bluray playback stutter

Everything related to MakeMKV
hash70

bluray playback stutter

Post by hash70 »

hi i jst used makemkv for the first time with piranha 3d,it done a realy fast job makeing the mkv in 20minutes so i was impressed,but when i play it back with vlc media player the picture look like it is stuttering all the way through the film,the audio is fine,i then tried resident evil and that is also stuttering,ive not messed about with any of the settings for makemkv,so could this be the problem,im new here so any tips would be great.....i have a high end system i7 930 4.2ghz 6gb ram
Marc_G

Re: bluray playback stutter

Post by Marc_G »

It's not MakeMKV, but rather the player/codec set you have doesn't like what's in the file.

You might use MediaInfoGui to report here what type of audio/video encoding the content in your MKV file has (MakeMKV doesn't change the content encoding, just dumps it to an MKV container).

Probably the movies you're reporting are VC-1 encoded which many systems (regardless of how high-end) may stutter with unless some things are optimized. For example, on my much more modest dual core AthlonX2 system, I set it up to use the MPC-HC stand-alone codec just for VC-1 content. Everything else uses the standard windows media foundation decoders. This gives me DXVA for VC-1 which was not happening with the default windows system, bringing my CPU use down from >50% to ~10% when I play VC-1.

Note, I know nothing about 3D playback so I freely admit ignorance in that regard. Others may have ideas...

Marc