Beta...

Everything related to MakeMKV
Damian83

Beta...

Post by Damian83 »

Hi, i'm just curious about the "beta state" of this app. I'm using it from maybe 10 or more years and it's perpetually in this state. Can someone clarify this?
Damian83

Re: Beta...

Post by Damian83 »

nobody here?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

It is the program author's choice to label it beta. I'm not aware of any posts by the author clarifying his thinking on that topic. Since you're a long time user you know as well as anyone that it works well and continues to be updated.

What sort of clarification are you looking for?
Damian83

Post by Damian83 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:52 pm
It is the program author's choice to label it beta. I'm not aware of any posts by the author clarifying his thinking on that topic. Since you're a long time user you know as well as anyone that it works well and continues to be updated.

What sort of clarification are you looking for?
as i told, im only curious. i dont know any other apps being "always beta" :-)
Username1267

Post by Username1267 »

As far as I know the program will no longer be free when the full version is released.

In general there are 3 phases when it's about releasing a software:
a alpha phase
a beta phase
a final phase

In the alpha phase no versions are published to the outside world. This is the time when the developer(s) test their own stuff. This is normally also the time when it is not worth showing the software to someone else because the developer already has enough work to do and knows what he needs to do next but just hasn't done it yet or is already on it.

In the beta phase the software is accessible to others. In this time the developer asks for bug reports. Especially because developers usually don't have all operating systems and hardware which is supported in general. Also different usage can trigger bugs that the developer hasn't thought of.

In the final phase the developers sell their product and collect the reward for their work.

But these 3 phases are somewhat blurry in the real world. Some companies still need to fix fundamental bugs and add features in the final phase. Just look at how much updates todays Windows needs after the selling has already begun. It's a disgrace but happens in some companies like it would be normal to ship a broken product.
Damian83

Post by Damian83 »

Username1267 wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:18 pm
As far as I know the program will no longer be free when the full version is released.

In general there are 3 phases when it's about releasing a software:
a alpha phase
a beta phase
a final phase

In the alpha phase no versions are published to the outside world. This is the time when the developer(s) test their own stuff. This is normally also the time when it is not worth showing the software to someone else because the developer already has enough work to do and knows what he needs to do next but just hasn't done it yet or is already on it.

In the beta phase the software is accessible to others. In this time the developer asks for bug reports. Especially because developers usually don't have all operating systems and hardware which is supported in general. Also different usage can trigger bugs that the developer hasn't thought of.

In the final phase the developers sell their product and collect the reward for their work.

But these 3 phases are somewhat blurry in the real world. Some companies still need to fix fundamental bugs and add features in the final phase. Just look at how much updates todays Windows needs after the selling has already begun. It's a disgrace but happens in some companies like it would be normal to ship a broken product.
i know what is alpha, beta, and final (golden), and i agree with you that nowadays almost everything is broken and continuosly updated. However, makemkv its the opposite. In maybe 10 years ive never found a bug, while its forever in beta state. the only thing i hate its that it doesnt have the "close" application button (on mac)...

Damian83

Post by Damian83 »

anyway, does anybody knows which are the benefits of the paid version (apart from not input the new beta key every time)? Maybe the "X" button in mac version is present?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Damian83 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:50 am
which are the benefits of the paid version
You support mike :D
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I think the paid version unlocks allowing VLC to play a blu-ray straight off the disc (instead of ripping and playing the rip).
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

I just took a look at https://www.makemkv.com/buy/ and maybe "The only shareware limitation is the expiration date." doesn't fit anymore if the integration is only there for the paid version then.