Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
skull88

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by skull88 »

staknhalo wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 8:28 pm
skull88 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:16 pm
Samsung is just stubborn because they invested so much in it and don't want to pay license fees to Dolby I'm guessing
Right but that's what got me thinking - who's gonna pay to license Dolby Vision in the future when it's old tech, for backwards compatibility? Can't see people (comapnies) willing to do that either. Only thing that makes me think we'll (maybe) only have HDR10 and/or HDR10+ for back compat in the future TVs.
That is likely far too pessimistic. Dolby has been around for nearly 60 years now and recently movie theatres began supporting Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision in select venues. Companies still make and sell DVDs, players and many audio components that support their audio/vidoe codecs (DVDs launched in mid 1990's and Dolby audio has been around forever too), and incredibly, some TV manufacturers actually brought back RCA inputs on the back of their displays in recent years and that's a 40+ year old standard! I wouldn't worry too much about that, plenty of other stuff to worry about in the world ahead of HDR colour standards/tech disappearing! Cheers. :)
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

skull88 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:23 pm
staknhalo wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 8:28 pm
skull88 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:16 pm
Samsung is just stubborn because they invested so much in it and don't want to pay license fees to Dolby I'm guessing
Right but that's what got me thinking - who's gonna pay to license Dolby Vision in the future when it's old tech, for backwards compatibility? Can't see people (comapnies) willing to do that either. Only thing that makes me think we'll (maybe) only have HDR10 and/or HDR10+ for back compat in the future TVs.
That is likely far too pessimistic. Dolby has been around for nearly 60 years now and recently movie theatres began supporting Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision in select venues. Companies still make and sell DVDs, players and many audio components that support their audio/vidoe codecs (DVDs launched in mid 1990's and Dolby audio has been around forever too), and incredibly, some TV manufacturers actually brought back RCA inputs on the back of their displays in recent years and that's a 40+ year old standard! I wouldn't worry too much about that, plenty of other stuff to worry about in the world ahead of HDR colour standards/tech disappearing! Cheers. :)
I never said or meant Dolby was going out of business, I meant TV manufacturers (who create TV sets in a race to the bottom on manufacturing costs and selling price) will cut corners, wherever they can, like not having to shell out money for old technology (like when Dolby Vision is old news in some not soon future) or having to adhere to any of Dolby's tests/certs (on the manufacturer's dime) when licensing Dolby Vision, because that eats into their bottom line - even if just a cost of pennies per set.

But, we still have to see what replaces Dolby Vision in next gen tech/TV sets - besides being something else entirely not from Dolby, it could also be a 'Dolby Vision 2' where 'Dolby Vision 1' is merely a subset of 2 - like how DLSS is with Nvidia currently.

Like I said it's still a real concern IMO and something to keep in mind - just have to keep an eye out on what will be coming down the pipe. Luckily as Reset mentioned it's still a way off with no replacement really taking shape as of now - but to my point look at the mess and headache ATSC 3.0 ecosystem is shaping up to be. I'd rather get ahead of any of that with my rips is all :)

Edit: But really the main main point of this thought exercise (lol) is "should I be getting legit HDR10+ metadata for all titles like I am Dolby Vision, in case HDR10+ is the dynamic metadata format we're left with in the future (because it's free IIRC for manufacturers) 🤔", doesn't hurt to be prepared is all I'm thinking.
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:14 pm
in resolve: https://youtu.be/FVSh3oGqfXY
in dovi_scripts: https://youtu.be/jBqbG5XM54g
from WEB: https://youtu.be/hVWZpat34oc

if you have access to my RPU google drive collection, I already did all the work for all the movies.
this is a little bit complicated for normal men like me. do you advice hybrid movies? are hybrid moviefiles processed same way?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

kazuma wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 3:52 pm
this is a little bit complicated for normal men like me. do you advice hybrid movies? are hybrid moviefiles processed same way?
DV is just dimming metadata when the content exceeds your TV capabilities. If your TV is capable of 800nits peak brightness, then any pixels brighter(up to 10 000nits) than that target will be compressed/dimmed down to 800nits instead of clipping the details as it would do in static HDR10.

