Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
rosavanwinkle

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by rosavanwinkle »

I'm starting to notice something.

I have a question,do you guys have the right "gear" to play the atmos audio?
aka
A Blu-ray Player/Streaming Player.
A Dolby Atmos AVR.
dolby atmos enabled Speakers.
Mediaplayer: Nvidia Shield TV Pro
TV: LG 55SK7900PLA
Soundbar: LG SK8 (not LG SK8Y)
plex pass user
Discord:Rosa#1111
parapata

Post by parapata »

mx player HW
plex no dv
for atmos denon avr
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:58 pm
olevelo wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:39 pm
rosavanwinkle wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:30 pm

mx pro the payed app? may i ask why not plex?
Don't you need the paid version of plex to do DV? I thought it was only available in beta which is only available to subscribers?
Today, I've set up a plex server and tried to playback a DV .ts file on my Android Philips Oled Dolby Vision TV. It just doesn't work. ALso Plex doesn't detect Atmos at all in any containers!!! It never has.
No internal television application, including Plex, will work with TrueHD atmos tracks. The Shield is the only device capable of direct playing atmos tracks in Plex.
rosavanwinkle wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:03 pm

aka
A Dolby Atmos AVR.
Of course, otherwise what's the point of going through all this trouble to get truehd atmos into a container?
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:34 pm
darrrkmanxxx wrote:
olevelo wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:39 pm

Don't you need the paid version of plex to do DV? I thought it was only available in beta which is only available to subscribers?
Today, I've set up a plex server and tried to playback a DV .ts file on my Android Philips Oled Dolby Vision TV. It just doesn't work. ALso Plex doesn't detect Atmos at all in any containers!!! It never has.
No internal television application, including Plex, will work with TrueHD atmos tracks. The Shield is the only device capable of direct playing atmos tracks in Plex.
rosavanwinkle wrote:

aka
A Dolby Atmos AVR.
Of course, otherwise what's the point of going through all this trouble to get truehd atmos into a container?
On my Philips OLED TV with MX Player I can perfectly playback Atmos in MKV Container and also Disney+ And Netflix playback Atmos and Dolby Vision as well.

Why should Schield TV be better? I assume it has the same software and same decoders.
I'd never buy a Shield TV. It look cheap and take up space on my shelf, haha :)
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:55 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
darrrkmanxxx wrote:

rosavanwinkle wrote:

aka
A Dolby Atmos AVR.
On my Philips OLED TV with MX Player I can perfectly playback Atmos in MKV Container and also Disney+ And Netflix playback Atmos and Dolby Vision as well.

Why should Schield TV be better? I assume it has the same software and same decoders.
As a standalone player, the shield obviously does not have the same decoders as your TV. If your TV is capable of outputting atmos tracks in mkv, I'm guessing they're not TrueHD lossless atmos, but instead the compressed dolby digital+ version that's also found within streaming apps (Disney+ & Netflix). Especially since none of the Philip's OLEDS have e-ARC, I don't see how it can possibly be passing lossless atmos tracks to your AVR
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:09 pm
darrrkmanxxx wrote:
shawnc22 wrote:

As a standalone player, the shield obviously does not have the same decoders as your TV. If your TV is capable of outputting atmos tracks in mkv, I'm guessing they're not TrueHD lossless atmos, but instead the compressed dolby digital+ version that's also found within streaming apps (Disney+ & Netflix). Especially since none of the Philip's OLEDS have e-ARC, I don't see how it can possibly be passing lossless atmos tracks to your AVR
You're right it has no e-ARC but it has a dolby atmos soundbar, which I know is crap,but the Atmos Codec is supported internally: https://www.avforums.com/products/oled- ... 935/specs/
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:54 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:09 pm
darrrkmanxxx wrote:

You're right it has no e-ARC but it has a dolby atmos soundbar, which I know is crap,but the Atmos Codec is supported internally: https://www.avforums.com/products/oled- ... 935/specs/
Well that's certainly something different, a TV with a built in "atmos" soundbar? So even if the TV is advertised as being able to handle truehd atmos tracks, the only device it can output it to without eARC is this soundbar. I'm glad you recognize it as a load of crap, but if you insist, the first thing I would try is to do is a straight container conversion from your MKV with a truehd atmos track to a TS container. You can do this with ffmpeg: ffmpeg -i movie.mkv -c copy movie.ts. This resulting file will not have DV, but the atmos track will be without an AC3 core, the same one found in mkv remuxes. If this file plays with atmos on your TV, then the issue is likely to be with TSMuxer. If the file doesn't play, and you're positive that the mkv file with truehd atmos plays, then the issue is likely to be with the TS container itself.

