Dunno. I suggest just getting the cheapest one you can but I'd be only looking at one's that use a USB-C connection, not a built in cable.professor-t wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2026 11:06 pmThanks this worked! I tried using the Recover method before, but didn't select the current firmware in the popup, so that's why it didn't work before. Now that I have this drive on 1.00 it's now reading 4K BDs.MartyMcNuts wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2026 5:41 amTry the RECOVER method and see if that works. In the popup window, choose the 1.03-MK firmware currently on the drive, then in the normal firmware selection drop down box choose the 1.00 firmware.professor-t wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2026 12:10 am
Yeah I know it’s not encrypted. It still won’t flash from 1.03-MK to 1.00, so I’m looking for help with that. I don’t know why it’s not working. SDFtool shows progress up to 100% and says it completes, but the drive is still on 1.03-MK.
Are there recommended slim drive enclosures that don't have copy protection built in? The one this new drive came with blocks it unfortunately.
SDFtool Flasher
-
MartyMcNuts
- Posts: 5085
- Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm
Re: SDFtool Flasher
Cheers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
-
nicholfd
- Posts: 370
- Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:22 pm
Re: SDFtool Flasher
I purchased this on Amazon: External CD/DVD Drive for Laptop, DVD Burner CD Reader for Laptop, 8-in-1 USB 3.0 Portable CD Players for about $18, December, 2025. I removed the included drive & now use it with a BU40N equivalent. I just set aside the included drive (no use for it). This enclosure has an "attached/captured" USB cable with both a USB-C & USB-A connector for power/data (this cable is removable/replaceable inside the inclosure). It also includes a dedicated USB-C port for additional power only & includes an additional USB-C -> USB-A cable for power only. The other features/ports are just "nice to have".professor-t wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2026 11:06 pmThanks this worked! I tried using the Recover method before, but didn't select the current firmware in the popup, so that's why it didn't work before. Now that I have this drive on 1.00 it's now reading 4K BDs.MartyMcNuts wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2026 5:41 amTry the RECOVER method and see if that works. In the popup window, choose the 1.03-MK firmware currently on the drive, then in the normal firmware selection drop down box choose the 1.00 firmware.professor-t wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2026 12:10 am
Yeah I know it’s not encrypted. It still won’t flash from 1.03-MK to 1.00, so I’m looking for help with that. I don’t know why it’s not working. SDFtool shows progress up to 100% and says it completes, but the drive is still on 1.03-MK.
Are there recommended slim drive enclosures that don't have copy protection built in? The one this new drive came with blocks it unfortunately.
It's worked perfectly for both flashing & ripping 4K/UHD.
Thanks,
Frank
For sale 4K UHD Flashed USB drives:
ASUS Slim, Buffalo Slim, LG Slim,
Buffalo 5 1/4", ASUS 5 1/4",
drives@nicholasfamilycentral.com
ASUS Slim, Buffalo Slim, LG Slim,
Buffalo 5 1/4", ASUS 5 1/4",
drives@nicholasfamilycentral.com
-
mfann6619
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 4:48 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
Why am I getting this error? How can I resolve this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
MartyMcNuts
- Posts: 5085
- Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm
Re: SDFtool Flasher
Are you using a real windows 11 64 bit PC or some sort of VM?mfann6619 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2026 4:52 am Why am I getting this error? How can I resolve this?
Screenshot 2026-04-01 005015.png
Cheers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
-
wdhtx01
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2026 2:21 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
I was having the same flashing issues as you were, then I switched to the MakeMKV command-line (wherever you installed MakeMkv, add that to your path). Then open a command prompt and run makemkcon64 f -l (this will list drives available). Then, using the command, run "makemkvcon64.exe f --all-yes -d “ your drive letter here Example: D:” rawflash full enc -i “path to your firmware". You can try with and without the "enc" (stands for encoded firmware). I found that I was missing that "enc". Once I added it, everything worked (using this command-line option.)cinerama19806 wrote: Mon Jan 19, 2026 3:56 am Note of course I haven't even gotten to the point of having to read a 4K disc as I haven't yet been able to flash the drive. I continue to successfully burn single and double layer discs from one of the front 3.0 ports on my computer. When I once again get to the point of trying to flash the drive, I'll search out one of the USB ports on the rear of my computer; another option is to go to an older computer that's not connected to a 4K monitor and hook up my new drive to that after installing MakeMKV on it.
I have the display setting scale on my computer set to 300 (which is recommended for my 4K monitor). If I had it set to 100 I wouldn't be able to see any text. (One issue noted with the interface is that the high DPI settings much be changed so the interface is visible and usable.)
Cheers and good luck!
-
mfann6619
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 4:48 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
I am on a real Windows 11 64 bit PC. A Minisforum MS-01.MartyMcNuts wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2026 10:37 pmAre you using a real windows 11 64 bit PC or some sort of VM?mfann6619 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2026 4:52 am Why am I getting this error? How can I resolve this?
