Offline operations

Everything related to MakeMKV
rupertm

Offline operations

Post by rupertm »

Hello Forum,

Im new to the MakeMKV family and getting use to the software. I use the software to back up my movies I own and move them to a server where my family can play them from wherever they are in the house. Call me paranoid, but I dont stream and prefer to keep things all local as I dont trust the internet to always be there or like Redfox maybe this access to this remote database wont always be there. Is there a way to download the database of all the discs out there so that I can run completely offline? From what I have read from others on the forum the software links or fetchs keys or something when you are ripping a disk to a harddrive. I know this DB will become obsolete every month as its updated, but at least once in a while I can fetch an update especially if I need something for a new release. But does the software support such a thing and is the DB available for download. If no, any developers reading this how about a feature enhancement for this a possibility in the future?

Thanks
dcoke22

Re: Offline operations

Post by dcoke22 »

MakeMKV only needs to download hashed keys for 4K UHDs. Regular DVDs and blu-rays will just work, no internet connection needed. Once MakeMKV downloads the necessary hashed key for a particular UHD disc, the hashed key is stored locally on your system and will be used to decrypt your disc in the future without needing to download anything from the internet.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

In addition to what dcoke22 wrote, there is the possibility to get UHD keys for unsupprted discs with this method.

viewtopic.php?p=145704#p145704
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

rupertm wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2024 1:51 am
I know this DB will become obsolete every month as its updated, but at least once in a while I can fetch an update especially if I need something for a new release.
The best way to ensure that the DB always contains keys for all of your disks is to contribute, of course. E.g. if you're using KEYDB, then at the very least, you can run

Code: Select all

> findvuk validateDisc drive=<your-uhd-drive-letter>
for each of your UHD disks. You'll likely want to disable bus encryption for this, i.e. with this setting in FindVUK.ini:

Code: Select all

Disable_Bus_Encryption_Cmd = "C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\makemkvcon.exe" info dev:$DRIVE$
assuming this is where you have installed MakeMKV.
rupertm

Post by rupertm »

Thank you everyone for your replies.

What I was mainly thinking about was in the future, when I add a disk to my collection and dont have internet access or the MakeMKV database and site are down. Say the disk is an older disk that is in the db, but new to me. If there was a way to load the entire database into my installation.

On the contribution front, the KEYDB, is this is stored locally on my machine. MrPenguin your suggesting those two commands will push the data from a disk I have inserted into my drive up to the cloud or will push a KeyDB my machine has on it?

Thank you all for your comments and help!
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

rupertm wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2024 4:33 pm
On the contribution front, the KEYDB, is this is stored locally on my machine. MrPenguin your suggesting those two commands will push the data from a disk I have inserted into my drive up to the cloud or will push a KeyDB my machine has on it?
Yes, MakeMKV can read a copy of the KEYDB.cfg file that exists in MakeMKV's data directory. (This directory is configurable via MakeMKV's View/Preferences/General tab.) However, it is up to you to keep this file up-to-date, although "findvuk synchronize" can help.

"findvuk validateDisc" validates the disk in your UHD drive against any corresponding information in the KEYDB.cfg file, and then uploads any corrections to that information into the cloud.