Honestly, though, all this trouble is not worth it just get "atmos" playing in a soundbar. If you want to be futureproof in case you upgrade your equipment, then sure, but with the current set up as is, you might be better off going with the traditional MP4 method and downsampling the audio.
rosavanwinkle

Post by rosavanwinkle »

hmmm i got a dolby atmos soundbar from LG along with a LG TV but i still need a AVR probably for it no?

EDIT: i wrote agc instead of AVR my bad
Last edited by rosavanwinkle on Fri May 01, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
plex pass user
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

rosavanwinkle wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:49 pm
hmmm i got a dolby atmos soundbar from LG along with a LG TV but i still need a AGC probably for it no?
Sorry I'm not really sure what AGC is. But moving past the fact that you can't really get real atmos sound out of a soundbar, if your set up is shield ->(hdmi) soundbar ->(hdmi) TV, you should at least be play to play files with atmos on your shield without getting an error, because an "atmos" soundbar is technically capable of decoding an atmos signal. If that's your configuration and things are still not working, please try playing an mkv with an atmos track and see if that's at least playing.
rosavanwinkle

Post by rosavanwinkle »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:04 am
rosavanwinkle wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:49 pm
hmmm i got a dolby atmos soundbar from LG along with a LG TV but i still need a AGC probably for it no?
Sorry I'm not really sure what AGC is. But moving past the fact that you can't really get real atmos sound out of a soundbar, if your set up is shield ->(hdmi) soundbar ->(hdmi) TV, you should at least be play to play files with atmos on your shield without getting an error, because an "atmos" soundbar is technically capable of decoding an atmos signal. If that's your configuration and things are still not working, please try playing an mkv with an atmos track and see if that's at least playing.
first off i wrote AGC instead of AVR that is on me (sorry)
second i'll try to find a atmos file (with hdr or something) and see if my soundbar pops up saying "dolby atmos"

my setup atm is: this pic basicly

Shield has a cat7 cable direct too the modem with a fiber connection

EDIT: updated the pic cause i'm a dumbasss
Last edited by rosavanwinkle on Fri May 01, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plex pass user
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

rosavanwinkle wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:17 pm
second i'll try to find a atmos file (with hdr or something) and see if my soundbar pops up saying "dolby atmos"

Yeah that’s not going to work. Your TV cannot passthrough the lossless atmos signal to your soundbar. You have to plug the shield directly into the soundbar.
rosavanwinkle

Post by rosavanwinkle »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:30 pm
rosavanwinkle wrote:

Yeah that’s not going to work. Your TV cannot passthrough the lossless atmos signal to your soundbar. You have to plug the shield directly into the soundbar.

aight lets give that a shot one moment...
plex pass user
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

rosavanwinkle wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:38 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:30 pm
rosavanwinkle wrote:

aight lets give that a shot one moment...
Just looked at the specs of the SK6Y, and it doesn't look like it's capable of decoding an atmos signal. Unfortunately even with the correct connectivity, it's not going to work with your current equipment.
rosavanwinkle

Post by rosavanwinkle »

i'm getting a lot of contradicting info on my soundbar from google i'm gonna check the box for a sec....
plex pass user
rosavanwinkle

Post by rosavanwinkle »

Alrighty...so i went to the basement found my box....

it is a SK8
this one has truehd and dolby atmos... i just have to figure out how to connect this badboy to the shield tv pro
it has a hdmi out (tv arc) , hdmi in,optical and ethernet port.
plex pass user