DVDs subtitles skipping

Everything related to MakeMKV
hecya

DVDs subtitles skipping

Post by hecya »

I am using version 1.7.8 on Mac running MacOS 10.8.2. Some DVDs converted (not all of them) have some problems with subtitles when playing on a WD TV Live (latest generation).

The problem is that only a few of the subtitle texts are actually displayed. That is, a subtitle text appears at the proper time, then disappears and the next subtitle does not appear and this goes on for several seconds (about 20 or even more) until eventually a text is displayed that is correct in time but the intermediate ones are missing. This makes impossible to follow the story.

All mkv files that I have with this problem play fine on VLC showing all the subtitles texts. This problem is not random and always happens on the same files on the same timing. So I conclude that is something on the files themselves that is not decoded well by the player.

The latest movie I had with this issue is "The Double" and I have splitted a short scene (33 seconds) with a lot of dialog and with just a few subtitle texts displayed. The file size is 25.5 MB. How can I upload it?
Romansh

Re: DVDs subtitles skipping

Post by Romansh »

Are you using the new WDTV conversion profile or the default?
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

This is unrelated to the WDTV profile since unlike with PGS subs, the WDTV displays VobSubs also when they are uncompressed. However, quite some time ago I read about VobSub dropouts (due to missing end times of some items) having been fixed. Are you on the latest firmware?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
hecya

Post by hecya »

I am using the default profile and the firmware is the latest. The same problem happens with the same files on an old 2nd generation WD TV.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

You should post this on the official WDTV forum.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch