Feature request Sector skipping on read error

Everything related to MakeMKV
nixnut

Feature request Sector skipping on read error

Post by nixnut »

When makemkv discovers a read error due to a bad disk it will attempt to read the bad sector an x number of times. However when it cannot read the bad sector, makemkv exits. Would it be possible to allow makemkv to simply skip that sector and continue with the next?
Thanks for a great program.
N.
Woodstock

Re: Feature request Sector skipping on read error

Post by Woodstock »

The problem with skipping on read error is that the result is a damaged file, and any processing you do later on will fail at the copy of the bad spot. A common issue is if you need to convert the video to another format - most tools for that will stop when they hit the invalid data.

There are tools out there that will continue on error (the dd command in Linux has that option), but the results are not guaranteed to work.
thetoad

Re: Feature request Sector skipping on read error

Post by thetoad »

so one thing I do manually with DVDs (but can't yet do with BRs as I haven't figured out how) is use ddrescue to map the sectors that can't be read.

If I can get access to another copy of the same disc, even if its damaged as well, as long as its damaged in a different area, I can fill in the gaps.

With DVDs I can then decrypt the generated ISO file (even in place!) and it will play in almost any player as is, I can also use other programs to remove whatever structural protections are within the IFO system (i.e. those DVD ISOs that look like they have 100GB file system).

It be nice if there was a way to do that with BRs, but I'm not too picky about that yet as BRs are a lot more resistent to damage so it hasn't been a huge issue for me.