Thomas & Friends - Series 9

Everything related to MakeMKV
StixUK

Thomas & Friends - Series 9

Post by StixUK » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:42 pm

Hello,

I'm hoping you can give me a little advice on this disc.

I have been ripping children's discs for at least 12 months and I have come across this one today that lists all the 26 episodes in one MKV file and I cannot split it into the 26 Episodes like I have with previous children's discs.

I have tried rolling back to other versions: 1.7.0 1.8.4 1.8.10 and 1.8.11 have all been tried with no luck.

Is this a fault with MKV or is this how the disc has been created?

Also, how can I make it work (i.e have 26 separately labelled episodes instead of 1 4hr 20m DVD in one continous block)?

Any help appreciated.

Stix

Woodstock

Re: Thomas & Friends - Series 9

Post by Woodstock » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:30 pm

MakeMKV does not split on chapter boundaries right now.

Tools that WILL let you split at chapter boundaries after the rip include the tools in the MKVToolnix set, and Handbrake.

You rip to the monolithic MKV, then you can run the tool of your choice to break it apart. Both can be scripted using batch files.

StixUK

Post by StixUK » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:18 pm

"Both can be scripted using batch files"

Can you elaborate what this means as I am a relative novice when it comes to the intricacies of technology?

Once I have split them, am I then able to convert to MP4 files using Freemake as I compress my MKV to MP4 after I have ripped to MKVfile to hard drive.

Regards

Stix :)

ndjamena

Post by ndjamena » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:33 pm

Does each episode consist of a single chapter in the large file or multiple chapters?

-Edit- or at least do the episodes consist of a predictable number of chapters?

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:12 pm

What ndjamena asks is key.

I recommend a visit to handbrake.fr, and downloading Handbrake. It is pretty simple for novices to run, and works well with MKV files as both a source and destination, AND with MP4 as the destination.

You can start with the "release" version, but, if you start dealing with Bluray disks, you will want to look at the "nightly builds", which have features not available in the release (which is over a year old). Check the "Community and Support" page for links to "how to do things".

It's actually as simple as loading the MKV file into Handbrake, selecting one of the "presets" that describes your target application. After that, you can choose which chapters make up the first episode, give that episode a name, and click "Add to queue". Select chapters that make up the next episode, give that a name to save to, and click "Add to queue" again. Repeat as necessary.

I use DOS scripts to do this with Anime programs.

StixUK

Post by StixUK » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:24 pm

It is 26 chapters, which represents the 26 separate episodes on the disc. This makes up the 26 episodes from Series 9.

I think I tried to use Handbrake before but I was having issues with AV Sync, so I found ripping as .mkv and then converting using Freemake eliminated this issue.

So if I use Handbrake it is the same process, rip through MakeMKV then convert using Handbrake?

I don't deal with Blu-rays, just DVD discs.

ndjamena

Post by ndjamena » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:40 pm

That's simple enough then, download MKVToolNix, fire up the MKVMerge GUI (MMG), load the file, switch to the global tab, select 'split before chapters' in 'Split mode' then type 'all' in 'Chapter numbers', press 'Start Muxing' and you're done.

StixUK

Post by StixUK » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:27 pm

Thanks ever so much - worked perfectly!