Failed to rip Avatar 1 and 2 UHD Collector's Editions and Warcraft - The Begining UHD

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Nightwish

Failed to rip Avatar 1 and 2 UHD Collector's Editions and Warcraft - The Begining UHD

Post by Nightwish » Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:16 pm

I've started building a 4k movies collection and I wanted to rip them on my PC to have a backup (in case something happened to the discs I purchased).
The rips failed and I was hoping if you could help me please identify the problem.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have Verbatim External slimline Blu-ray Writer, connects via USB-C, product code: 43888
I am using Windows 10

Other info: I've ripped successfully my collection of documentaries, which contains DVDs, Blu ray and UHD Blu ray. I even purchased a MakeMKV license, the program worked great for these!

The info I get in MakeMKV:

Drive Information
OS device name: G:
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-UD04
Revision: 1.14
Serial number: [redacted]
Firmware date: 2020-06-15
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 77

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8A10
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-US04
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.14
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted
--------------------------------------------------------

I've tried to rip 3 UHD movies (the only ones I have so far: Avatar 1 and 2 UHD Collector's Edition, Warcraft - The Begining UHD) and none worked, all attempts finished with the error:

MakeMKV v1.17.7 win(x64-release) started
Using LibreDrive mode (v01.0 id=489CDFD6D392)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\abcdef/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v61_Warcraft_C549.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

I did some research and tried the folowing:

I checked in MakeMKV, Internet access is enabled.

keydb.cfg:
I got the keydb.cfg file, I have the latest version, I copied the file in C:\Users\abcdef\.MakeMKV. I found that I also have it in the directory C:\Users\abcdef\AppData\Roaming\aacs.
I saw some mentions regarding the file being case sensitive, so I renamed it to a couple of variants like keydb.cfg, Keydb.cfg, KEYDB.cfg. The file is 51.9 mb large, so I presume it has keys. As far as I understood, this shouldn't actually be needed, right?

I also submitted the AACS dump file to svq@makemkv.com last month.

Not really sure where to go from here. Any pointers / advice please? Thank you!

dcoke22

Re: Failed to rip Avatar 1 and 2 UHD Collector's Editions and Warcraft - The Begining UHD

Post by dcoke22 » Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:12 pm

Hopefully you found the UHD FAQ.

After you've submitted the .tgz file via email, you will not get a notification that a hashed key is available. Just wait a week or two and try again. If the hashed is available, MakeMKV will download it and the disc will decrypt.

MrPenguin

Re: Failed to rip Avatar 1 and 2 UHD Collector's Editions and Warcraft - The Begining UHD

Post by MrPenguin » Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:28 pm

Nightwish wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:16 pm
keydb.cfg:
I got the keydb.cfg file, I have the latest version, I copied the file in C:\Users\abcdef\.MakeMKV. I found that I also have it in the directory C:\Users\abcdef\AppData\Roaming\aacs.
I saw some mentions regarding the file being case sensitive, so I renamed it to a couple of variants like keydb.cfg, Keydb.cfg, KEYDB.cfg. The file is 51.9 mb large, so I presume it has keys. As far as I understood, this shouldn't actually be needed, right?
The KEYDB.cfg file is not necessary, but can be useful alternative source of decryption keys. You'll need to keep it up-to-date yourself, but the FindVUK program also has a "synchronize" option which keeps the copy in "C:\Users\abcdef\AppData\Roaming\aacs" aligned with the online database without you needing to redownload the entire file each time.

Windows file-systems are not case-sensitive. On MacOS and Linux, the file should be named KEYDB.cfg.

See this post for more information.

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:29 pm

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:12 pm
Hopefully you found the UHD FAQ.

After you've submitted the .tgz file via email, you will not get a notification that a hashed key is available. Just wait a week or two and try again. If the hashed is available, MakeMKV will download it and the disc will decrypt.
Yes, thanks, I found UHD FAQ, and there it states the following:

" I submitted a dump, how long does it take?
Once submitted, the turnaround can be pretty fast, between 12 to 48 hours. However, it can also sometimes take several days or longer. "

Of course I wasn't expecting it to be solved in a day, but since it's about 3 weeks since I submitted, I thought maybe there are other problems that prevent me from ripping those movies. That's why I posted this thread.
It's understandable that there are no e-mail replies or other notifications, I can only imagine the amount of requests that are received.

