Video Playback Problems

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
tobyhex

Video Playback Problems

Post by tobyhex »

All,
Thanks in advance for the help. I have tried on several attempts with different versions of makemkv to copy different blurays to no avail. Each time I try to play them back with either vlc or smplayer, I get glitchy or hesitating video but the audio continues. I do not think it is my hardware as I am running a corei7 920 with 8 gigs ram on W764. I use the standard copy to hard drive settings, only choosing the main title and normal audio(not hd).

Is there a player that might work better or settings I can change to get these to playback?
When I copy a bluray, I also notice that the mkv coming out is typically 20+gigs. That is fine as a have the space, but other then converting with something like handbrake, should the file be so large? I read others on this board saying they usually have a below 20GB file.

I am using makemkv 1.6.5 and vlc 1.1.8
Any and all help is appreciated.

When I have gotten large mkv files in the past from friends or off the net, both players seem to work just fine. I am wondering if I can narrow down the source to what I am doing. I have cleaned the discs and as far as I know the drive works just fine.

Thanks,
Tobyhex
tobyhex

Re: Video Playback Problems

Post by tobyhex »

anyone?
I am sorry if I missed a faq somewhere but I will be happy to look at it if someone can point me to it. I just would like to be able to view the same mkv quality as everyone else and that has to be a reason.
Thanks,
Toby
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
tobyhex

Post by tobyhex »

I forgot to mention that I have also tried smplayer and that did not solve the issue.
Any other ideas?
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

tobyhex wrote:Each time I try to play them back with either vlc or smplayer, I get glitchy or hesitating video but the audio continues. I do not think it is my hardware as I am running a corei7 920 with 8 gigs ram on W764. I use the standard copy to hard drive settings, only choosing the main title and normal audio(not hd).

Is there a player that might work better or settings I can change to get these to playback?
When I copy a bluray, I also notice that the mkv coming out is typically 20+gigs. That is fine as a have the space, but other then converting with something like handbrake, should the file be so large? I read others on this board saying they usually have a below 20GB file.
From my collection, I ripped Transformers 2 Revenge of the Fallen and Die Hard 4, both with HD audio. The former ended up at just under 40 gig, the latter just under 30gig, and it was a problem I experienced with just Transformers 2. Die Hard played fine.

That said, this advice here:
ToxicDreamz wrote:You should use VLC Media Player. If you ARE using VLC, go to the VLC preferences and go to the advanced settings > Video codecs > FFmpeg

You should now see an option that says "Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding". Set the box list next to it to "All". Save and restart VLC and now play your MKV file.

...was posted in the general discussion forum about the same sort of problem, and it greatly reduced the frequency with which it was happening with VLC (for me). If I also enable the "allow speed tricks" setting that's next to it, that actually just about completely fixes it, at least with VLC.

Still, both Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, and Windows Media Player, played the mkv without that video stuttering right off the bat.

For me to just get the stuttering problem with the huge Transformers rip, my gut feeling was that it was some kind of data transfer issue, like the player just wasn't setup to be able to handle file sizes that great. I would say, definitely not a problem with MakeMKV or whatever it's doing, because if that were the case, it'd be happening with every player.
ToxicDreamz

Post by ToxicDreamz »

I'd also like to point out that VLC for Mac OS X is 64-bit and is only available as 32-bit on Windows. Why this is, I have no idea... but that may also contribute to the poor performance of Blu-ray MKVs in Windows. After doing the above trick like I posted in the other thread, it makes Blu-ray movies play flawlessly in OS X. Media Player Classic alongside any typical codec pack will play the files just fine without any tweaks, like you said.
yergen

Post by yergen »

I had same trouble with VLC. Even after changing to all in ffmpeg. However when I added - use GPU acceleration(experimental) too - I got, finally, a smooth movie play. It stops very briefly sometimes but I can almost no see it.
raypinmau

Post by raypinmau »

yergen wrote:However when I added - use GPU acceleration(experimental) too - I got, finally, a smooth movie play. It stops very briefly sometimes but I can almost no see it.
Is it in the settings or where? I can't find it..