Removing subtitles doesn't make file sizes much smaller
-
kelsien
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:26 pm
Removing subtitles doesn't make file sizes much smaller
Hi. I'm new to using MakeMKV. I'm working on ripping some of my tv shows off dvds. I ripped 6 episodes from 1 disc and they are 4.94 GB in total. Then, I realized I could unselect the subtitle tracks. So I re-ripped them, but the total size only went down to 4.92 GB. Is this typical? Is there another way to reduce the file size? I plan on running them through Handbrake to compress them a bit (as found in other threads here). Thanks for the help!
-
Woodstock
- Posts: 10977
- Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm
Re: Removing subtitles doesn't make file sizes much smaller
Subtitles take up very little space in video, with occasional exceptions.
Leaving them out would primarily be a benefit if you have a player that displays them when you don't want them.
Leaving them out would primarily be a benefit if you have a player that displays them when you don't want them.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ about BETA and PERMANENT keys.
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
FAQ about BETA and PERMANENT keys.
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
-
Bucher
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:19 am
Re: Removing subtitles doesn't make file sizes much smaller
Subtitles are quite often in .srt format (plain text). I just reencoded videos with Handbrake. Btw, x265 is more size-efficient in comparison to x264.
domyhomework4me.onl aesthetic homework titles and topics
-
Woodstock
- Posts: 10977
- Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm
Re: Removing subtitles doesn't make file sizes much smaller
Actually, text-based subtitles are rare on commercial DVD and BD sources.
But the image-based subtitles uses on DVD (VOBSUB) and BD (PGS) are actually pretty space-efficient; you have a transparent image with a limited color pallet compressed in a manner similar to GIF or PNG encoding, a time to start displaying it, and a duration for how long to display it.
But the image-based subtitles uses on DVD (VOBSUB) and BD (PGS) are actually pretty space-efficient; you have a transparent image with a limited color pallet compressed in a manner similar to GIF or PNG encoding, a time to start displaying it, and a duration for how long to display it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ about BETA and PERMANENT keys.
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
FAQ about BETA and PERMANENT keys.
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
-
dcoke22
- Posts: 4580
- Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:25 pm
Re: Removing subtitles doesn't make file sizes much smaller
As an example, I looked at a MKV rip of a DVD movie I have using MediaInfo.
The total size is 5.66GiB.
The video is 5.02GiB of that total.
The AC-3 5.1 audio track of 370MiB.
There are two stereo AC-3 audio tracks at 132MiB each.
There are 3 subtitle tracks. The smallest is 3.73MiB. The largest is 6.89MiB.
Compressing your rips is a good way to save space. Also, external hard drives can often be had for less than $20 per terabyte (in the US at least).
The total size is 5.66GiB.
The video is 5.02GiB of that total.
The AC-3 5.1 audio track of 370MiB.
There are two stereo AC-3 audio tracks at 132MiB each.
There are 3 subtitle tracks. The smallest is 3.73MiB. The largest is 6.89MiB.
Compressing your rips is a good way to save space. Also, external hard drives can often be had for less than $20 per terabyte (in the US at least).