Another dumb question

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
georgesgiralt

Another dumb question

Post by georgesgiralt »

Hi Guys,
Is it possible and if yes how change or suppress the region code in a DVD ISO image ?
Thanks in advance for your help and advices !
Have a nice and bright day.
PegasusPilot

Re: Another dumb question

Post by PegasusPilot »

Hey georgesgiralt,

Did you ever get any assistance from someone about this? I don’t see any responses below your original request, and you got me thinking about this too now. I did a not-insignificant amount of searching myself, including on the doom9 forum, but ALL of the info I could find only explained the different media region codes themselves and (potentially) how to circumvent the region check on the device.

Since home-made movies are all Region 0 (region-free) and all other region codes (I believe) are only found on officially licensed/professionally-manufactured sourced disks, my best guess is that the region is hard-coded into the disk itself prior to/during burning. I have no way to prove that (so I might be making an ass of myself) and I can’t find any information regarding the disks, besides that the region code is read by the player/drive at initial spin-up and will either allow further loading or kill the read operation. Occam’s Razor, or just bullshit?

Regardless, I haven’t experienced an issue with inability to play a backed-up DVD copy due to region coding yet (all of my drives are region 1); I’m going to further assume that this has to do with LibreDrive reading the raw data from your disk without regarding any hard-coded region designation, or that it’s not affected because the backed-up ISO won’t have this region designation anyways.

Thoughts?
Cheers friend(s)
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

^ that gives a reasonable Wikipedia level of explanation. The short, short version is DVD players have firmware that checks a well known location on a DVD for the region code programmed onto the disc. If the disc is outside the region the player is set to, the player refuses to play the disc (even though technically it could play it just fine).

LibreDrive functionality in MakeMKV (with proper optical drives) allows MakeMKV to ignore this behavior and produce .mkv files which don't have the concept of region coding.

I can't say either way about what MakeMKV does with region coding when it produces an .iso backup of a DVD. I would guess it does not change it in any way. There probably is some other software that can remove the region coding from a DVD .iso backup, but I don't know what it is.
georgesgiralt

Post by georgesgiralt »

Hello,
Changing the region code involve changing a file in the file tree of the DVD. Which is read only.
So if you know how to change a read only file on a read only file system, bob's your uncle....
exitguy

Post by exitguy »

georgesgiralt wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:10 pm
Hello,
Changing the region code involve changing a file in the file tree of the DVD. Which is read only.
So if you know how to change a read only file on a read only file system, bob's your uncle....
And if you don't know then Martha is your aunt .....