version expires?

Everything related to MakeMKV
mejiw

version expires?

Post by mejiw » Fri May 17, 2024 3:12 pm

I am confused. MakeMKV seems to have 2 expiration dates. One for the license and a second one. I understand the date about the license, and I also know that this is going to be unlimited when buying a license, right?

But the second one? When considering to buy this software, I want to be sure, that there isn't another mechanism in place that will prevent the software from working at some point. Can anyone explain what this is?

dcoke22

Re: version expires?

Post by dcoke22 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:02 pm

If you buy MakeMKV it'll work without expiration. You can use it on any platform MakeMKV supports (Windows, macOS, or Linux). I purchased MakeMKV a few years ago and haven't had to update my license key since. The only reason I notice that the beta key has expired is because folks start complaining on the forum! :)

Woodstock

Re: version expires?

Post by Woodstock » Fri May 17, 2024 4:03 pm

Two expiration dates applies to unregistered copies. The "master" is when your key expires, which is (currently) the end of June this year. The second is when Bluray decoding expires, which is 30 days after an unregistered version starts using it.

If you first decode a BD today, in 30 days, that authorization expires, for unregistered versions. You would need to "reload" the current key to extend it another 30 days. If you reload the key a day before it expires, then your BD authorization exceeds the key life.

Yes, confusing for non-registered users. But, some people insist on never registering for a variety of reasons.