New user of MakeMkv - some observations that I have made.

Everything related to MakeMKV
Tempest

New user of MakeMkv - some observations that I have made.

Post by Tempest »

Hello all. I am a registered user of MakeMKV. I have been ripping my DVD collection for the last few weeks, and I would like to report that I have no major issues so far. However, I do have a couple of suggestions.

In another post someone had made the comment that they would like to have the drop down list removed for the Source. When I first read that comment, I didn't fully understand the issue, but I think that I can explain a little about why removing the drop down list might be a good idea. To speed up the ripping process, I installed 1 Blue ray player, and 2 Standard DVD Players. I then was able to run 3 instances of MakeMKV, and rip 3 movies at once. The drop down list is bit of an annoyance in this case, becauseI have to choose each source drive every time. It would be easier if you could browse to a drive in each instance of MakeMKV, and have that drive 'Locked In' to eliminate the repetitive task of source selection.

The second thing that gave me some problem was that if I ejected a DVD by pressing the button on the player, instead of using the eject button within MakeMKV, MakeMKV would become unresponsive. Not a big deal, I would just close that instance, and start a new one, but maybe there is a bug?

Lastly, I played around some with making my own GUI for makemkvcon64.exe, but I was unable to figure out how to determine which part of the DVD is Subtitles, Audio, Video, and of course what the available languages were. I had the idea that I could do a search on IMDB to get the correct title, and year for my movies from the Disc title, instead of having to type in the title in the search box at IMDB myself, and then pasting to text back into MakeMKV. If someone could help me to understand how to get the information on subtitles, etc. I would be more than happy to share my gui. The only thing better would be if this idea was incorporated into MakeMKV. :)

My GUI: (I did not have a disc inserted, so I typed in the title myself)

Thanks for the program!