Screenshot 2026-04-01 005015.png
-
MartyMcNuts
- Posts: 5085
- Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm
Re: SDFtool Flasher
What is the SVC code of your drive? It will be written on the label on the side of the box and also underneath the drive. If it is SVC NB72, it is not compatible.mfann6619 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2026 11:25 pmI am on a real Windows 11 64 bit PC. A Minisforum MS-01.MartyMcNuts wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2026 10:37 pmAre you using a real windows 11 64 bit PC or some sort of VM?mfann6619 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2026 4:52 am Why am I getting this error? How can I resolve this?
Screenshot 2026-04-01 005015.png
Cheers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** NEW Single Drive Flasher ** available worldwide! https://payhip.com/b/MyeJ9
Email: martymcnuts@outlook.com
-
mfann6619
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 4:48 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
It is SVC NB52.MartyMcNuts wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2026 1:57 amWhat is the SVC code of your drive? It will be written on the label on the side of the box and also underneath the drive. If it is SVC NB72, it is not compatible.mfann6619 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2026 11:25 pmI am on a real Windows 11 64 bit PC. A Minisforum MS-01.MartyMcNuts wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2026 10:37 pm
Are you using a real windows 11 64 bit PC or some sort of VM?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Billycar11
- Posts: 6229
- Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
run the flasher as adminmfann6619 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2026 2:29 amIt is SVC NB52.MartyMcNuts wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2026 1:57 amWhat is the SVC code of your drive? It will be written on the label on the side of the box and also underneath the drive. If it is SVC NB72, it is not compatible.
some windows 11 pcs hide drive info from stuff
seen this with the pioneer flasher
Buy a drive from the guide and video maker: viewtopic.php?t=17831
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
-
mfann6619
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 4:48 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
Still no good.Billycar11 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2026 3:21 amrun the flasher as adminmfann6619 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2026 2:29 amIt is SVC NB52.MartyMcNuts wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2026 1:57 am
What is the SVC code of your drive? It will be written on the label on the side of the box and also underneath the drive. If it is SVC NB72, it is not compatible.
some windows 11 pcs hide drive info from stuff
seen this with the pioneer flasher
-
razer
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2025 11:41 pm
Re: SDFtool Flasher
Another LG_BU40N successfully flashed. Thanks Marty!
-
davikki
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2026 6:31 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
Thanks Marty / Billycar for what you've done for the community.
I have flashed my blu ray drive. Followed your guide. I believe its done correctly. Rips blu ray fine. But the drive does not detect the 4k UHD disk. "no disc inserted." I have unplugged and plugged the drive back in. Tried on different computers. Something I'm missing? It is a WP50NB40 SVC:nb52
Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WP50NB40
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: ***************
Firmware date: 2120-05-07 09:29
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 75
LibreDrive Information
Status: Enabled
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
No disc inserted
I have flashed my blu ray drive. Followed your guide. I believe its done correctly. Rips blu ray fine. But the drive does not detect the 4k UHD disk. "no disc inserted." I have unplugged and plugged the drive back in. Tried on different computers. Something I'm missing? It is a WP50NB40 SVC:nb52
Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WP50NB40
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: ***************
Firmware date: 2120-05-07 09:29
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 75
LibreDrive Information
Status: Enabled
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
No disc inserted
-
Billycar11
- Posts: 6229
- Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
You have to flash this drive multiple timesdavikki wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2026 6:42 am Thanks Marty / Billycar for what you've done for the community.
I have flashed my blu ray drive. Followed your guide. I believe its done correctly. Rips blu ray fine. But the drive does not detect the 4k UHD disk. "no disc inserted." I have unplugged and plugged the drive back in. Tried on different computers. Something I'm missing? It is a WP50NB40 SVC:nb52
Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WP50NB40
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: ***************
Firmware date: 2120-05-07 09:29
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 75
LibreDrive Information
Status: Enabled
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
No disc inserted
See guide or
Marty's way linked in op with gif
Both work
Buy a drive from the guide and video maker: viewtopic.php?t=17831
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
UHD Drive Guide: viewtopic.php?t=19634
Auto flash kit $40 Email Billycar5924@gmail.com No attachments
-
davikki
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2026 6:31 am
Re: SDFtool Flasher
Thank Billy. Its amazing what a little bit of sleep will do. I just didn't follow Marty's guide to the T. 4k movies sure take a lot longer to rip.
FYI after reflashing it should change the product to whatever you reflash it to. In my case BU40N 1.0
FYI after reflashing it should change the product to whatever you reflash it to. In my case BU40N 1.0
-
Boxcab
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2026 9:53 pm
Re: SDFtool Flasher
I'm going to try to update the firmware on my ASUS BW-16D1X-U (a USB connected drive). Any suggestions, warnings or tricks that I need to be aware of??
Thanks in advance.
.
Thanks in advance.
.