Failed to rip Avatar 1 and 2 UHD Collector's Editions and Warcraft - The Begining UHD

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
MrPenguin

Re: Failed to rip Avatar 1 and 2 UHD Collector's Editions and Warcraft - The Begining UHD

Post by MrPenguin »

Nightwish wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:58 pm
The drive is powered via the USB-C port.
If your Verbatim 43888 has an external power supply then I would suggest using it, in case your USB-C port is struggling to provide enough power.

See this thread.
Nightwish

Re: Failed to rip Avatar 1 and 2 UHD Collector's Editions and Warcraft - The Begining UHD

Post by Nightwish »

MrPenguin wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:07 pm

If your Verbatim 43888 has an external power supply then I would suggest using it, in case your USB-C port is struggling to provide enough power.

See this thread.
Hmm... It seems to be possible. I checked the forum you linked, looks like similar issues.
The only way I can power it using a different source (not PC port) is by connecting it to a usb powered hub, which I would have to buy.
Indeed, I saw a couple of people saying that these drives use a lot of power. What I am confused about is that so far I managed to rip about 25 - 30 discs with UHD documentaries.

In the meanwhile, I wanted to test some documentaries that I allready ripped before. I tried 2 of them, now neither works, I get "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted"... Both of them worked fine, I allready ripped them before with MakeMKV and now they can't be decrypted...
My blood presure now it's considerable higher than my success rate :))
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

Nightwish wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:02 pm
In the meanwhile, I wanted to test some documentaries that I allready ripped before. I tried 2 of them, now neither works, I get "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted"... Both of them worked fine, I allready ripped them before with MakeMKV and now they can't be decrypted...
My blood presure now it's considerable higher than my success rate :))
Maybe you should switch to the UHD Drive forum? I haven't used Windows for years, and for all I know your "power supply problems" could be due to some "helpful" Windows power-saving feature for USB-C ports!? Or a "power saving" vs "performance" profile? Or maybe even your laptop battery starting to run low!?
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

MrPenguin wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:27 pm
Maybe you should switch to the UHD Drive forum? I haven't used Windows for years, and for all I know your "power supply problems" could be due to some "helpful" Windows power-saving feature for USB-C ports!? Or a "power saving" vs "performance" profile? Or maybe even your laptop battery starting to run low!?
I have everything setup to performance mode, no power saving features for ports and I don't have a laptop, I am using a pretty beefy PC (built less than a year ago, top spec), so my hardware should be overkill for this.
I will do some more tests, reinstall stuff and will see if anything changes.
Thanks!
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

I did more tests with my initial setup and still couldn't rip the 3 movies.

Eventually I bought a new external 5.25" drive (LG BH16NS55) + external drive enclosure (ICY BOX IB-525-U3) to power it from a socket and not via USB.
I've replaced the firmware with HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BH16NS55-1.05-NM00400-212004211049, using SDFtool Flasher.
MakeMKV still couldn't decrypt the discs, so I used Xreveal (with the latest version of keydb.cfg) for on-the-fly decryption and I finally managed to rip all 3 movies. Yay!

My slim Verbatim 43888 works fine with DVDs and blurays, even with UHD documentaries, but not with UHD movies. So I guess I will keep using both drives.

Thanks everyone for suggestions and help! (especially MrPenguin)