Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
longseason

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by longseason »

kws53 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:32 pm
Possible - but how do you know it will play a single layer DV encoding? And, if so, what profile?
I dumped the test DV file from https://4kmedia.org/lg-dolby-vision-uhd-4k-demo/ on my server and it played without any further modification. Mediainfo reports the video stream in that as:

Code: Select all

Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU
so looks like Profile 4?
kws53 wrote:
For TS, try Yusesope's ALPHA method
Thanks, think I'll start here.
salimkhan

Post by salimkhan »

thelittleworm wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:37 pm
So apparently there's a method to backup UHD ISO's into MP4's that triggers Dolby Vision on an LG or Vizio television app via USB. I made this thread in the hopes we can figure out a way to reconvert this into MKV. The procecure is the following -

1. Make ISO of movie. I have only tested this with Black Panther since that's the only one I own. I will be buying Gladiator this weekend to test out though.

2. Use TS Muxer to open the ISO. Find the correct M2TS file and demux the following files:
A. HEVC1 in 4K (Base layer)
B. HEVC 2 in 1080p (this is the dolby vision enhancement layer)
C. Audio track which you will have to convert to AC3. This is a hard line limitation- you need to use AC3!!!

3. Once you have HEVC1, HEVC2, and the Audio track. Run Dolby Vision MP4Muxer (https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dlb_mp4base)
DolbyVision MP4 Muxer only works in Command Prompt so you have to navigate to the corresponding folders where the files are and type

mp4muxer --dv-profile 7 --input-file (baselayername.hevc1) --input-file (dvlayername.hevc2) --input-file (audio.ac3) --media-lang eng --output-file (nameofmovie).mp4

*Right now we are limited to only MP4 and AC3 audio. Hoping we figure out an MKV solution.

It sounds like its complicated, but it isn't. The entire process took me an hour to figure out, but once I did it, I sold my Xbox One X, because I'm now using my LG USB to play Dolby Vision MP4's! Hopefully this starts a discussion.
This just creates a dual-layer DV file, not a single layer one. How to do it? Can any1 help me please?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

longseason wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:18 pm
kws53 wrote:
Possible - but how do you know it will play a single layer DV encoding? And, if so, what profile?
I dumped the test DV file from https://4kmedia.org/lg-dolby-vision-uhd-4k-demo/ on my server and it played without any further modification. Mediainfo reports the video stream in that as:

Code: Select all

Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU
so looks like Profile 4?
kws53 wrote:
For TS, try Yusesope's ALPHA method
Thanks, think I'll start here.
If you're playing files off of your TV, I still think it's best to skip any of the complicated tools and just use mp4muxer to create a dual track profile 7 DV mp4. Then skip Plex and just host a DLNA server to play these files. It's the least complicated method and playback of ST DV TS files off the TV has been somewhat of a hit or miss depending on the title.
longseason

Post by longseason »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:30 pm
If you're playing files off of your TV, I still think it's best to skip any of the complicated tools and just use mp4muxer to create a dual track profile 7 DV mp4. Then skip Plex and just host a DLNA server to play these files. It's the least complicated method and playback of ST DV TS files off the TV has been somewhat of a hit or miss depending on the title.
Yeah I think that might be the best bet, otherwise it's going to be a huge process for every film that will be hit or miss every time.

Is profile 7 the most compatible format in this situation then?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

longseason wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:45 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:30 pm
Yeah I think that might be the best bet, otherwise it's going to be a huge process for every film that will be hit or miss every time.

Is profile 7 the most compatible format in this situation then?
Yeah, pretty much, so the method on the first couple pages of this thread still works
longseason

Post by longseason »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:03 pm
Yeah, pretty much, so the method on the first couple pages of this thread still works
Brilliant, I'll give that a go, thanks so much for your help.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

PlatypusW wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:39 am
I have an LG CX so happy to test...
quietvoid wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:00 pm
Oh, I thought you were referring to dual track mp4 as well. Those are pretty much the only reason I'd convert to mp4, because the C8 still supports them as profile 7 FEL.
As promised, here are some test files for you to try on LG devices.
GAMMA should now be able to return MP4 files as well (in addition to MKV ones).
I say "should" because today was a looooooooooooooooong day and I'm really tired (so forgive any mistakes).

Find the test files HERE.

They were all obtained from an initial m2ts FEL profile 7 file (only video, no audio).

The main reason why GAMMA has to return MP4 files is related to the "whispers" circulating these days that see the LG OLED 2020 TVs unable to play DTDL MP4 files.
Owners of these TVs should make sure the "FEL_to_Profile81.mp4" file is played.

@quietvoid pointed out to me that LG OLED TVs <= 2019 can still play DTDL files: having a faster method to generate this type of file would therefore be advantageous.
I modified GAMMA to get this type of file.

So, from a FEL m2ts file (profile 7) you can get the following MP4:
  • DTDL_FEL.mp4
  • DTDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • FEL_to_Profile81.mp4

Try the files and let me know!

