MAKE MKV alternative.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
BrianDW

MAKE MKV alternative.

Post by BrianDW » Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:48 pm

Is there some alternative to Make MKV that will rip my new 4K blu-rays without having to wait a week or more for one over-worked person to fix the "volume K is unknown" for every individual title?

It's getting old, man. When I pay for a product, I want it to work.
I appreciate the efforts of Make MKV but there has to be something better.

The entire platform relies upon one man being able to fulfill the demands of all of its users.
It's a bit much.

Coopervid

Re: MAKE MKV alternative.

Post by Coopervid » Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:34 pm

BrianDW wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:48 pm
Is there some alternative to Make MKV that will rip my new 4K blu-rays without having to wait a week or more for one over-worked person to fix the "volume K is unknown" for every individual title?

It's getting old, man. When I pay for a product, I want it to work.
I appreciate the efforts of Make MKV but there has to be something better.

The entire platform relies upon one man being able to fulfill the demands of all of its users.
It's a bit much.
Read what SamuriHL wrote here and follow his links.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16883&start=30

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL » Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:37 pm

Or maybe don't follow my links. You're more than welcome to go find your "alternative" somewhere else. Complaining about a product on the product's forum and then asking for an alternative in the same breath is "a bit much."

BrianDW

Post by BrianDW » Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:59 pm

Yeah, I should devote my time to following the links of one unhelpful weirdo.

I posted a product concern about the product on the products forum and "McNuts" becomes angry.

Where else should I post my concerns about Make Mkv? The Leawo forum?

If you can't offer a solution to a problem don't bother answering.
Last edited by BrianDW on Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin » Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:50 pm

BrianDW wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:48 pm
Emailing your dump file to svq@makemkv.com will eventually result in your key being added to MakeMKV's "hashed keys". Your only alternative to waiting patiently for this to happen is to acquire your key from somewhere else instead. And AFAIK the only "somewhere else" that MakeMKV supports is KEYDB.cfg.

I believe people were trying to direct you to this forum post.

AACSv2 keys are supposed to be difficult to acquire - by their very design. And to be blunt, I'm amazed that we have any way to obtain these keys in the first place. It's not as if we can "brute force" them, as we could with DVD CSS keys.

BrianDW

Post by BrianDW » Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:45 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Out of frustration (and remembering I actually paid for it some time ago) I opened up my "Leawo Professional Media" app.
Having been informed the Leawo product was merely an MKV rip-off, and having paid for MakeMKV, I just never used it.
I updated and then:
Successfully ripped 3 UHD Blu-ray discs Make MKV gave the "volume key unknown error" for.

They discs are all recent Kino/Lorber 4Ks, recently received directly from the KL website.
(Cannibal Apocalypse/Nightmare Beach/In & Out.)

Using the same Pioneer Drive on the same computer, LEAWO ripped 4K lossless MKVS and MAKEMKV did nothing.

If leawo is a ripoff, why does it work, I wonder? Ripoff or not, I use the tool that gets the job done.

MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin » Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:16 pm

BrianDW wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:45 pm
If leawo is a ripoff, why does it work, I wonder? Ripoff or not, I use the tool that gets the job done.
Whichever tool you use, the problem of obtaining UHD keys is exactly the same because it is defined by the AACSv2 specifications. I haven't the faintest idea how Leawo is solving it, although I'll be amazed if it doesn't also require LibreDrive, because how else can it be handling bus encryption :|? Nor can Leawo simply pull its keys out of thin air - something must be calculating them at least once!

Can you test Leawo with a non-LibreDrive-compatible UHD drive please, just to see what happens?
BrianDW wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:45 pm
They discs are all recent Kino/Lorber 4Ks, recently received directly from the KL website.
(Cannibal Apocalypse/Nightmare Beach/In & Out.)
Do all of these disks have entries in KEYDB.cfg, by any chance?

BrianDW

Post by BrianDW » Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:40 pm

All my drives are flashed.

BrianDW

Post by BrianDW » Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:47 pm

To be honest, I don't know what that means.
Here is the readout:

MakeMKV v1.17.6 win(x64-release) started
Using LibreDrive mode (v01.0 id=27184B96DBEE)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\rsdwa/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v77_Cannibal_Apocalypse_FC1C.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

MakeMKV creates a dumpfile, but why bother emailing it in when Leawo Rips it now?

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:20 pm

BrianDW wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:47 pm
MakeMKV creates a dumpfile, but why bother emailing it in when Leawo Rips it now?
On the off chance it might help others who don't use Leawo?

BrianDW

Post by BrianDW » Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:58 pm

Good point. Done.

MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin » Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:35 am

BrianDW wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:47 pm

To be honest, I don't know what that means.

Code: Select all

0x139180AD791724CE0E3BD49FD0145DB16AD35E98 = Nightmare Beach (Nightmare Beach) | D | 2024-05-24
0x5132E06829D27E6928C36031ECEF6D0265F77BC1 = In and Out (In & Out) | D | 2024-05-30
0x10598F42EA1C5AD584C6ED80C6445181C60CEBD3 = Cannibal Apocalypse (Cannibal Apocalypse) | D | 2024-05-23
So these keys exist in KEYDB.cfg, although I don't know if any of them match your particular disks. You would need to calculate the SHA-1 hashes of your disks' AACS\Unit_Key_RO.inf files for us to learn that.

BrianDW

Post by BrianDW » Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:54 am

I don't know what ANY of that means.
I'm a movie fan, not a coder.
I just want lossless copies of my 4K discs to watch via my plex or (or sometimes Jellyfin) server on my great-big 4K TV.
I like to have my library organized and at the ready on my own personal streaming service: BrianFlix.

If one program works to rip the disk and another doesn't, I use the one that works.
I have no brand loyalty and no expertise in computer programing.
I can navigate and utilize the software others create and that is that.

Me calculating anything besides the tip on the bar tab is an absurd concept.

MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin » Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:18 am

BrianDW wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:54 am
I don't know what ANY of that means.
I'm a movie fan, not a coder.
OK. Suffice to say that The Movie Industry only wants us all to watch UHD movies using official hardware and software, and "BrianFlix" is definitely and eternally unofficial. Not only that, but the "official" software approach has failed so catastrophically that not only has it been withdrawn, but Intel has even removed the functionality that it was built upon from their future product lines!

So while I understand your frustration, you must in turn appreciate that no-one here is supposed to be able to calculate any of these keys in the first place, because none of this "unofficial" software was ever supposed even to exist.

Is waiting just a short while for the "supposedly impossible" to happen each time you need a new UHD key really such a Big Ask?

BrianDW

Post by BrianDW » Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:37 pm

I get your point, and appreciate your input.
Given that I own both MakeMKV and Leawo, I'll use what works.
I Always will try MakeMkv first but if that dosen't work, I use the other.

Manufacturers won't trust people who still buy physical media not to bootleg it, and researching torrent sites, it looks like many do.
BUT I don't. Good lord, I pre-order directly from Manufacturers websites. I feel I'm being punished for other actions.
You would think the disc-makers would go out of their way to keep customers who still buy their products happy. The corporate mind is a baffling morass.

Even more baffling is 4K Blu-ray drive manufacturers making drives advertised as working with 4K discs that have removed the functionality to work with 4K discs. It's like selling me a new 4WD truck with the front drive-shaft removed.

Regardless of all this malarky, I am grateful to MakeMKV and the man behind it. I will continue to vouch for it, and it is always my first choice.