Time it takes for Makemkv to copy from dvds&blurays

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Denelab7866

Time it takes for Makemkv to copy from dvds&blurays

Post by Denelab7866 »

I’ve noticed that normally it takes makemkv to copy all the episodes of tv shows from their discs generally to be 15-20 min tops, but some disks take 45-60 min. I’m wondering if anyone has ideas why this happens or what do to in that event? I haven’t changed any settings in between discs. Would it possibly be that some discs are simply rated for lower read/write speeds?
dcoke22

Re: Time it takes for Makemkv to copy from dvds&blurays

Post by dcoke22 »

MakeMKV goes slower sometimes to improve the chances of getting a clean rip.

MakeMKV supports using more than one optical drive at the same time. Turn on 'Ask for single drive mode' in preferences and you can rip multiple discs at once.

MakeMKV drive speed control
segfaulted

Re: Time it takes for Makemkv to copy from dvds&blurays

Post by segfaulted »

In my experience, 15-20 minutes is normal for DVDs and maybe single-layer blurays. 45-60 minutes is typical for dual-layer blurays when ripping on an old drive or mildly dirty/scratched discs.

It is possible to encounter shows that spread episodes between dual and single layer bluray discs. For example, Crunchyroll/Funimation usually packs a season of 12 episodes across two discs: first disc is dual-layer with 8 episodes, second disc is single-layer with 4 episodes.