Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

FubbAyH wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:18 pm
Oh that's a good point. I hope I didn't sound critical. I'm absolutely delighted with the tool and having a way to add DV to discs that lack it. Thank you very much for the tool, and thank you very much to RESET_9999 for all the helpful posts spelling out how to use it and documenting your experiments!
I wish @Grencola was still around. I'm sure he could make us a ''simple'' GUI like this:

vantheman wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:54 am
A. ShieldTV 2019 PRO supports only LLDV playback.
no, the shield support tv-led and player-led (lldv)
vantheman wrote:

B. When playing DV profile 7 with FEL MKV on the ShieldTV 2019 with PLEX the FEL is downgraded to MEL (LG CX TV displays the DV logo on top right corner).
no it just ignores the el and use RPU metadata
vantheman wrote:
C. When playing DV profile 7 with FEL MKV on the ShieldTV 2019 with PLEX the FEL is ignored and only the BL+RPU layer is decoded (LG CX TV displays the DV logo on top right corner).
yes
vantheman wrote:
D. When playing DV profile 7 with MEL MKV on the ShieldTV 2019 with PLEX the MEL is decoded correctly (LG CX TV displays the DV logo on top right corner).
yes

vantheman wrote:
E. Profile 5/8 BL+RPU gives better colour accuracy than HDR10.
The shield has colors issue (red push) with profile 4, 8, 7 ... profile 5 is accurate
OMEGAZULUL

Post by OMEGAZULUL »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:02 pm
FubbAyH wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:18 pm
Oh that's a good point. I hope I didn't sound critical. I'm absolutely delighted with the tool and having a way to add DV to discs that lack it. Thank you very much for the tool, and thank you very much to RESET_9999 for all the helpful posts spelling out how to use it and documenting your experiments!
I wish @Grencola was still around. I'm sure he could make us a ''simple'' GUI like this:

vantheman wrote:
A. ShieldTV 2019 PRO supports only LLDV playback.
no, the shield support tv-led and player-led (lldv)
vantheman wrote:

B. When playing DV profile 7 with FEL MKV on the ShieldTV 2019 with PLEX the FEL is downgraded to MEL (LG CX TV displays the DV logo on top right corner).
no it just ignores the el and use RPU metadata
vantheman wrote:
C. When playing DV profile 7 with FEL MKV on the ShieldTV 2019 with PLEX the FEL is ignored and only the BL+RPU layer is decoded (LG CX TV displays the DV logo on top right corner).
yes
vantheman wrote:
D. When playing DV profile 7 with MEL MKV on the ShieldTV 2019 with PLEX the MEL is decoded correctly (LG CX TV displays the DV logo on top right corner).
yes

vantheman wrote:
E. Profile 5/8 BL+RPU gives better colour accuracy than HDR10.
The shield has colors issue (red push) with profile 4, 8, 7 ... profile 5 is accurate
So if I have a TV that supports Tv-led dolby vision then any dolby vision movies I play with the shield wil be Tv-led? Do I need a certain profile or format for it to be Tv-led with Plex? I thought the only way to get Tv-led was with FEL and the shield ignores that. I looked up Vincent's comparison regarding Player-led vs Tv-led and to me Tv-led looked more detailed and brighter. As far as I know the difference between FEL and MEL is only 12 bit vs 10 bit so it should only matter in color banding. These statements contradicts each other so I'm confused right now. How can I get Tv-led dolby vision with Plex and the shield? What am I missing without FEL?
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:41 pm
mmm Netflix moved from profile 5 to profile 8 ? or are these scene groups just injected DV metadata into hdr10 with quietvoid tool?