DTDL = Dual Track Dual Layer
STDL = Single Track Dual Layer
longseason

Post by longseason »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:03 pm
No such luck with DLNA with both an MP4 and TS file muxed with mp4muxer and tsMuxeR respectively but given the success on the first page I’m thinking it might be DLNA and not the files; need to dig up a big enough USB drive to test.
blenky

Post by blenky »

yusesope wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:36 pm

I say "should" because today was a looooooooooooooooong day and I'm really tired (so forgive any mistakes).

They were all obtained from an initial m2ts FEL profile 7 file (only video, no audio).

The main reason why GAMMA has to return MP4 files is related to the "whispers" circulating these days that see the LG OLED 2020 TVs unable to play DTDL MP4 files.

@quietvoid pointed out to me that LG OLED TVs <= 2019 can still play DTDL files: having a faster method to generate this type of file would therefore be advantageous.

• DTDL_FEL.mp4
  • DTDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • FEL_to_Profile81.mp4

On my LG CX using Zidoo Z9X I can play all files but only STDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4 engages DV.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

blenky wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:04 pm
yusesope wrote:

• DTDL_FEL.mp4
  • DTDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • FEL_to_Profile81.mp4

On my LG CX using Zidoo Z9X I can play all files but only STDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4 engages DV.
Hi, these have been created to be played directly on the LG, not via an external player.
cuculain

Post by cuculain »

yusesope wrote:
PlatypusW wrote:
quietvoid wrote:
Oh, I thought you were referring to dual track mp4 as well. Those are pretty much the only reason I'd convert to mp4, because the C8 still supports them as profile 7 FEL.

• DTDL_FEL.mp4
  • DTDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • FEL_to_Profile81.mp4

I just tried the Files zidoo Z9X direct to Panasonic z1000 Oled
All files played
All files brought up DV on tv
STDL Fel .mp4 was noticably stuttering/rest were all smooth

Problem were all seeing on zidoo z9x thou is short test files dont show the issues (probably due to Z9X being early beta firmware)

ie
Alita ..Makemkv .53 to MKV convert ...all works lovley til 5 mins in then noticable stutter and audio lags by 2 secs(atmos track)Mel 7
Funnily enuff same mkv file HDR 10+ and Atmos plays and looks perfect

finally managed to make a Gama version of a movie
exactly same issue ..worked fine till 4 5 mins then stutter and audio lag by 2 secs in DAMel 8.1 from mem (deleted file cos issue not sorted,and forget which movie)

again thou i believe its Zidoo firmware issues atm

Edit just saw your later comment to use direct to TV
Fel to 8.1 worked fine as dolby vision
All other files played as HDR PQ when direct to Panasonic z1000 OLED
blenky

Post by blenky »

cuculain wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:26 pm
yusesope wrote:
PlatypusW wrote:
quietvoid wrote:

• DTDL_FEL.mp4
  • DTDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL.mp4
  • STDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4
  • FEL_to_Profile81.mp4

I just tried the Files zidoo Z9X direct to Panasonic z1000 Oled
All files played
All files brought up DV on tv
STDL Fel .mp4 was noticably stuttering/rest were all smooth

Problem were all seeing on zidoo z9x thou is short test files dont show the issues (probably due to Z9X being early beta firmware)

ie
Alita ..Makemkv .53 to MKV convert ...all works lovley til 5 mins in then noticable stutter and audio lags by 2 secs(atmos track)Mel 7
Funnily enuff same mkv file HDR 10+ and Atmos plays and looks perfect

finally managed to make a Gama version of a movie
exactly same issue ..worked fine till 4 5 mins then stutter and audio lag by 2 secs in DAMel 8.1 from mem (deleted file cos issue not sorted,and forget which movie)

again thou i believe its Zidoo firmware issues atm

Edit just saw your later comment to use direct to TV
Fel to 8.1 worked fine as dolby vision
All other files played as HDR PQ when direct to Panasonic z1000 OLED
Interesting playing the files on your Panasonic via Z9X all files play in DV but for me only STDL_FEL_to_MEL.mp4 played in DV on my LG CX. The rest in HDR10.
cuculain

Post by cuculain »

blenky
id updated my post once i saw you wanted files played direct to tv

only one the 8.1 played as DV rest all hdr pq only
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

yusesope wrote:
Both DTDL files do not playback on the C8 internal player, the STDL ones trigger Dolby Vision but stutter.
Are you using the latest mp4muxer code from Github? It causes these issues on the C8 at least, while the first version posted in 2018 works perfectly. From this tree: https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dl ... 0d7ca4eabd

BTW, this is the only post I've seen mention the CX thing: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 477#p98477
So FWIW, still don't know how true it is.
blenky

Post by blenky »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:10 pm
blenky wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Hi, these have been created to be played directly on the LG, not via an external player.
Ok so I put the files on a USB stick and connected directly into my LG CX.

FEL_to_Profile81.mp4 played in DV. All other files failed with the message "This file cannot be recognised..."