If it's just a matter of waiting for the keys, then I'll wait. I only wanted to make sure that the rest is ok.

Thanks!

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:38 pm

MrPenguin wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:28 pm
The KEYDB.cfg file is not necessary, but can be useful alternative source of decryption keys. You'll need to keep it up-to-date yourself, but the FindVUK program also has a "synchronize" option which keeps the copy in "C:\Users\abcdef\AppData\Roaming\aacs" aligned with the online database without you needing to redownload the entire file each time.

Windows file-systems are not case-sensitive. On MacOS and Linux, the file should be named KEYDB.cfg.

See this post for more information.
Yeah, that's what I understood from the forums as well, that the keydb.cfg is not mandatory, but it might be useful in some situations. I thought that I could try it since I've seen that it worked for some people. I did use the latest version of the file.
I wasn't sure if it's case sensitive, I just wanted to try everything I could before posting something and asking for help :)

It looks like I should just wait for the keys and keep trying periodically.

Thanks!

MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:41 pm

Nightwish wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:16 pm
I've started building a 4k movies collection and I wanted to rip them on my PC to have a backup (in case something happened to the discs I purchased).
The rips failed and I was hoping if you could help me please identify the problem.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have Verbatim External slimline Blu-ray Writer, connects via USB-C, product code: 43888
I am using Windows 10

Other info: I've ripped successfully my collection of documentaries, which contains DVDs, Blu ray and UHD Blu ray. I even purchased a MakeMKV license, the program worked great for these!

The info I get in MakeMKV:

Drive Information
OS device name: G:
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-UD04
Revision: 1.14
Serial number: [redacted]
Firmware date: 2020-06-15
Bus encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 77

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8A10
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-US04
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.14
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted

I've tried to rip 3 UHD movies (the only ones I have so far: Avatar 1 and 2 UHD Collector's Edition, Warcraft - The Begining UHD) and none worked, all attempts finished with the error:

Failed to open disc

I did some research and tried the folowing:

I checked in MakeMKV, Internet access is enabled.

keydb.cfg:

I also submitted the AACS dump file to svq@makemkv.com last month.

Not really sure where to go from here. Any pointers / advice please? Thank you!
At any point have you noticed in the MakeMKV log an entry stating "HK download disabled or failed"?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:27 am

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:41 pm

At any point have you noticed in the MakeMKV log an entry stating "HK download disabled or failed"?
The only log files I could find were the ones in the dump files archives that were generated after trying to rip the movies.
There is no mention about "HK download disabled or failed" or anything close to that.

The logs have only some software and hardware info, the first steps MakeMKV took in the process and a debug code.

Something drew my attention though, from the log file: "Network access is ENABLED, CURL version 7.72.0/Schannel/1.41.0 (x86_64-pc-win32) , proxy server not set."
Is it enough to have the option enabled or do I need a proxy server as well?

Thanks!

MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:42 am

Nightwish wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:27 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:41 pm

The only log files I could find were the ones in the dump files archives that were generated after trying to rip the movies.
There is no mention about "HK download disabled or failed" or anything close to that.

The logs have only some software and hardware info, the first steps MakeMKV took in the process and a debug code.

Something drew my attention though, from the log file: "Network access is ENABLED, CURL version 7.72.0/Schannel/1.41.0 (x86_64-pc-win32) , proxy server not set."
Is it enough to have the option enabled or do I need a proxy server as well?

Thanks!
I'm not takling about any log file. I'm talking about the log window at the bottom of MakeMKV. You need to try ripping the disc then copy and paste that log here after you get whatever errors you are talking about.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:29 am

Oh, I see. Then it's the one I already posted in the initial thread. I get the same thing every time I try to rip an UHD movie disc

Failed to open disc

MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:50 pm

Nightwish wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:29 am
Oh, I see. Then it's the one I already posted in the initial thread. I get the same thing every time I try to rip an UHD movie disc

Failed to open disc
So just email the dump file to svq@makemkv.com if you haven't already and wait for the key to be added. Usually it takes a few weeks.

