makeMKV and MacTheRipper

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
hecya

makeMKV and MacTheRipper

Post by hecya »

I downloaded today makeMKV and tried on Matrix Reloaded DVD with no problems at all. After that it never worked again on several DVDs. Thinking that it might have to do with some protection I first ripped the DVDs (main feature only) to hard disk with MacTheRipper but the problem persisted when reading from those files.
Eventually, by sheer luck, I found that the problem is solved for reading directly from DVDs if MacTheRipper is open. This workaround does not work for reading from the files created using MacTheRipper.

This solution has allowed me to convert several DVDs I had problems before.

A remaining issue id that to eject the DVD I have to quit makeMKV first.

I use an Intel Core iMac with Snow Leopard and 2 GB RAM

As I haven?t found any similar report I wonder if there is something wrong on my Mac ...
mike admin

Re: makeMKV and MacTheRipper

Post by mike admin »

For any disc that you've created with mactheripper and that fails to open with MakeMKV, please submit debug log per instructions at http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8/catid/6
B_Ken

Post by B_Ken »

I was using MakeMKV on the MacTheRipper files ripped to the hard drive, NOT a DVD disc, and kept getting errors.

I will submit some debug logs.
twotower

Post by twotower »

I am using the free beta version 1.7.71 for Mac. I will be happy to upgrade to a paid version if there is a solution. I have a whole host of movies ripped with MTR 4. The version of MakeMKV for Mac I am using does not recognize any of the files (mostly VOB) except for .IFO. Consequently I am not able to create an MKV file from MTR rips. Any ideas? Thanks
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Open the .IFO :P
twotower

Post by twotower »

I will give that a try. I'm assuming based on your response that opening the .IFO file will allow the MakeMKV app to create the MKV file containing the entire movie with all its components?

Peace
twotower

Post by twotower »

I made the MKV file using the .IFO file that was within the Video_TS folder. MakeMKV produced a 1GB MKV file. On playback on our wide screen smart TV the video quality was noticeably poor. Base on the file size I was expecting poor video quality.

I'm still learning how to use HandBrake, but I'm guessing if I want good (as close to the original as possible) video quality I will need to use that app with codec h.264 and Constant Quality at RF:19. The encoding takes about two hours but I'm guessing the video quality will be good. Still waiting for the process to complete.

My only intent in doing all this is to view movies in HD on our 47" LG 3D Smart TV via Plex.

Any Comments?

Thanks
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

twotower wrote:I made the MKV file using the .IFO file that was within the Video_TS folder. MakeMKV produced a 1GB MKV file. On playback on our wide screen smart TV the video quality was noticeably poor. Base on the file size I was expecting poor video quality.
MakeMKV does not re-encode the video. If the video quality is poor, that must be the case on the DVD too.
twotower

Post by twotower »

Thanks, Back to the drawing board. The previous movie I spoke of was rented from a popular mail order movie rental company. Not surprising, as we have noticed that these movies frequently have poor video quality. Trying with another movie that we know has good quality video.

The movie I processed with Handbrake had good video quality but somehow the audio track went out of sync.
: (
So I'm really hoping that MakeMKV will work for us.

I will let you know.
Last edited by twotower on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
twotower

Post by twotower »

GOOD NEWS - MakeMKV flawlessly created the MKV file From the Video_TS folder. The video is good and the audio track is correctly synched. I want to try a few more movies, and if all goes well I will be happy to contribute some coin for a great program.

Whoever you are who has been giving me the advice. I thank you!