Explorer Crashing on 1.6.3

Everything related to MakeMKV
cyrax83

Explorer Crashing on 1.6.3

Post by cyrax83 »

Hi Guys,

I'm new to makemkv and have a couple of queries. I have tried makemkv on 1.6.3, but after it finishes ripping and I go to the directory, explorer crashes straight away. I browsed the forums and read something about mkv thumbnailing, but I don't have this enabled (i go to other mkv's, set icons and no thumbnail appears). mkv is currently owned by windows media player file type.

To summarise, my questions are:

1. Is there a way to stop explorer crashing on 1.6.3 ?
2. My read rate is on 3.5X even though I have a Samsung 12x Blu-ray drive. Is this normal ?

Computer specs:
Windows 7 x64
Shark007 codecs (prefer this over CCCP as I have everything working just the way i need in media center)

I don't think it's a codec issue - because I have hundreds of mkv files and have no issues - only with my first makemkv file.

Thanks guys !!
twa000

Re: Explorer Crashing on 1.6.3

Post by twa000 »

Do you have DivX software installed?
cyrax83

Post by cyrax83 »

I have tried setting vlc to own the mkv file asssocation, same issue.

And no i don't have DIVX installed
twa000

Post by twa000 »

OK, no DivX!
However, if you have the patience it is worth using regedit to look at the registry entries, scan for "mkv" and just see who (which application/module) is doing the 'thumbnail' translation -
When I had the problem, whatever I assigned mkv to (I even tried notepad) or even turning off thumbnails, explorer would still at some stage blow up - and the I found that my thumbnails were regardless being created by (in my case) DivX because there was a registry entry created jby DivX ust for thumbnail processing) - even though I had done everything possible to stop DivX from handling mkv's except when I wanted it.

Just because you have a clean system does not mean that some stupid software has not modified the registry to do something that is just totally transparent to you the user :evil:
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@cyrax83

Hi!
I have tried makemkv on 1.6.3, but after it finishes ripping and I go to the directory, explorer crashes straight away.

1) What is your source material? - Original, commercial BluRay disc, original, commercial DVD, or something else?

2) If your source material is an original, commercial Blu-ray disc, does the same thing happen if you use MakeMKV v.1.6.3 to make a FULL DISC backup from it? If not, then try to use the FULL DISC backup as your source to make an .MKV.

Cheswick

Post by Cheswick »

Had the same problem and in my case it definitly helped to uninstall DivX. Thats by the way software nobody needs anymore. There're many examples like divX when CEOs take over a company and only the money counts. RIP "divX", "Nero", "Real" and so on.
cyrax83

Post by cyrax83 »

Hi,

It was a commercial bluray movie.

I tried as you suggested, ripped the full disc using makemkv, then used makemkv on the full ripped disc to make the mkv, same issue unfortunately.

I also searched registry for mkv and found the following which may assist:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\ByteStreamHandlers\.mkv]
"{DB733722-8542-4D15-90F5-CE45D757BBF2}"="DivX Media Foundation Source"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\ByteStreamHandlers\.mkv]
"{DB733722-8542-4D15-90F5-CE45D757BBF2}"="DivX Media Foundation Source"

I took a backup, deleted the keys and tried again, same issue. I then added the keys back.
I reckon it must have something to do with shark007 and incompatibility with makemkv, but the issue remains that I don't have issues with any other mkv's ... just this one created with makemkv (tried several bluray discs)

And I also definately do not have DivX installed, in add/remove programs I don't see any DivX entries. If this is some sort of bug and unsolvable for the moment I may have to look at trying some other software. Shame because makemkv looks great :(
cyrax83

Post by cyrax83 »

Further update.

In shark007, I disabled the divx media foundation splitter in 32-bit and 64-bit mode and also disabled thumbnails of mkv in 32bit mkv tab, and explorer no longer crashes

Now unfortunately even though I can get to the folder, I can't play the mkv. When trying in WMP:

"Windows media player encountered a problmem while playing the file"

When trying in VLC:

"No suitable decoder module: VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.".

Other mkv's still play fine from WMP + VLC
Cheswick

Post by Cheswick »

I also had crashes with VLC when playing Blu-ray (mkv-)material. MediaPlayer works (Windows 7, 64 Bit). Also have good results with "PowerDVD 10" from Cyberlink.