Ripping skipped titles

Everything related to MakeMKV
mcfarns

Ripping skipped titles

#1 Post by mcfarns » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi all,

I have an issue with a dvd that I'm trying to rip. There are multiple titles of each episode on the disc and for each episode, one of the titles rips as really choppy and the other rips normally. The problem is that the first episode only has the really choppy copy.

There are several titles on the disc with the following error:

Title ___ is equal to title ___ and was skipped.

I suspect that one of these might be a better copy of the first episode.

Does anyone know how to tell MakeMKV not to skip duplicate titles?

Thanks.

ndjamena

Re: Ripping skipped titles

#2 Post by ndjamena » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:14 pm

MakeMKV wrote:Title ___ is equal to title ___ and was skipped.
MakeMKV is telling you the titles are exactly the same. Being identical means there's no reason one would be better than another. I believe these titles are created on the disc in situations where there are different 'versions' with different 'default' audio or subtitle tracks. MakeMKV doesn't use the DVDs default track flags, which leaves no difference at all.

mcfarns

#3 Post by mcfarns » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:39 am

ndjamena wrote:
MakeMKV is telling you the titles are exactly the same. Being identical means there's no reason one would be better than another. I believe these titles are created on the disc in situations where there are different 'versions' with different 'default' audio or subtitle tracks. MakeMKV doesn't use the DVDs default track flags, which leaves no difference at all.
Hi ndjamena,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that MakeMKV is telling me that the titles are identical and that's why the title in question is being skipped. Let me provide a few extra details to explain how I have arrived at my current situation:

On the disc there are three episodes for this particular television series. There is a choppy copy of episodes 1, 2, and 3. Each of these choppy copies begin with a "previously on..." segment. Episodes 2 & 3 also have much cleaner copies that do not have the "previously on..." segment.

My suspicion is that episode 1 has a "previously on..." segment on both copies. But I am trying to rip the second copy. MakeMKV marks it as a duplicate (which it is) and skips it. I am simply looking for a way to rip the duplicate title anyway.

Any help would be much appreciated.

mplsboywonder

#4 Post by mplsboywonder » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:34 am

ndjamena wrote:

Just because a title is equal to another title does not at all mean the titles are "identical". The easiest way is to make a complete backup, and then delete the "equal to file" you do not want.

hope this helps