Multiple Instances no longer work

Everything related to MakeMKV
karlosss

Multiple Instances no longer work

Post by karlosss »

Been using the paid version for years & love it.
Just upgraded to version 1.14.7 on a win7 machine & I can now only run one instance of Makemkv.
I've doen the usual re-boot & checked preferences (View/prefs/IO/Ask for single drive mode is ticked). Also tried selecting a different drive when asked but nothing seems to allow another instance to run.
Anyone have this issue with this version or suggestions?
Woodstock

Re: Multiple Instances no longer work

Post by Woodstock »

Not sure what would be happening, but I regularly run multiple instances on Win7, currently with v1.14.7. I've also run different versions concurrently.

Is it not launching the second instance? Is there an error message when you try? Anything in the Event Viewer?
Doomoracle

Post by Doomoracle »

Can confirm a bug.

I have installed the latest MKV on a clean windows 10 install. Without single drive mode selected MKV can access all 3 of my drives. As soon as I check it, it will no longer find any devices.
Doomoracle

Post by Doomoracle »

Forgot to mention that running MKV as an administrator corrected the issue for me.
karlosss

Post by karlosss »

SOLVED!!!
Hi guys.
Thanks to all who replied. The answer was as simple as Doomoracle's suggestion to "Run as Administrator"
Not sure why this is necessary as I've never had to before but just glad it works.
Thx again.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The newer versions come with an optional service you can install that will allow you to run the main program as a "regular user". The service takes care of the access permissions.

You can also manipulate the Local Security Policy to allow direct access to the drives by non-admin users, but that's not as easy as using the service program.
karlosss

Post by karlosss »

Thanks Woodstock.
I did some more testing and have discovered "Run as Admin" was not the fix.
The problem was user error!!!! Dammmm!!!
When selecting the shortcut icon from my Dock (Nexus) I could only run one instance.
I just went through the Nexus options & found one option limting the number of multiple instances. I have no idea how this came to be selected but it is now unselected & all is working as it should again.

I feel so freeking stupid!!! but the issue seemed to happen the instance I upgraded MakeMKV to a higher version.
Grrrrr