Problems ripping Seven

Everything related to MakeMKV
Ferrets

Problems ripping Seven

Post by Ferrets »

I seem to having some difficulty ripping my bare bones BluRay copy of Seven.

It rips, but the video is very slow and the audio is out of sync. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
crowfax

Re: Problems ripping Seven

Post by crowfax »

Sounds like a problem with your playback software. What are you using?
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Ferrets

Hi!
I seem to having some difficulty ripping my bare bones BluRay copy of Seven.

Please clarify :

1) What do you mean by your "bare bones copy"?

2) Are you trying to make a backup using this "bare bones" version as your source? Or are you trying to make a "bare bones copy" using your original, commercial Blu-ray disc as your source?

Ferrets

Post by Ferrets »

It's a commercial "bare-bones" bluray meaning there are no features or bluray extras. It's the movie only. I'm just trying to make an mkv of it like I've done for all my other blurays so I can stream it from my media PC. I've tried it in KMPlayer and VLC. In KMPlayer the video is slow and audio out of sync and it also looks like there could be an interlacing issue, but I'm no video expert... In VLC it just crashes the player, and QuickTime won't even launch it.

I agree it seems like a codec issue but it seems a little odd that this is the only movie that would throw this problem?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

With NO other backup programs (AnyDVD, Passkey, DVDFab, etc.) running in either the foreground or background, use MakeMKV to first do a FULL DISC backup. Then use the FULL DISC backup as your source for using MakeMKV to create an .MKV...

Ferrets

Post by Ferrets »

OK, did a full disc backup as you suggested (I don't have any other backup programs) and used that as my source to create an MKV and I get the same result. Audio out of sync and video playback problems.

So I downloaded updated to the latest KMPlayer and it seems to work fine though the quality isn't the best. I downloaded the latest Divx player and that seems much better.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Glad to hear that you've resolved your problem.

I'd be curious to know how the FULL DISC version plays on each of the software players you've tried.

Also, what are the video and audio formats - and what is your system comprised of?

Ferrets

Post by Ferrets »

The video format for this disc is H.264 and the audio codec is DTS and AC3. I dropped the DTS in favour of the AC3, so that is what I was using, though I got the same result for both.

I'm not sure if any of these players can actually play a Blu-Ray disc? If the can't I'm not sure how to get them to do it!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Ferrets wrote:I'm not sure if any of these players can actually play a Blu-Ray disc? If the can't I'm not sure how to get them to do it!
I doubt the players you downloaded support playing a blu-ray disc, but, if you're looking for freeware to do so, check out MPC-HC. It's capable of opening a blu-ray structure from folder, mounted ISO, or original disc (assuming you have something like AnyDVD running to remove the protection in realtime).
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Ferrets

Once again, what is your system comprised of?

I ask because you system may not be adequate for processing Blu-ray properly (fast enough)...