Which Drive to Rip 3D Blu Rays?

Everything related to MakeMKV
bendowswell

Which Drive to Rip 3D Blu Rays?

Post by bendowswell »

Hello!

Wondering which drive I should purchase to start off my 3D Blu Ray ripping journey. Hoping to get something quick off of Amazon so that I can load up some of my 3D Blu Ray discs into my Quest 3 headset for an upcoming trip. Thank you!
segfaulted

Re: Which Drive to Rip 3D Blu Rays?

Post by segfaulted »

Generally speaking, you can use any normal blu-ray drive to rip 3D blu-rays with MakeMKV.

While I'll refrain from endorsing any particular product, I've personally been fine using these as my internal drives for ripping discs including 3D movies:
- LG WH14NS40 ... nice and affordable.
- Pioneer BDR-S13J-X ... very pricey japanese import. The US model is called BDR-S13U-X.
- Lite-on iHOS104 ... my first BD drive from 2010. It's old.

And my one external drive is an LG BP50NB40, which is a slim drive that works on a USB-A plug. MakeMKV seems to act a little funny with this drive on 3D discs, going for slower read speeds doing full backups of 3D discs, but normal speeds doing 3D mkv rips. Not sure what the deal is, or if it's just my drive in particular, but it works.

Now for getting the 3D movies to play on a Quest 3, I believe there's only one app for that natively supports playback of MVC video for bluray 3D. For other 3D player apps, you'll need to take the ripped files and re-encode the 3D video into a side-by-side (SBS) video using a tool such as BD3D2MK3D.
bendowswell

Post by bendowswell »

Got it. Thank you! Really appreciate your response, and your advice and meshes well with my initial research on the subject. Excited to get this going! I've got a rather large collection of about 150 3D Blu Rays and am really interested to see how they'll look on the headset with lossless quality
bendowswell

Post by bendowswell »

segfaulted wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:57 am
Generally speaking, you can use any normal blu-ray drive to rip 3D blu-rays with MakeMKV.

While I'll refrain from endorsing any particular product, I've personally been fine using these as my internal drives for ripping discs including 3D movies:
- LG WH14NS40 ... nice and affordable.
- Pioneer BDR-S13J-X ... very pricey japanese import. The US model is called BDR-S13U-X.
- Lite-on iHOS104 ... my first BD drive from 2010. It's old.

And my one external drive is an LG BP50NB40, which is a slim drive that works on a USB-A plug. MakeMKV seems to act a little funny with this drive on 3D discs, going for slower read speeds doing full backups of 3D discs, but normal speeds doing 3D mkv rips. Not sure what the deal is, or if it's just my drive in particular, but it works.

Now for getting the 3D movies to play on a Quest 3, I believe there's only one app for that natively supports playback of MVC video for bluray 3D. For other 3D player apps, you'll need to take the ripped files and re-encode the 3D video into a side-by-side (SBS) video using a tool such as BD3D2MK3D.
Thanks again! Ended up getting the LG WH14NS40 and have had no issues ripping a number of my 3D Blu Rays to my computer. I loaded them onto the Quest 3 without issue and played them using 4XVR media player. Worked like a charm!

Up next I would like to try out a 4K UHD Blu Ray to see what it looks like in my PCVR Varjo Aero headset. I'm thinking it would look pretty spectacular.

Do you have any recommendations on a 4K UHD Blu Ray drive to purchase? Thanks again
segfaulted

Post by segfaulted »

bendowswell wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:35 pm
Do you have any recommendations on a 4K UHD Blu Ray drive to purchase? Thanks again
The WH14NS40 should be able to read 4K bluray discs if you reflash it with another firmware version that is UHD capable.

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22896

At the very least, flashing the firmware for WH16NS60-1.02MK should be enough to get started with 4K discs.