Crown Season 1-4 webdl :

Code: Select all

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5@Main
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.07, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 1 h 1 min
Bit rate : 14.9 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.072
Stream size : 6.44 GiB (94%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1062 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 140 cd/m2
galarond wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:56 pm
theres any 100% accurate source for that info with all DV releases?.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
what happened to @Grencola? I haven't heard of him/her for a while now. I hope he/she is OK! BTW, what's L5 and L6? I keep seeing this here a lot lately. Thank you!
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

mulucy wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:34 pm
BTW, what's L5 and L6? I keep seeing this here a lot lately. Thank you!
Dolby Vision metadata levels.
L5 defines the active area of the image (letterbox bars, aspect ratio)
L6 is the HDR10 metadata, MaxCLL/MaxFALL & mastering display min/max luminance.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

quietvoid wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:06 am
mulucy wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:34 pm
BTW, what's L5 and L6? I keep seeing this here a lot lately. Thank you!
Dolby Vision metadata levels.
L5 defines the active area of the image (letterbox bars, aspect ratio)
L6 is the HDR10 metadata, MaxCLL/MaxFALL & mastering display min/max luminance.
Good info, thank you!
vantheman

Post by vantheman »

OMEGAZULUL wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:14 pm
So if I have a TV that supports Tv-led dolby vision then any dolby vision movies I play with the shield wil be Tv-led? Do I need a certain profile or format for it to be Tv-led with Plex? I thought the only way to get Tv-led was with FEL and the shield ignores that. I looked up Vincent's comparison regarding Player-led vs Tv-led and to me Tv-led looked more detailed and brighter. As far as I know the difference between FEL and MEL is only 12 bit vs 10 bit so it should only matter in color banding. These statements contradicts each other so I'm confused right now. How can I get Tv-led dolby vision with Plex and the shield? What am I missing without FEL?
Hi OMEGAZULUL,

My understanding is that although the ShieldTV 2019 is capable (hardware-wise) of TV-led DV, the AndroidTV OS only supports LLDV playback and as a consequence the FEL is ignored.

With regard to HDTVTest's Player-led vs Tv-led DV comparison, this post here suggests that the noticeable difference in colour accuracy is more down to a bug in the Dolby SDK for UHD Blu-ray players.
jaimbo

Post by jaimbo »

Is it normal for extracted or modified HEVC files to not show Dolby Vision info when viewed in Mediainfo:

but for the Dolby Vision info to be visible when the HEVC file is added back into the MKV:

Spent some time thinking I was doing something wrong when adding DV extracted from Web-DL into my Bluray Remux as I was checking the HEVC files as I went and the HEVC files don't seem to show DV info in Mediainfo
OMEGAZULUL

Post by OMEGAZULUL »

vantheman wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:06 am
OMEGAZULUL wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:14 pm
Hi OMEGAZULUL,

My understanding is that although the ShieldTV 2019 is capable (hardware-wise) of TV-led DV, the AndroidTV OS only supports LLDV playback and as a consequence the FEL is ignored.

With regard to HDTVTest's Player-led vs Tv-led DV comparison, this post here suggests that the noticeable difference in colour accuracy is more down to a bug in the Dolby SDK for UHD Blu-ray players.
So which media player has the best Dolby Vision playback and the most supported Dolby Vision profiles,formats? Can any do Tv-led and FEL playback?
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

Can anybody with a series 6 LG OLED confirm wether or not they can trigger DV from TS or M2TS container?

Basically when I create STDL DV using yuseope's tool and store them in .TS or .M2TS using tsmuxer they play fine on my LG C8 using both Plex and Emby.

But when I try on my friends B6 the .TS file simply hang te player and the M2TS will only trigger HDR10.
Only MP4 created by Dolby's mp4muxer seems to work.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

jaimbo wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:43 pm
Is it normal for extracted or modified HEVC files to not show Dolby Vision info when viewed in Mediainfo:

but for the Dolby Vision info to be visible when the HEVC file is added back into the MKV:

Spent some time thinking I was doing something wrong when adding DV extracted from Web-DL into my Bluray Remux as I was checking the HEVC files as I went and the HEVC files don't seem to show DV info in Mediainfo
Yes it's normal. MediaInfo is only parsing the container for Dolby Vision.
glc650

