Problem scanning The Champions episode

Everything related to MakeMKV
RAHRL

Problem scanning The Champions episode

Post by RAHRL »

I have problems ripping the first episode (S01E01 ∙ The Beginning) of the tv series The Champions (1968-1969).

The series has 30 episodes and all other 29 episodes rip fine.

All episodes have a duration of around 48 minutes and consist of 10 chapters, except the first episode which has a duration of 55 minutes and consists of 11 chapters. This can easily be seen when the episode is played back from dvd disc with VLC Player.

After ripping with MakeMKV and no errors, the mkv file of the first episode has a duration of less than 42 minutes and contains only 10 chapters. When played, the video is suddenly cut off at that point. No other anomalies in the video.

When I open the disc in manual mode, MakeMKV comes up with the the right duration of 55 minutes, but when ripped, this time the MKV file suddenly has a duration of 45 minutes and, again, contains only 10 chapters.

Additionally, the dvd disc contains an alternative version of the first episode and MakeMKV does not see that alternative version.

I am kind of confused here. It seems MakeMKV does not scan that 11th chapter of the first episode for some reason. Anything I can do about this? I am using MakeMKV for Windows X64 version 1.17.4.
RAHRL

Re: Problem scanning The Champions episode

Post by RAHRL »

I was able to solve this by making a backup (iso image) on hard disk and open the image manually.

Using the title #2 as a search string did not solve the problem, but explicitly specifying the chapters (search string 2:1-11) did.

The ripped episode now has a duration of 55 minutes and consists of 11 chapters as it should.

Still don't know why this happens and MakeMKV still does not see the alternative first episode that is on the disc, but I am satisfied as it is now.