Pause / Glitch in some rips

Everything related to MakeMKV
c1823a
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:35 pm

Pause / Glitch in some rips

Post by c1823a »

Maybe this has been answered and I just couldn't find it but here goes; I've had (3) Blu-rays that end up with pauses and/or glitches sometime during the movie. I believe the pause or glitch only happens once during movie playback but it is enough to stop Handbrake from encoding wherever the glitch is located in the movie. To clarify, I just ripped (backed up my purchased copy) "Life of the Party" Blu-ray; when I try to convert with Handbrake, Handbrake finishes the job at around 38 minutes into the movie. If I play the MakeMKV rip directly with VLC, there is a glitch that happens at around 38 minutes but VLC will continue to play the MKV file. Is there a setting I am missing or has anyone experienced this and found a solution. It does not seem to be from one particular movie label such as Lionsgate; I though it was at first since the first two that did this were Lionsgate movies but the third is not.
Kettykrueger
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:29 pm

Re: Pause / Glitch in some rips

Post by Kettykrueger »

I've recently had this issue too, to the extent that when played on Plex on the Apple TV, the app pinwheeled, over and over. When I tried the same file on VLC, it crashed!

I'd love to know what the problem is.

In order to diagnose the problem, I've tried:
  • moving the file to a local drive as opposed to an external (via USB 3.0)
    run scans on all my hard drives - they are clean
    rebooted server and Apple TV
    re-ripped the disc with a full back-up, the individual titles from that, which helped and stopped it glitching in the same place but glitched at other point
I can accept that I have some bad rips but I thought MakeMKV didn't allow bad data? Is there anything that can be done to ensure a perfect rip?
c1823a
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:35 pm

Re: Pause / Glitch in some rips

Post by c1823a »

In my particular case, I changed the "DVD structure protection removal method" setting in Make MKV from "Auto" to "CellWalk" and ended up with a good rip this time. It was just trial and error for me, not sure why it worked exactly......
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.