So yes, always get the DV version of movies.
Mrmorrison

Post by Mrmorrison »

RESET_9999 wrote:

if you have access to my RPU google drive collection, I already did all the work for all the movies.
Ciao Reset,
How can I access your collection of RPU files?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

sent you a PM.
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

what is a hybrid release exactly? what is the benefit beside DV? contains it also hdr10+ ?
skull88

Post by skull88 »

Hybrid simply means multiple sources were used, sometimes it has nothing to do with the video/DV layer, but rather audio tracks taken from other discs for example. Release notes help make it more clear.
DylanValenti

Post by DylanValenti »

Anyone else notice that the RPU for apocalypse now goes way out of sync for the redux version. All other versions seem to be fine. I’ve watched this on the disc and didn’t notice any sync issues, has anyone tried this? Maybe an issue with makemkv?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Yep, I just tried with makemkv and the RPU seems to go out of sync at frame 32982.
I did not watch it but the scene cuts seem fine if I demux with tsmuxer and use dovi_tool.exe to make the ST-DL hevc.

makemkv scene cuts (OOS): https://justpaste.it/a8i23
tsmuxer demux scene cuts: https://justpaste.it/cmmbn

and the rpu is missing frames and is 5kb smaller with makemkv: https://slow.pics/c/AbM7fpJV
DylanValenti

Post by DylanValenti »

Yep. Ended up figuring that out too last night. Demuxed each segment with tsmuxer, combined BL and EL with your tool and then appended them in mkvtoolnix. Really odd this happened though, I’ve never encountered an error with RPUs using makemkv and I’ve ripped so many discs.
jayper

Post by jayper »

DylanValenti wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:08 pm
Yep. Ended up figuring that out too last night. Demuxed each segment with tsmuxer, combined BL and EL with your tool and then appended them in mkvtoolnix. Really odd this happened though, I’ve never encountered an error with RPUs using makemkv and I’ve ripped so many discs.
Does MakeMKV throw an error when this happens? Or did you only notice during playback?
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

FonduemangVI wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:51 pm
staknhalo wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:37 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:08 pm
2- Windows Energy Player
whatever problems watching at the computer/windows platform aside - is that the best windows store dv player then outside of any official dv pcs player etc?
RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:04 pm
and it's only because I know him personally and I know that he always does all the necessary checks.
Some older framestor releases are wrong and I just checked the Captain America hybrid is still available on BHD even though it's a VERY different grade and the RPU is not even in sync with the BL.
Same for their Black Widow release and others.

You can pm the list of hybrids you're not sure and I can have a look if i can find them.
Framestor Mando S02E08 Hybrid UHD out of sync too - prob all the (d+ or iT/D?) stuff
I just had a chance to check Mando and I can't see any sync issue. Can you provide a particular timestamp?
I still haven't gotten to go back and check this and all the latest RPU added UHD titles I processed when noticing this yet (I also encode the base layer to 45mbps if over, so who knows if that threw it off too - but for 99% up to now it hasn't, so) - but if I recall it was near the end where Luke comes in at the elevator scene and kills the death troopers for that title.

I also noticed one slight misalignment in Baby Driver at the very start when he's waiting for the first group to get out of the bank, for a split second there's a RPU misalignment on a closeup of him looking at them from in the car, but no where else in the movie that I saw.
OldSenileGuy

Post by OldSenileGuy »

RESET_9999 wrote:

Hi RESET_9999 - first off, if you are the one who maintains that Google Doc about which movies can and cannot have the Web DV metadata injected into them (along with everything else on that doc), THANK YOU! It's been priceless in my quest to understand all this stuff and make sure my collection has the best version available for the movies I care about.

Second - is there a way I can get access to this RPU collection? Does it come with a list of which versions/rips of the movie the RPU is compatible with, along with a brief walkthrough of how to combine the RPU with the base HDR10 file? Is the resulting file generally a Profile 8.1 mkv file?

Thanks again! Funny seeing you here when you were the one that probably started me down this path of understanding in the DV thread on the Infuse forums.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Second - is there a way I can get access to this RPU collection? Does it come with a list of which versions/rips of the movie the RPU is compatible with, along with a brief walkthrough of how to combine the RPU with the base HDR10 file? Is the resulting file generally a Profile 8.1 mkv file?
Sorry, the link is hidden and instructions to access it are in the Resolve HDR10 to DV tutorial. It's just a bunch (over 600) of Generated XML/RPU and original synced P5 RPU. You can use Dovi_scripts to verify scene cuts with your bluray remux in workflow 2-1 but 95% of the collection is probably USA discs.