Only finding audio commentary audio track?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Marc_G

Only finding audio commentary audio track?

Post by Marc_G »

Hi folks,

I rarely have any problem finding the right tracks with MakeMKV but when ripping episodes off of Fringe Season 1 Disc 1 (US- BluRay), for several episodes there was only one audio track available to MakeMKV in the selection window, and it was just a stereo audio commentary voice-over by the writers or something. No actual episode soundtrack showed up.

I got the same thing whether I opened the original physical disc or an anydvd .iso rip of it, so let's all agree not to argue about the merits/drawbacks of that.

I've uploaded a screencap highlighting the tracks that are the audio commentary in stereo; if you look further down you'll see other episodes that have regular 3/2+1 episode sound tracks.
Fringe.gif
Here's the log of opening the disc; let me know if you need one of the entire rip process:

Debug log started at Sat Feb 27 17:15:39 2010 , written by MakeMKV v1.4.12 beta win(x64-release)
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.4.12 beta win(x64-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\xxxx/MakeMKV_log.txt
003007:0000 Using direct disc access mode
005050:0000 Evaluation version, 13 day(s) out of 30 remaining
003335:0508 It appears that you have AnyDVD enabled. MakeMKV should process discs with most sophisticated protections without help of any 3rd party decryption software. In addition MakeMKV works faster and more reliably when it decrypts data by itself. It is highly recommended to disable AnyDVD and restart the application.

Do you want to continue anyway (errors may follow) ?
003305:0000 AACS directory not present, assuming unencrypted disc
DISCID=F6B8AB2B897D73D6C2DD94D1D966F22A6E7D3100
001002:0020 LIBMKV_TRACE: No CC5 in 00004
003307:0000 File 00016.mpls was added as title #0
003025:0000 Title #00006.mpls has length of 50 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003307:0000 File 00015.mpls was added as title #1
003025:0000 Title #00005.m2ts has length of 103 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003025:0000 Title #00012.m2ts has length of 23 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003025:0000 Title #00000.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003025:0000 Title #00018.m2ts has length of 114 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003025:0000 Title #00003.m2ts has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003025:0000 Title #00017.m2ts has length of 113 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003025:0000 Title #00008.m2ts has length of 105 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003307:0000 File 00016.m2ts was added as title #2
003025:0000 Title #00020.m2ts has length of 39 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003025:0000 Title #00007.m2ts has length of 110 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003307:0000 File 00006.m2ts was added as title #3
003307:0000 File 00011.m2ts was added as title #4
003025:0000 Title #00004.m2ts has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003307:0000 File 00013.m2ts was added as title #5
003025:0000 Title #00010.m2ts has length of 50 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
003307:0000 File 00002.m2ts was added as title #6
005011:0000 Operation sucessfully completed

The disc itself is interesting to play. There is a list of episodes but they don't play when you click them. Each episode has various special feature crap underneath it that does play if you click it. There is a "Play Episode" button at the bottom which plays all the 4 episodes on the disc in one go. There's no way to select to play just episode 1 unless you click on the special feature junk for each episode. Bizarre.

After getting just voiceover audio tracks for a couple episodes out of MakeMKV, I opened it up in another program which found the whole 4 epsiode together dealie and ripped that out, but it wasn't able to find individual episodes with proper audio tracks either.

This is clearly a challenging disc and I offer the above in hopes it will help in figuring this out; I'm not blaming MakeMKV for any of this. It's a crappy encode on the part of the producers.

Marc
Last edited by Marc_G on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
setarip_old

Re: Only finding audio commentary audio track?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
I got the same thing whether I opened the original physical disc or an anydvd .iso rip of it, so let's all agree not to argue about the merits/drawbacks of that.
If you would prefer to have this not be part of the conversation, be good enough to provide the same MakeMKV initial pass "Title" listing with AnyDVD completely disabled, as per the MakeMKV instructions:[/Quote]It is highly recommended to disable AnyDVD and restart the application.[/Quote]

How many true episodes does your original BluRay disc contain?

Is it possible that the first two listed "Titles" (0 and 1) are modified duplicates of correct "Titles" that appear further down the listing?

Since you didn't mention it, I guess you didn't notice that the "normal looking" Titles (containing dd3/2+1 audio) don't display any chapter information.

I'd suggest to you that the proper/best way to analyze this group of anomalies is the scientific approach to controlled experimentation - "all other things remaining equal" (Meaning, change only one thing at a time). And since this is the forum of the author/publisher of MakemKV, dedicated EXCLUSIVELY to MakeMKV, I'd suggest that you re-rip your original commercial BluRay disc with AnyDVD (and/or DVDFab) completely disabled - and then repost the same information that you've posted to this thread...
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Hi Setarip,

My apologies; I did omit some key information.

