Visual commentary - what is this?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Legenista
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 12:50 am

Visual commentary - what is this?

Post by Legenista »

I have this DVD:

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=422

And as you can tell from these images:

https://imgur.com/a/ec9i4VA

It has an extra feature called VISUAL COMMENTARY. I used a program to create an ISO, with the option "Rip to Image".

Then I used MAKEMKV to convert everything into Matroska.

Also used PowerDVD to access the DVD from this decrypted ISO, mounted.

The problem is that no matter where I go (Matroska or PowerDVD) I can only see the following:

- The "visual commentary" is an audio commentary featuring these two people. Besides that it is a subtitle (which I checked using SUBTITLE EDIT) with over 2 hours saying the same thing:

>>>>>>>>
In order to properly view the video commentary you must set your DVD player to 4x3 display mode. Consult your DVD player manual for specific instructions.
>>>>>>>>

So what is this extra feature? Because I can only see this audio commentary and this subtitle saying the above.

I am now assuming this extra feature can't be viewed using any known player (like PowerDVD) or converted into Matroska by any software. So the only way of seeing is using a regular DVD player?

Image

Meaning there's no way to access this using a PC?

This is the first time I am seeing this problem. I thought everything, no matter what, was accessible using a PC and specific software, so we could (if we wanted) ditch a regular TV and DVD/BD/4K player.

This visual commentary suggests otherwise.
dcoke22
Posts: 4580
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:25 pm

Re: Visual commentary - what is this?

Post by dcoke22 »

I have this movie on blu-ray. When I use the .mkv with MPV (https://mpv.io) I can see the 'visual commentary.' It seems like their attempt on Mystery Science Theater 3000.
mib.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.