Face/Off Kino Lorber release

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
thaelis

Face/Off Kino Lorber release

Post by thaelis »

Hello,

I'm experiencing issues with ripping the copy I just received for Face/Off 4K by Kino Lorber. I just watched the movie on my 4K UHD panasonic player and I had no issue whatsoever.

When I try to rip using MakeMkv (updated to 1.17.7) using a Asus BW-16D1HT drive (patched as explained in another section of this forum) the drive will attempt to read it for a few minutes after just "giving up" and MakeMKV will report the tray as empty. I have no issue riping any other 4k disc from my collection so far, and I obviously tried to clean the disc to no effect.
What can I provide to help troubleshoot this ?
dcoke22

Re: Face/Off Kino Lorber release

Post by dcoke22 »

If the optical drive doesn't detect the disc, that's outside of MakeMKV's control. If cleaning the disc doesn't work, the next best option is to try the disc in a different drive. In my experience, the same disc will sometimes produce different results in a different drive.
taylorwmj

Post by taylorwmj »

Not having the reading error -- but in my case just have another 'volume key unknown' message. Second one this week on a disc that wasn't just released...
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

taylorwmj wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2024 1:04 am
Not having the reading error -- but in my case just have another 'volume key unknown' message. Second one this week on a disc that wasn't just released...
It is possible that a new pressing of discs are secured with a different key.

Do you see "Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed" in your log? UHD FAQ
taylorwmj

Post by taylorwmj »

Very well could be a new pressing. Didn't know that was a thing so soon after a release.

Automatic downloading is working via SOCKS proxy configured in MMKV. Also have a Linux service I wrote that downloads the latest version of the DB every time MMKV is started.

Likely will just need to wait
Mysticlawn

Post by Mysticlawn »

I just got a copy of this today and also see the “volume key unknown” error
thaelis

Post by thaelis »

dcoke22 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:42 pm
If the optical drive doesn't detect the disc, that's outside of MakeMKV's control. If cleaning the disc doesn't work, the next best option is to try the disc in a different drive. In my experience, the same disc will sometimes produce different results in a different drive.
Hello,
Sadly the only other drive I have at hands is too old to be supported by LibreDrive, so I can't confirm if it is coming from the drive or from the copy I have.
The other responses indicating an "volume key unknown" error for that particular release makes me wonder if I don't have the same issue. How can I check this please ?
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

Mysticlawn wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:21 am
You should probably still email the .tgz dump file that MakeMKV has created to svq@makemkv.com, just in case ...

The latest KEYDB also contains this entry:

Code: Select all

0x3357A1B99EDCD067611BF823E30A48159E6DDF95 = Face Off (Face/Off) | D | 2023-11-03
Could this entry match your disk?

MakeMKV can use KEYDB.cfg as an alternative source of keys, should it not find a key of its own - see these instructions for details.

KEYDB.cfg is updated regularly by people across the Internet as new disks appear, and so it is always worth trying. But failing that, you really do have no choice but to wait for MakeMKV to process your dump file.
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

thaelis wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:45 am
The other responses indicating an "volume key unknown" error for that particular release makes me wonder if I don't have the same issue. How can I check this please ?
The "volume key unknown" error means that MakeMKV cannot decrypt the disk, which requires that the drive recognize and be able to mount the disk first. Can you at least see the files on the disk in (say) Windows File Explorer, i.e. outside of MakeMKV at the Operating System level?

If you cannot even browse the disk then your problem isn't with MakeMKV.
thaelis

Post by thaelis »

Ok I understand thanks.
In my case the disc does not even show up in the windows explorer, so I can't see the files it contains.
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

thaelis wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:00 pm
Ok I understand thanks.
In my case the disc does not even show up in the windows explorer, so I can't see the files it contains.
Do you at least have another UHD-compatible drive to test the disk with? That drive would not need to support LibreDrive just to browse the disk's contents in Windows Explorer.
thaelis

Post by thaelis »

Sadly no, my spare drive is not known to be compatible with UHD. It would be a LG GGC-H20L drive.
Mysticlawn

Post by Mysticlawn »

MrPenguin wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:31 am
Mysticlawn wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:21 am
You should probably still email the .tgz dump file that MakeMKV has created to svq@makemkv.com, just in case ...

The latest KEYDB also contains this entry:

Code: Select all

0x3357A1B99EDCD067611BF823E30A48159E6DDF95 = Face Off (Face/Off) | D | 2023-11-03
Could this entry match your disk?

MakeMKV can use KEYDB.cfg as an alternative source of keys, should it not find a key of its own - see these instructions for details.

KEYDB.cfg is updated regularly by people across the Internet as new disks appear, and so it is always worth trying. But failing that, you really do have no choice but to wait for MakeMKV to process your dump file.
Dump submitted.

I tried the keydb method with no luck. Powershell says the hash is E8D5F4C3857FB01B2E4ADD4479623FD7E6AE8220
Mysticlawn

Post by Mysticlawn »

It's working now!
thaelis

Post by thaelis »

On my end, I ordered a new copy and it is recognized both by the player and MakeMKV. Not sure to know why previous copy, which I returned was not detected by PC player but it does not matter that much anymore.