Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
demon
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:06 am

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by demon »

I actually recently bought LG UHD-BD enabled drives to upgrade my desktop and laptop - a WH16NS60 (fw 1.01) for my desktop, and a BU40N (fw 1.01) for my laptop. Unfortunately the desktop drive doesn't yet want to rip - MakeMKV gives errors about no key present (and yes, I have the same keys_hashed.txt on both) - but the drive in my laptop is now successfully ripping the 4K UHD disc of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Is there a firmware that the WH16NS60 can be backed down to, or any other way to convince it to play nice?

Anyway, one out of two ain't bad. Good work mike, and hopefully you can figure out the secret sauce to get the rest to cooperate.
SamuriHL
Posts: 2804
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by SamuriHL »

mike admin wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:00 pm Today the support for "official UHD" drives was finally enabled (not as smooth as it was hoped). As of today most "official" drives are supported, EXCEPT ones with latest firmware. If you have an "UHD official" drive, you should get one of two messages:
Code 03DF - your drive is working fine, you can make UHD backup with it
Code 01BE - your drive firmware version is not yet supported.
The proper explanation is coming soon. Thanks for the patience!
Excellent news! Well done!!!
jonghotti
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by jonghotti »

archer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:19 pm
mike admin wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:00 pm Today the support for "official UHD" drives was finally enabled (not as smooth as it was hoped). As of today most "official" drives are supported, EXCEPT ones with latest firmware. If you have an "UHD official" drive, you should get one of two messages:
Code 03DF - your drive is working fine, you can make UHD backup with it
Code 01BE - your drive firmware version is not yet supported.
The proper explanation is coming soon. Thanks for the patience!
Congratulations Mike and everyone who worked and tested on this project.

My LG WH16NS60 - Code 03DF, working great. Fantastic work, everyone!
What firmware version is on your drive?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
demon
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:06 am

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by demon »

archer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:05 pm
jonghotti wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:32 pm
archer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:19 pm

Congratulations Mike and everyone who worked and tested on this project.

My LG WH16NS60 - Code 03DF, working great. Fantastic work, everyone!
What firmware version is on your drive?
1.02
Are you sure? My WH16NS60 has 1.01 (which is the latest on LG's site, and the Japanese-only HLDS site), and it's flat refusing. If that works... can you dump the firmware for those of us with with the same drive that's not playing nice, perhaps?
jonghotti
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by jonghotti »

archer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:05 pm
jonghotti wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:32 pm
archer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:19 pm

Congratulations Mike and everyone who worked and tested on this project.

My LG WH16NS60 - Code 03DF, working great. Fantastic work, everyone!
What firmware version is on your drive?
1.02
1.02 for a WH16NS60? I was under the impression it's 1.00 or 1.01 for those, thats not a flashed unit?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
jonghotti
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by jonghotti »

demon wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:09 pm
archer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:05 pm
jonghotti wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:32 pm

What firmware version is on your drive?
1.02
Are you sure? My WH16NS60 has 1.01 (which is the latest on LG's site, and the Japanese-only HLDS site), and it's flat refusing. If that works... can you dump the firmware for those of us with with the same drive that's not playing nice, perhaps?
Let's take this one step at a time. Sounds like he may have a flashed WH16NS60 would love to get a look at the makemkv info window see what it's being reported as.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
lockdown571
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by lockdown571 »

Awesome. I just tried ripping a disc with my Buffalo BRUHD-PU3-BK, and it worked perfectly. Great work! Not sure what firmware version mine is, having trouble finding it.
SamuriHL
Posts: 2804
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by SamuriHL »

My NS60 came with 1.02. I just bought it in December. I've not yet tried it as I was waiting for the support. I'll try tomorrow but it's definitely not flashed.
jonghotti
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by jonghotti »

I’ve a bunch of wh16ns60s for sale at cost with 1.00 firmware loaded at the factory
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
thekenster
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:11 am

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by thekenster »

No go yet on my LG WH16NS60 with firmware 1.01 dated 2117-11-20 20:00. (In MakeMKV Window)
Code 01BE
SamuriHL, not seeing a firmware 1.02 on LG's site. That's weird.
Billycar11
Posts: 6243
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by Billycar11 »

mike admin wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:00 pm Today the support for "official UHD" drives was finally enabled (not as smooth as it was hoped). As of today most "official" drives are supported, EXCEPT ones with latest firmware. If you have an "UHD official" drive, you should get one of two messages:
Code 03DF - your drive is working fine, you can make UHD backup with it
Code 01BE - your drive firmware version is not yet supported.
The proper explanation is coming soon. Thanks for the patience!
i have a question about how drives crossflashed to wh16ns60 1.00 will work will everything be fine? because before they worked but with failed key exchange errors i haven't given anyone a drive like that yet just me and a friend but many people want the sleep bug gone.
Buy a drive from the guide and video maker: viewtopic.php?t=17831
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
forty2
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:39 am

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by forty2 »

mike admin wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:00 pm Today the support for "official UHD" drives was finally enabled (not as smooth as it was hoped). As of today most "official" drives are supported, EXCEPT ones with latest firmware. If you have an "UHD official" drive, you should get one of two messages:
Code 03DF - your drive is working fine, you can make UHD backup with it
Code 01BE - your drive firmware version is not yet supported.
The proper explanation is coming soon. Thanks for the patience!
Do I need to do anything special to get access to the new features? I've tried first with the version 1.14.2 that I already had installed, then tried again after redownloading and reinstalling. But in both cases, attempts to rip a UHD disk don't work, and I don't see either of these codes anywhere either. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to figure out what.

Thanks a lot for all the hard work; I'm a huge fan of this tool (and a paid-up license owner :D), and I'm super excited to start ripping all my UHD disks.
jsuaggie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:47 am

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by jsuaggie »

jkeener88 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:50 pm Owner of a ASUS BW-16D1HT, on its way, should have it next week! :mrgreen:
Where did you purchase your drive? I hope it comes with the "UHD Friendly" firmware.
Billycar11
Posts: 6243
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by Billycar11 »

forty2 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:40 am
Do I need to do anything special to get access to the new features? I've tried first with the version 1.14.2 that I already had installed, then tried again after redownloading and reinstalling. But in both cases, attempts to rip a UHD disk don't work, and I don't see either of these codes anywhere either. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to figure out what.

Thanks a lot for all the hard work; I'm a huge fan of this tool (and a paid-up license owner :D), and I'm super excited to start ripping all my UHD disks.
what official drive do you have right now only bu40n and clones on 1.00 and wh16ns60 1.00 are supported i think.
i tested a wh16ns60 on 1.00 and it worked, going to try a asus on 1.00 later and see what happens
Buy a drive from the guide and video maker: viewtopic.php?t=17831
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
forty2
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:39 am

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by forty2 »

Billycar11 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:07 am what official drive do you have right now only bu40n and clones on 1.00 and wh16ns60 1.00 are supported i think.
i tested a wh16ns60 on 1.00 and it worked, going to try a asus on 1.00 later and see what happens
Ah, that might be my problem then. The drive is a bu50n. I'm pretty sure the firmware is 1.00, but I'm having trouble confirming that. I've had it for a while and never updated it, but of course that doesn't mean much.