Where does MKV get Playlist Titles?

Everything related to MakeMKV
preserve

Where does MKV get Playlist Titles?

Post by preserve »

So I couldn't attach the image - "the board attachment quota has been reached"

See attached image - MakeMKV displaying playlist titles... and also check out the Comment that MakeMKV gives: "Catching Fire Retail Canada"

The computer I'm using isn't connected to the internet. So is this data on the disc itself, or is MakeMKV identifying this disc?

SF means Special Feature? Any idea what SEG means?

Some more example codes, from Mockingjay Part 1:

There are special features such as "SF_Hope" and then all the same ones again, this time with SEG in front: "SEG SF_Hope"

Then there's "SF_DS_Snow" for example, Special Feature Deleted Scene I guess?

Then for the feature, there's "FPL_MainFeature" vs "SPBD Copy Disclaimer Playlist" - I guess it shows a copy disclaimer before starting the feature?

Anyway, would love to know what all the codes are, and what they stand for - but when this does pop up for some discs, it's awesome, SO helpful - so thanks MakeMKV, wherever this info is coming from.

If MakeMKV IS identifying the disc and has this information "on file," that's awesome, I'd gladly contribute this data for more discs, to help others.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Woodstock

Re: Where does MKV get Playlist Titles?

Post by Woodstock »

There are a lot of things that can be authored into a disk, and not all disks take advantage of it. MakeMKV will display what it finds, and take advantage of it for some functions, like generating file names.

As far as I can determine, MakeMKV does not access internet for any of that information. It only needs internet to check for new versions and, if needed, any special SVQ files needed to decode a disk that doesn't work with the built-in decoding information.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Woodstock wrote:There are a lot of things that can be authored into a disk, and not all disks take advantage of it. MakeMKV will display what it finds, and take advantage of it for some functions, like generating file names.
Cool.

Uploaded image to imgur: http://imgur.com/a/8dn1q

If that's the case, the authoring has self-defeated their playlist obfuscation :lol:
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

preserve wrote:
Woodstock wrote:There are a lot of things that can be authored into a disk, and not all disks take advantage of it. MakeMKV will display what it finds, and take advantage of it for some functions, like generating file names.
Cool.

Uploaded image to imgur: http://imgur.com/a/8dn1q

If that's the case, the authoring has self-defeated their playlist obfuscation :lol:
This information is encoded and encrypted (!) inside BD-java code. MakeMKV decrypts it in order to counter "fake playlist" protections. The playlist names are assigned by the disc author and makeMKV has no clue what they mean. So far FPL_MainFeature was always the "true" playlist, but names can change any time.
Midwest Mike

Post by Midwest Mike »

2016-10-31 Preserve wrote:
...SF means Special Feature? Any idea what SEG means?...
...There are special features such as "SF_Hope" and then all the same ones again, this time with SEG in front: "SEG SF_Hope"...
...Then for the feature, there's "FPL_MainFeature"...
...would love to know what all the codes are, and what they stand for...

-----------

5½ years later and I'm also wondering what these codes mean. When I attempt to search the forum "SEG" is ignored as it is too common of a term. When I did a web search, one of the top answers just led me back to this page, and I didn't find anything else online. If the answer is under the FAQ page, I missed it there.

So, is there a list of all the common codes and their meanings? I've puzzled over this for dozens of discs and have looked previously to no avail. What does SEG mean? What does FPL mean? Other common codes and their meanings would be appreciated as well.