PGS sub progress

Everything related to MakeMKV
MilesAhead

PGS sub progress

Post by MilesAhead »

I did just make some progress displaying PGS subs in Vista64. I'm using Shark's Vista Codec Pack with DirectVobSub for subtitles(the default setting.) I just installed Media Player Classic Home Cinema beta 64 bit. The MPC Home Cinema has the Subtitles option in the context menu disabled, so apparently it's all DirectVobSub. But the combination is working.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Media_Pl ... ome_Cinema

Progress at last!

MilesAhead

Re: PGS sub progress

Post by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead wrote:I did just make some progress displaying PGS subs in Vista64. I'm using Shark's Vista Codec Pack with DirectVobSub for subtitles(the default setting.) I just installed Media Player Classic Home Cinema beta 64 bit. The MPC Home Cinema has the Subtitles option in the context menu disabled, so apparently it's all DirectVobSub. But the combination is working.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Media_Pl ... ome_Cinema

Progress at last!

Seems like VLC media player 1.1.0 recent stable release will do it natively now. At least it worked on an .m2ts file with PGS sub I tried it with.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Yes, the VLC 1.1.0 does now display PGS subtitles (For both .M2TS and .MKV files). The only flaw that I observed is that the last line shown stays on screen for an inordinate amount of time...

MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

setarip_old wrote:Yes, the VLC 1.1.0 does now display PGS subtitles (For both .M2TS and .MKV files). The only flaw that I observed is that the last line shown stays on screen for an inordinate amount of time...

Unfortunately it's still not as smooth as Splash Lite. But Splash Lite has almost 0 subtitle support.

Playing some vids gets pauses, stops and starts, plus advancing the slider isn't smooth.
Splash gets none of that, but no PGS subs. It will come eventually I guess.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

btw, just for grins I tried the latest stable VLC player with a .divx file with xsubs and it worked!! Finally free of that quirky DivX Player!!
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

Another step in the right direction. BD Rebuilder beta now allows avs filter entry. The main use I'll make of this feature will be to burn in idx/sub subtitles exported by BDSup2Sub. There are other tools that will let you burn in subs during processing but using "good" profile one pass abr BDRB typically completes within the run time of the film. No more 6 hour encodes!!

The easiest most predictable way I've found to use it is with MakeMKV in backup mode. But it can also take .mkv as input. The results were less predictable in .mkv mode so I think the author is going to change how that is calculated.

But anyway, I've done a bunch using MakeMKV to back up, then process with BD Rebuilder. The only stumbling block was having to use external .srt subs when done. Now I can just burn them in!!
:D