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:09 pm

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:50 pm
So just email the dump file to svq@makemkv.com if you haven't already and wait for the key to be added. Usually it takes a few weeks.
Yes, I did email all 3 dump files. I will wait :)
Thanks

MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin » Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:50 pm

Nightwish wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:09 pm
Yes, I did email all 3 dump files. I will wait :)
Even if the latest KEYDB.cfg file doesn't contain entries with VUKs for any of your disks, it is still likely to contain entries with Unit Keys. These would allow you to decrypt your disks by using Xreveal with MakeMKV.

See these instructions for how to use MakeMKV and XReveal together, although I've never tried doing this myself. (It's a "Windows only" thing...).

Edit: Do you have FindVUK installed? Because if so, you could try executing:

Code: Select all

> findvuk validateDisc drive=<your-uhd-drive-letter>
to check whether any Unit Key for your disk in the KEYDB.cfg file were actually correct. You would first need to update your FindVUK.ini file:

Disable_Bus_Encryption_Cmd = "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\makemkvcon.exe" info dev:$DRIVE$
assuming this is where you have installed MakeMKV.

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:42 pm

MrPenguin wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:50 pm
Even if the latest KEYDB.cfg file doesn't contain entries with VUKs for any of your disks, it is still likely to contain entries with Unit Keys. These would allow you to decrypt your disks by using Xreveal with MakeMKV.

See these instructions for how to use MakeMKV and XReveal together, although I've never tried doing this myself. (It's a "Windows only" thing...).
Thanks for the advice, I managed to get XReveal to work, it decrypted all 3 of my discs and tried to rip them with MakeMKV, just like in instructions. All 3 failed to copy at one point because of read errors:

"Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00213.m2ts' at offset '2454434611" - for the Warcraft disc
"The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00103.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 767176704, attempting to work around" - around 600 of these for Avatar 1 and about 1000 for Avatar 2.

The discs are brand new, cleaned and unscratched. Besides, I watched all 3 movies on my TV, they worked (although I couldn't notice if they skipped some frames because disc errors). Maybe I should get a new drive, meh

MrPenguin wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:50 pm
Edit: Do you have FindVUK installed? Because if so, you could try executing:

> findvuk validateDisc drive=<your-uhd-drive-letter>
to check whether any Unit Key for your disk in the KEYDB.cfg file were actually correct. You would first need to update your FindVUK.ini file:

Disable_Bus_Encryption_Cmd = "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\makemkvcon.exe" info dev:$DRIVE$
assuming this is where you have installed MakeMKV.
I don't have it installed, but I will try the steps you wrote and will tell you afterwards.
Thank you!

MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin » Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:47 pm

Nightwish wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:42 pm
Thanks for the advice, I managed to get XReveal to work, it decrypted all 3 of my discs and tried to rip them with MakeMKV, just like in instructions. All 3 failed to copy at one point because of read errors:

"Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00213.m2ts' at offset '2454434611" - for the Warcraft disc
"The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00103.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 767176704, attempting to work around" - around 600 of these for Avatar 1 and about 1000 for Avatar 2.

The discs are brand new, cleaned and unscratched. Besides, I watched all 3 movies on my TV, they worked (although I couldn't notice if they skipped some frames because disc errors). Maybe I should get a new drive, meh
It seems odd that all three would have read errors :?. Does your Verbatim 43888 have its own external power supply, or is it just bus-powered?

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:58 pm

MrPenguin wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:47 pm
It seems odd that all three would have read errors :?. Does your Verbatim 43888 have its own external power supply, or is it just bus-powered?
I'm generally a magnet for strange things and events :))
Yeah, indeed it's weird, especially since the discs I bought were brand new and sealed. 3 out 3 to have manufacturing errors is next level coincidence

The drive is powered via the USB-C port.