Windows Explorer Crash

Everything related to MakeMKV
Monkeylord

Windows Explorer Crash

Post by Monkeylord » Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:42 pm

Not sure where I can look on my system for any more info, and Google hasn't helped at all.

Every time I use MakeMKV, Windows Explorer (Win 11) crashes at least once. Usually more though. I don't see any problems until I try and make the taskbar appear or open a new file explorer window. At that point nothing hapens unless I repeatedly click on a blank part of the desktop or spam the windows key on my keyboard. After a few seconds windows explorer shuts down and restarts (screen flashes black then white then back to my wallpaper) and any open programs end up in a different order.

It's not a huge problem, but it is supremely annoying and only happens when I use MakeMKV so I'm convinced it's being caused by some compatibility issue or another. This never happened when I was running Win 7 or Win 10. Trying to run in various compatibility modes do not help, however.

Am I alone in this and does anyone have a potential solution? Happy to provide any info that I can.

Flesh

Re: Windows Explorer Crash

Post by Flesh » Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:45 am

I've had the same issue since forever - I usually just restart explorer.exe after using makemkv out of habit.

bmillham

Post by bmillham » Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:56 am

Test your memory. Failing memory can cause many strange problems. And in my experience web browsers are real sensitive to bad memory (probably because they are memory hogs)

Flesh

Post by Flesh » Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:22 pm

Donno if it is memory related - I remember going for many, many passes of memtest since I've setup my rig (without fail) & only makemkv does this. Mild inconvenience at worst for me to restart explorer.exe

bmillham

Post by bmillham » Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:22 pm

Memory can fail. Just because it was working 6 (or whatever) months ago does not mean that it hasn't failed since.

Flesh

Post by Flesh » Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:54 am

I've experienced it on two different systems with Windows 11 having file explorer hang after USING (not just launching, but doing active work on a disk). Maybe it happens after I specifically read more than 1 disk, sometimes not. It isn't guaranteed, but it is fairly consistent. Replicated with ddr4, one with ddr5, different disk readers on both, both systems have no issues with any other application, but fairly recently passed memtest. BIOS up to date on both (this happened on any bios version I've had). This happens regardless of overclocking, undervolting, or running stock (including with XMP disabled). The amount of tinkering I do is why I'm confident that it ain't a memory issue. No WHEAs logged when it happens either.

I'm a touch to lazy to pull third system and/or fourth system that have ecc ddims (ddr4 & 5 respectively as well), move over a disk reader, tossing windows 11 onto a system, and test further.

I'm just going to straight blame windows file explorer for being lack-luster and having some sort of panic after MakeMKV has its way with Drive G:, or whatever the reader is on. I don't remember having this problem with Windows 10.

IMO, just Ctrl+Shit+ESC, go to details, restart explorer.exe after ripping a disk & skip it crashing preemptively is the easy workaround.