Ghosting of Movement - Bluray Copies

Everything related to MakeMKV
drunkwithpower

Ghosting of Movement - Bluray Copies

Post by drunkwithpower » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:54 pm

I have noticed on many of my bluray copies that there is a definite ghosting or blurring when characters move during a scene. This is while streaming the content to a Boxee Box or Samsung SMART TV, and the ghosting appears in the exact same spot no matter what device I play the movie on. I tried copying the movie again with MakeMKV, but the ghosting appears in the exact same spots. My connectivity is wired gigabit and I never get any buffering once the movie starts, so I am assuming it's probably not a dropped frame or two.

Has anyone else noticed this?

crowfax

Re: Ghosting of Movement - Bluray Copies

Post by crowfax » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:51 pm

I can't say I've noticed. I stream using Twonky from my PC to my WD TV Live.

It must be related to the decoding, as MakeMKV doesn't make any changes to the streams during the ripping process.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox

drunkwithpower

Post by drunkwithpower » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:31 pm

I am streaming to the Samsung TV via Serviio v.6.0.1.

After further testing, I get the same ghosting whether I stream the movies or play them back locally. I wonder if it has something to do with the hardware I am using to copy the blurays?

Dell PC
Intel 8200 Quad Proc
4Gb RAM
Windows 7
LG BH12LS38 12x Bluray Player
2TB Western Digital WD20EACS Drives

Guess I could turn on the error logging in MakeMKV and try copying one of the movies over again. I don't know what else to do.

crowfax

Post by crowfax » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:28 pm

You can use the "backup" button in MakeMKV. It will copy the whole disc to your hard drive and tell you if there are any errors.

If no errors are detected then the video looks the way it was intended to.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox