Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
BadSector81

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by BadSector81 »

mattmarsden wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:09 pm
Would someone be able to give me a quick run down of how to convert HDR10 mkvs to Dovi mkv using MadVR? Thanks very much.
use this: https://youtu.be/ZdFiqATo_j8
Gatorman

Post by Gatorman »

mattmarsden wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:09 pm
Would someone be able to give me a quick run down of how to convert HDR10 mkvs to Dovi mkv using MadVR? Thanks very much.
If you haven't already, you might want to look into using DaVinci Resolve. It uses the actual Dolby Vision algorithm and creates correct min_pq values, which will give you a better viewing experience.
More reasons to collect physical media. 2019 Shield TV Pro.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

smartrobot wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:26 am
Hello everyone,

I have been following this thread for a while now which lead me to buy a sony x800m2

My biggest frustration with this device was all of the clicking that was required to select a movie

I decided I needed a movie wall so I hacked together a prototype this weekend

It utilizes plex for all of the media metadata, posters and file paths

I put together a small python backend + nginx host video files

Cheers!

This looks very cool
Mattl0

Post by Mattl0 »

Hi @smartrobot, I would be very interested to try this.
smartrobot wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:26 am
Hello everyone,

I have been following this thread for a while now which lead me to buy a sony x800m2

My biggest frustration with this device was all of the clicking that was required to select a movie

I decided I needed a movie wall so I hacked together a prototype this weekend

It utilizes plex for all of the media metadata, posters and file paths

I put together a small python backend + nginx host video files

Cheers!

mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

Could someone explain when I would and wouldn't need to use cropping with dovi_scripts? If my source file 2160x3840 and destination file is the same but the video is encoded with black bars do I use cropping?
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

The crop switch in dovi_tool is a bit confusing and counterintuitive. You use it when target video has no black bars. When you set the crop option, dovi_tool sets all L5 values to zero. Which would dictate the dolby composer to assume ALL videopixels belonging to "active area".

In your case where black bars are part of the target video, you don't want to use crop.

[EDIT] Note, I am assuming here that your source and target video do have the same black bars.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:03 pm
So I guess is just a matter of software.
Not only software. FEL carries encoded video. You'll also need two decoders. One for baselayer and one for FEL.
MuffinMcFluffin

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

nekno wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:37 am
FubbAyH wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:04 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:09 pm
this seems to take the same processing time as converting the core to regular 640kbps 5.1...
is there a way to generate an ac3 core without re-encoding like they are trying to do in tsmuxer? even if the core is silent, I don't mind as long as TrueHD works.
Yeah, I've been trying to figure out if that's possible too. My guess is that because the TrueHD is based on the AC3 core, when you add the core it needs to re-encode the TrueHD too to match? (which I'm presuming is why it takes a while) So maybe it's possible to create a core that doesn't need the TrueHD data to be re-encoded, but I don't know anywhere near enough about the details of AC3 or TrueHD to know :?

Thank you for your scripts too!
Encoding DTS-HD takes in a lossless LPCM stream, encodes a lossy DTS core, and saves the rest of the discarded audio as lossless extensions. When decoding, the extensions are recombined with the lossy DTS core and decoded to arrive at the original lossless stream.

But TrueHD doesn't require an AC3 lossy core; it isn't a required part of the TrueHD spec. When an AC3 core is included with a TrueHD track it's because of the BD spec, where it's required for BD / UHD BD.

TrueHD tracks are comprised of "access units" where the audio has been divided into frames.

A TrueHD+AC3 track has audio frames alternating between TrueHD and AC3. It's just two completely separate streams interleaved into a single track, kind of how STDL puts two distinct video streams into separate NALUs of a single track.

A THD+AC3 track is the STDL of TrueHD audio streams, where a THD track with a separate AC3 track is DTDL.

So if you have a TrueHD track and an AC3 track, you have all of the encoded audio data you need, you just need to remux/repack the audio frames into the correct format.

That's what I understand they're working on for tsMuxer, and there is no other tool I've found that can do it.

eac3to can remux a TrueHD stream into a THD+AC3 stream, but has to encode a new AC3 stream to do it. It doesn't support remuxing an existing AC3 stream.

The mlp tool for accurately/losslessly editing THD streams has an open issue requesting support, but there's no activity on it.
I'll keep reading if this has been answered, so I'm sorry that this is rather old.

I just did this for Top Gun: Maverick, and the TrueHD track is now significantly louder than the lossy AC3 track. Is that normal, or is it doubling up by adding a track onto a track? I don't want any clipping or harsh sounds from it if so.

I didn't get to play it super loud to determine this yet, by the way. I was just curious if this is normal when this happens, since I can't mux it just as a THD with the AC3 track.

EDIT: Better yet, I muxed the original AC3 track with the THD+AC3 track. Should I have not done that? Is that why it is a louder volume? Should I leave the AC3 track completely out and it'll still be fine?
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:17 pm
nekno wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:37 am
eac3to can remux a TrueHD stream into a THD+AC3 stream, but has to encode a new AC3 stream to do it. It doesn't support remuxing an existing AC3 stream.
FYI thdmerge.exe can interleave a THD track and an (existing) AC3 track into THD+AC3. The author of DGDemux added it to the package. You'll find this it in RESET_9999's tool folder.
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:17 pm
I muxed the original AC3 track with the THD+AC3 track.
If you haven't done yet, maybe you want to try interleaving your native THD and AC3 audio with thdmerge.

As for volume difference, maybe eac3to doesn't include AC3 dialog normalisation metadata during THD --> AC3 recode. OTOH possibly dialog normalisation may have gone lost already during remux of your source.

Note that tsMuxer is able to mux "TrueHD only" nowadays. How your player will behave on it is a whole different matter of course. I can imagine certain BD players absolutely refusing to play. Just sayin'.
mad83

Post by mad83 »

@RESET_9999,

i have full tv show season which requires conversion from MKV to mp4 plus adding my local launguage audio with subtitles, is there any option to automate this in a loop?

Could i passthrough some variables to DoVi_Scripts.bat? or maybe there is something better.

Could you please advicce?
docnoir

Post by docnoir »

can someone share the most updated dovi devices playback spreadsheet? thank you
NiCE77

Post by NiCE77 »

DonaldFaQ wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:59 pm
FEL playback works only with 2 players, the OPPO and his Clone. And FEL will be only triggered if the Source is an ISO file or in the m2ts container.
There is no chance fpr playback FEL within mkv or mp4 container.
You're wrong, the Chromecast with Google TV 4K, TiVo Stream 4K and the Ugoos AM6B Plus supports FEL playback.
Gatorman

Post by Gatorman »

docnoir wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:18 am
can someone share the most updated dovi devices playback spreadsheet? thank you
Just find the latest post from Reset_9999. The link is in his signature.
More reasons to collect physical media. 2019 Shield TV Pro.
mad83

Post by mad83 »

Hi @RESET_9999,

I have DV 4K profile 5 mkv with top and bottom black bars. I would like to compress it with resolution change to 1080p with DV.
What should i do with extracted RPU before and after re-encodes ?
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Interesting post. I have no experience with DV @ 1080p.
I would like to know how downscaling a DV P5 baselayer can be achieved in the first place. Given Dolby proprietary IPTPQc2 color space that's used by P5, I can imagine issues rising.
As an educated guess concerning RPU, if the letterbox bars are kept during re-encode, you'd have to adjust top & bottom L5 values to the actual amount of vertical pixels that the bars occupy in the re-encoded 1080p video.
Should you crop the black bars out before re-encoding, the values have to be set to zero.