Paid services by fellow forum members. Not affiliated with MakeMKV.
-
dwift
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2025 1:20 am
Post
by dwift » Wed Dec 10, 2025 1:35 am
Hello all,
A bit of a weird post (especially if you are young...). I have a black Pioneer 212 and it works great. The only problem is, I have a beige computer case and the black drive sticks out like a sore thumb.
After many weeks of searching, I have accepted I will not be able to easily find the BDR-212XJ (Japan only?) that came in beige.
The alternative idea that I had was finding some sort of donor drive with similar construction, to swap the plastics from (bezel, tray cover, eject button?) but I'm not sure if this is a good path to go down.
If anyone can give me advice or has a lead on a 212XJ in beige... I would be really grateful

Last edited by dwift on Thu Dec 11, 2025 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Billycar11
- Posts: 6239
- Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am
Post
by Billycar11 » Wed Dec 10, 2025 5:38 am
just take the front cover off and tray and plasti dip it the color you want
Last edited by Billycar11 on Wed Dec 10, 2025 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
MartyMcNuts
- Posts: 5088
- Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm
Post
by MartyMcNuts » Wed Dec 10, 2025 6:33 am
dwift wrote: Wed Dec 10, 2025 1:35 am
Hello all,
A bit of a weird post (especially if you are young...). I have a black Pioneer 212 and it works great. The only problem is, I have an beige computer case and the black drive sticks out like a sore thumb.
After many weeks of searching, I have accepted I will not be able to easily find the BDR-212XJ (Japan only?) that came in beige.
The alternative idea that I had was finding some sort of donor drive with similar construction, to swap the plastics from (bezel, tray cover, eject button?) but I'm not sure if this is a good path to go down.
If anyone can give me advice or has a lead on a 212XJ in beige... I would be really grateful
It would probably be easier to get yourself a new, black PC case.
-
Billycar11
- Posts: 6239
- Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am
Post
by Billycar11 » Wed Dec 10, 2025 6:34 am
MartyMcNuts wrote: Wed Dec 10, 2025 6:33 am
It would be easier to get yourself a new, black case.
Was going to suggest the same thing

-
Coopervid
- Posts: 4762
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 pm
Post
by Coopervid » Wed Dec 10, 2025 11:41 am
dwift wrote: Wed Dec 10, 2025 1:35 am
Hello all,
A bit of a weird post (especially if you are young...). I have a black Pioneer 212 and it works great. The only problem is, I have an beige computer case and the black drive sticks out like a sore thumb.
After many weeks of searching, I have accepted I will not be able to easily find the BDR-212XJ (Japan only?) that came in beige.
The alternative idea that I had was finding some sort of donor drive with similar construction, to swap the plastics from (bezel, tray cover, eject button?) but I'm not sure if this is a good path to go down.
If anyone can give me advice or has a lead on a 212XJ in beige... I would be really grateful
I suggest also a black case. This is the one I have and it can accept 2 5,25" optical drives. Most cases today don't have any. BE QUIET Pure Base 600.
-
Billycar11
- Posts: 6239
- Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am
Post
by Billycar11 » Wed Dec 10, 2025 12:50 pm
im pretty sure having a beige pc at this time is a very intentional choice so thats why they want to change drive not case
-
flojo
- Posts: 348
- Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:27 am
- Location: El Paso
Post
by flojo » Wed Dec 10, 2025 1:19 pm
If you can use CAD at all to any extent you can have one 3D printed from JLCPCB. I use them for my SMD PCBs but I have used them twice for SLA printing and they were as fast as you can expect. The current maximum SLA size is 580*580*390mm, so technically you could have your entire case SLA printed.
https://jlcpcb.com/3d-printing/
FWIW, if you've never used CAD this project would be an amazing tutorial for you as it's basically a sketch, a extrude and maybe a couple of boolean operations... a very, very good beginners tutorial.
-
dwift
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2025 1:20 am
Post
by dwift » Thu Dec 11, 2025 12:05 am
Hey everyone, thanks for the quick input on this dilemma I am facing!
Indeed, the beige computer case is a very intentional choice. I like the idea of going the 3D printing route, flojo! Finding somebody near me to help me prototype on a relatively inexpensive printer could be a great move before getting something production quality from a reputable manufacturer like JLC.
Plastidip seems to be pretty low risk too - thanks Billycar11.