1. There are four episodes plus "bonus material" on the disc. The four main tracks visible in the MakeMKV window (and which rip out as MKVs) correspond to the four episodes; just two of them seem to come with stereo commentary tracks instead of the actual un-dubbed episode tracks. Sadly these stereo-containing ones aren't just the dubbed duplicates :(

2. I did try with the commercial original disc to open it in MakeMKV; it failed to open. The only way to open the physical disc was with AnyDVDHD running.

3. The .iso I made using AnyDVDHD also resists MakeMKV's attempts to open it if AnyDVDHD isn't running, giving the same set of errors as when I tried the physical disc.

4. I noticed that chapters were missing; I see this sometimes (+ or - AnyDVDHD, physical or iso). I don't care about chapter marks so I have always ignored this stuff. Maybe I should pay more attention to it from now on.

Let me try some experiments and get back.

Marc
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I did try with the commercial original disc to open it in MakeMKV; it failed to open.
That would be a first, as far as I know. Try it both ways:

1) First open MakeMKV and then load the disc (If your software BluRay player starts to actually PLAY the disc, CLOSE the player program) OR

2) First load the disc and when your software BluRay player starts to actually PLAY the disc, CLOSE the player program and start MakeMKV

Also, when you first load it into MakeMKV (either way), what is the two digit key number that appears before the first analysis of Titles is performed ("MKB" from 2 through 18, if I remember correctly) ?

BTW - You might want to remove some personal information from your first post to this thread...
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Thanks. Wife is using the HTPC right now so I can't test it out but I will test it out when I get back from a trip (I'm up early tomorrow for business travel). I'll leave this dormant for about four days then I'll be back.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Very likely this error is fixed in a next version that will be available in a few days. If you want to confirm then plase send all CLPI and MPLS files from this disc compressed with any archiver to support@makemkv.com
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Hi Mike,

I just got back home after an extended trip and will work on this over the weekend.

Briefly, I've installed 1.50 and am re-ripping the disc (no Anydvd running at all) now. The disc is very odd and 1.50 found some different arrangements of tracks, though some still seem to have only the 2-channel audio commentary track. I'm hopeful that the new track found which appears to be 2 episodes with the full audio is a paired-up set of the episodes that were missing the full audio when ripped with 1.43. Will let you know, and if needed will send the files you requested.

Marc

Edit: Looks like the first title is the correctly-audio-tracked episodes 1&2, which I believe were the ones with the voiceover tracks last time.
Fringe S1D1 Overview.gif
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Folks,

I'll analyze the file results tomorrow. Meanwhile here's the log.
On the first screen when it sees the disc, by the way, it says protection AACSv12.

I'll archive those files you wanted tomorrow if necessary.

Meanwhile need to spend some family time.

Marc
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

OK, I've looked through the files can compared them to what's on the BD. One episode (episode 3 on the BD) doesn't come out clean (meaning no audio commentary track).

Refering to what I posted yesterday, what MakeMKV 1.50 (without AnyDVDHD) finds and saves to the hard drive is:
Title00: Episode 1 (correct long pilot episode with proper audio track).
Title01: Episode 3 with only 2 channel audio commentary track.
Title02: Episode 1 (long episode with 2 channel audio commentary track)
Title03: extra content I don't care about
Title04: Episode 4 (correct episode with proper audio track)
Title05: Episode 2 (correct episode with proper audio track)
Title06: extra content I don't care about
Title07: extra content I don't care about

So there's no Episode 3 without the commentary track. The new 1.50 MakeMKV does find the Episode 1 with audio track which the previous version didn't. But I'm still one episode shy!

Mike, let me see if I can find those files you asked for on the disc and pack 'em up for you.

(EDIT: Done, emailed them to your support address)

Again, what the disc played by BD software presents is a list of the special feature content and a single "Play Episode" button at the bottom, which when clicked plays the 4 episodes automatically one after the other. I see why this is handy but it's a feature that should be in addition to, not instead of, the ability to pick an episode from a list. What are these BD authors thinking? Chuck discs do this too. Grrr.

Marc
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Hi Mike,

Any update on this? Were the files I sent useful? Can I provide anything else from the disc?

Marc
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Yes, that's all for now. I do not know exact status yet.
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Confirmed fixed in 1.5.2.

The Fringe D1 episodes with both regular audio (3/2/1) and stereo commentary tracks now show up as single episodes with two selectable audio track options, with the regular episode audio track automatically selected and the stereo commentary track not selected. This is exactly the behavior I would desire.

Nice Job Mike!
Thanks!

Marc