Salt

Everything related to MakeMKV
bob2701

Salt

Post by bob2701 »

Hi all,
I'm having a problem with the DVD Salt. I am able to make a working mkv file but it does not include the English subtitles that appear occasionally through out the movie. Anyone have an idea how to correct this?
bob2701

Re: Salt

Post by bob2701 »

Bump.
vernongreen

Post by vernongreen »

bob2701 wrote:Hi all,
I'm having a problem with the DVD Salt. I am able to make a working mkv file but it does not include the English subtitles that appear occasionally through out the movie. Anyone have an idea how to correct this?
You are missing the forced subtitles. Subtitles show up 1 of 3 different ways (on DVDs):

1) The are embedded in the Video stream

Solution: N/A (The subtitles are automatically displayed)

2) They are on a separate subtitle track

Solution: Use mkvmerge to set the appropriate subtitle track's "Forced track flag" to "yes". (depending on the player, you may want to set the "Default track flag" to "yes" as well. More and more players are honoring the mkv "forced" flag.

3) They are embedded in the English subtitle tracks

Solution: Run a tool like SubRip on the DVD. SubRip is an OCR tool that will dig out all the subtitles and allow you to save them as a .srt file. Make sure you go into Options->Global Options and set the "Forced subtitles only" dialog button. Once you get the subtitles saved, you can import them into the mkv with mkvmerge and set the default and forced flags as described above.

I simplified things a bit so make sure you read about each program first, then try it. It might take a few tries before you get it.
vernongreen

Post by vernongreen »

vernongreen wrote:
You are missing the forced subtitles. Subtitles show up 1 of 3 different ways (on DVDs):

Solution: Use mkvmerge to set the appropriate subtitle track's "Forced track flag" to "yes". (depending on the player, you may want to set the "Default track flag" to "yes" as well. More and more players are honoring the mkv "forced" flag.

Solution: Run a tool like SubRip on the DVD. SubRip is an OCR tool that will dig out all the subtitles and allow you to save them as a .srt file. Make sure you go into Options->Global Options and set the "Forced subtitles only" dialog button. Once you get the subtitles saved, you can import them into the mkv with mkvmerge and set the default and forced flags as described above.

I simplified things a bit so make sure you read about each program first, then try it. It might take a few tries before you get it.
P.S. So far, I have had to use the SubRip method with Angels & Demons and Boondock Saints II.
bob2701

Post by bob2701 »

vernongreen wrote:

Thanks, I'll give it a try.