Post by glc650 »

vantheman wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:06 am
FEL requires two decoders which the Shield (and most other non-blu-ray players) don't have. That is why the Shield cannot play FEL. Has nothing to do with Android version or LLDV. If that was the case I would not be able to play FEL on my system (X800M2 w/LLDV only TV that plays FEL just fine).
glc650

Post by glc650 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:10 pm
Just got a Zidoo z9x player.. works great for any file I played but tv-led has the wrong bt2020 flag as well SMH :(
https://slow.pics/c/8zWhGixS

The x700, the Shield, the appleTV, the firestick, Chromecast, Ugoos:

colors are mostly accurate, still have to check DV but at least there is no red push on Doctor Sleep. if they fix the bt2020 flag, it is a better device than the Shield IMO

HDR10 422 12bit
zidoo vs source vs htpc: https://slow.pics/c/sjhJStHn

SDR 422 12bit (444 8bit is the same accuracy):
zidoo vs source vs htpc: https://slow.pics/c/MZyuVwBq
When is the BT2020 flag supposed to show up? Only when using LLDV mode?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

glc650 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:41 am
When is the BT2020 flag supposed to show up? Only when using LLDV mode?
in tv-led, the player sends a raw DV signal in an RGB 8 bit container (at this stage the video has purple and green color just like profile 5 look on an sdr screen so its not in bt2020 PQ yet).
Then the TV does the tone mapping and the picture, in the end, is 422 12bits bt2020 but only in the TV , not supposed to show up before (in the chain with vertex and player).
in lldv, the player does the tonemapping so the signal that is sent to the tv is already 422 bits bt2020. That is also the reason why @manix can capture it with his shogun atomos but cannot do the same with tv-led signal.
glc650

Post by glc650 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:05 am
in tv-led, the player sends a raw DV signal in an RGB 8 bit container (at this stage the video has purple and green color just like profile 5 look on an sdr screen so its not in bt2020 PQ yet).
Then the TV does the tone mapping and the picture, in the end, is 422 12bits bt2020 but only in the TV , not supposed to show up before (in the chain with vertex and player).
in lldv, the player does the tonemapping so the signal that is sent to the tv is already 422 bits bt2020. That is also the reason why @manix can capture it with his shogun atomos but cannot do the same with tv-led signal.
Explains why I see BT2020 for all DV with my TV (LLDV only).
RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:36 am
You have to check the pattern in the complete dark. Let your TV warm up for a couple of minutes and also let your eyes adapt to the darkness.

64 is completely black and you won't see it flashing unless you have raised black levels. You should see flashing starting at 66 for ideal shadow details. 65 is almost impossible to notice.
The problem with the C8 ( and CX/C1 from what I can read), is that it starts crushing black at 72ish in DV.
HDR10/SDR levels are correct, I can see 66 flashing.
Finally got around to checking this. I had raised blacks for all 3 of my sources (X800M2, Apple TV 4K gen2, madVR PC all connected directly to TV via different HDMI inputs). The PC w/madVR was way off (decreased from 50 to 33 on the black level adjustment setting). The other two were dropped to 47. On my TV, black level adjustments are available per HDMI port but all the modes (SDR/HDR10/DV) share one setting per port so which test should I use when checking? On the X800M2 I never watch SDR or HDR10 so that is any easy one just use the DV P5 test. On the Apple TV I watch mostly DV (Netflix) with some SDR (YouTube TV so I don't really care how accurate it is there) and HDR10 (Amazon but not much at all) so I used the P5 DV test for that device too. For madVR I used the P8 test (for the HDR10 fallback since madVR doesn't do DV). I watch as much SDR as I do HDR10 on madVR but figured it was more important that the HDR10 mode be set as accurate as possible due to the increased color range HDR brings? Note: my TV was never calibrated - professionally or otherwise.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

If you mux a ST-DL hevc stream using dolby mp4 muxer as p7 (even though just one input video stream, no problem, still spits it out) you can then play ST-DL DVp7 from an mp4/m4v on CCwGTV, SHIELD TV 2019, and the Hisense 50U6G Android TV I have.