is exactly what you’ll end up with

As to the other thing, if it says Hitachi LG or HLDS you want that and skip the other thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by jonghotti on Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

jonghotti wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:57 am
Cheaper is never better. If the intent is to buy cheap most likely that is exactly what you’ll end up with Image

As to the other thing, if it says Hitachi LG or HLDD you want that and skip the other thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
100% correct Alex. I have had so many customers over the last year who have contacted me after buying garbage drives on Amazon / eBay "basically returns that have been tested with a disc in, disc read, this drive must be okay, let's send this out again"

Some of these customers ends up spending twice the amount of money that they intended, instead of dealing with highly recommend sellers like yourself, Billycar11, Bluntman and Martymcnuts.

It makes common sense sometimes for customers to contact the recommend sellers on the  MakeMKV forum in the 1st place, to seek advise and deal with an experienced seller who eats and sleeps UHD Friendly optical drives. The sellers on the forum can also tell the customers 1st hand which are the best models to go for and which models that are best avoided. Its also fair to say that some forum members are very well informed and read the forum extensively. Therefore they know exactly what they are doing and by virtue they can then make an informed decision and purchase their own drive and flash the firmware successfully.

In the long run getting good advise from a seller on the forum will be a better solution and investment for new customers who do not have first hand knowledge of the pros and cons when purchasing an UHD Friendly Blu-ray Drive.

Happy Christmas
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

The guys are absolutely right. What you found on Amazon regarding the BH16NS40 is the old variant SVC40 that is not UHD compatible and made in 2014.
Search with geizhals.eu for LG BH16NS55 and you will find prices in the area of 65 Euros for it e.g. at Alternate.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Supporting the independent sellers on this board is THE way to go.
We work tirelessly for our customers and back it up with awesome support.
You will not get that from Amazon!

Thank you for your consideration!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829