Error while converting blu-ray to .mkv

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Smithwess

Error while converting blu-ray to .mkv

Post by Smithwess »

Hi all,
at always I get an error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while writing data to '/Volumes/Qdownload/title00.mkv' at offset '123456789' while converting blu-ray structured disk to .mkv file. Uses last v1.7.10 of MakeMKV software for Mac OS X. Source blu-ray files are on the remote catalog of linux server and destination catalog for .mkv files on same server too. Otherwise no errors occured if I change the destination to local OS X directory, for example. This is good but uncomfortable since it presupposes an extra copy operation. I use the smb net protocol across all network.
Thanks, Vadim.
Woodstock

Re: Error while converting blu-ray to .mkv

Post by Woodstock »

The issue is likely the SMB networking - there are a lot of circumstances where an SMB share will be viewed as having a 4GB limit on file size, even if such a limit does not actually exist. Some versions of OS/X limit this to 2GB, due to a bug. The operating system will prevent writing beyond that point, even if there is plenty of space.

Sometimes this is "cured" by mapping the drive as a resource on the local machine, as opposed to using a network URLs, but it appears that you have already done that.

Can you COPY one of the result files from the local drive to the network drive successfully?
Smithwess

Post by Smithwess »

Woodstock, thank you.
It seems to me smb networking is the real reason of this issue too. But why I haven't this error on MakeMKV running under Windows 7 or 8 instead Mountain Lion? I venture to suggest that the implementation of the smb protocol on Windows is some different.

Yes, I can successfully copy various collection of files of any length from a local both OS X and Windows machines to the remote Linux server directory.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Smithwess wrote:I venture to suggest that the implementation of the smb protocol on Windows is some different.
Microsoft have altered SMB a lot for Windows, everyone else uses the standards laid out in the original plans, then reverse engineers the changes Microsoft have made.

The Wikipedia page for SMB is very interesting if you're in the mood for a history lesson.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Smithwess

Post by Smithwess »

crowfax, thank you

I'll try though it will not be easy, I'm not a professional IT..
Smithwess

Post by Smithwess »

Hi guys,
Due to Appletalk protocol switched on server side and using client AFP share has helped to solve this issue. No errors occurred when I used this method.