If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
MartyMcNuts

Re: If you're experiencing rip errors, please read here first!

Post by MartyMcNuts »

iFrog wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2024 8:39 pm
Hey all, just thought I would post a recent experience I've had to add to the conversation here.

First of all, I had to redo my Plex server who trashed it's config a couple weeks back due to some things I was testing, and the result didn't work as it usually does. Anyway because of this, I decided to wipe my Plex drive and start over with a different filesystem. Anyway I initially had an LG BP50NB40 that I had flashed several years ago to the last firmware which was 1.0.3 Anyway I had always been able to use this drive without issue connected to my iMac directly using the main connector of the Y plug as the iMac has USB 3.0, and the drive even worked for a short time on my Anker 60W powered USB 3 hub. Suddenly while re-ripping discs, the LG started flipping out, going into seek loops and having to be power cycled to stop. Along with this I started getting read errors and failures for discs that had previously worked fine on the same drive, the first time around of ripping.

It got to the point where the drive wouldn't even come online where the mac would recognize it, but it had power to spin up a disc, and sometimes it would come online and then disconnect a few minutes later. So, if it was a power issue, it's most likely due to something in the drive failing as it was several years old, and it now has the same behavior regardless of port, or computer, or cable used.

Anyway I bought I pioneer drive off Amazon to replace it: https://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-External ... 0C367V1QW/ and it works perfectly and it's extremely fast. It also has it's own power supply, and works over USB 3.0 speeds. Question, I still have one disc that WON"T rip regardless of what I do, even cleaned it, it's the older disc of Stargate Extended cut with ACSv3 and it's also a gold disc, and I know some players have issues with Gold discs, the particular issues with this one are like described in the other thread regarding this title, it hangs at analyzing seamless segments, and in backup mode, it copies all but the movie, and fails with hash error. Since it's a 20+ year old disc now, I was wondering if the newer release of the movie is more reliable to rip. I could get another LG drive as a backup as the disc works in that model drive, but I'd rather stick to one drive if I can, since just about all my discs have worked in the pioneer. I rarely have issues with MakeMKV, or ripping, so that's why you don't hear from me much. I just thought I would share this experience, provide a link to the drive I got, and ask about the disc releases, to see what people thought.

I'm running MakeMKV v1.17.7 on a late 2015, 27" 5K iMac, with Monterey 12.7.5. I also had issues with Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, but after giving the disc a good clean, and then doing a backup, I was able to re-rip from backup. That also was a strange disc, I bought it May 9th of this year, and it ripped first time out of the box with the LG drive. The second time around, it failed on both drives with the typical medium read error messages, but then the LG drive died. So, at least I was able to get a new rip with the new drive.

Anyway, thanks for the good info here, and hope this post can help someone else. Have a great day!
Yeah, it's a near 20 year old disc and has probably degraded just enough to cause read issues. I've had a couple of blu-ray discs from 2007 (the first one's I ever bought) do this. I just repurchased the movie and the new discs ripped perfectly fine.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG + Others) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://uhdenableddrives.com
iFrog

Post by iFrog »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:52 am
Yeah, it's a near 20 year old disc and has probably degraded just enough to cause read issues. I've had a couple of blu-ray discs from 2007 (the first one's I ever bought) do this. I just repurchased the movie and the new discs ripped perfectly fine.
Stargate 1994, was never re-released in 4k / HDR was it?, I could wait until it is / if it will be, and get my new copy that way. They usually come with a standard Blu-ray as well.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I think all the Stargate fans are waiting for a 4K release of the movie. You would think a 30 year anniversary would be a good time to do it, but it doesn't seem like it.

There was a 15th anniversary release that had a better transfer than the original release.
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Stargate-The-Movie-Blu-ray/6569/#Review
If you're going to buy it again, might as well get that version.
iFrog

Post by iFrog »

Hey all, I was able to get Stargate ripped. I couldn't find a copy on Amazon that didn't look like a scam to be based on the jacked up prices and names of the third party sellers. The main issue, was the new Pioneer drive wouldn't read the main title on disc, but everything else was. So I got a new LG WP50NB40 drive from Amazon and that drive was able to handle the disc. Now I have the two drives that I use multiple discs at the same time to cut down on time to rip, and I have found already that some discs won't work in one drive, but will work in the other.

With this said, I have a question about the LG drive(s). My initial drive was the LG BP50NB40. The new one is the WP50NB40. When I looked up the drives online, the most I could find was the BP50NB40 was intended for the European market while the WPP50NB40 is for the US. If this is the case, why was the BP50NB40 sold at a Best Buy here in the US? If anyone has additional info in addition to what I was able to find, please share.

Thanks