Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Lost_Brit

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Lost_Brit »

Dinst wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:32 pm
This does happen, try clicking play again or closing exoplayer and trying again.
Thanks, tried that, tried uninstalling/reinstalling, clearing cache, restarting Shield etc. No dice, playback failed for every file :-/
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

safcsat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:57 pm
This is amazing work, so firstly, thank you!

I've installed the latest app for exoplayer, from a few posts back without the debug. Also have created the playercorefactory.xml and copied that over. No matter what I try, when I select to play with external player, or it does it itself as I have a rule in playercorefactory.xml, I get a popup to say external player is active, click ok when playback has ended, but nothing plays. Tried the samples from this thread to be sure it is not related to non-working conversions.

Any ideas?

Shield Pro 2019
Latest Kodi from Play Store
latest exoplayer.apk from this thread.
Yeah, this has something to do with how the Shield accesses the files. They have to be local or locally mounted (the Shield offers this functionality under storage). Before I did this I got the same behaviour you describe.

Map the share on the Shield (not Kodi), or copy a file to the local storage to test it first.
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

Going to try this on my new Sony X900H .. doubt it will work but I’d laugh if it did.

Either way- happy my shield will get love :wink:
Epedemic

Post by Epedemic »

Liersi wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:12 pm

Map the share on the Shield (not Kodi), or copy a file to the local storage to test it first.
May be a stupid question, but how do you make kodi find the share, once mapped by the shield? I've been trying to figure this out for ages, and finally gave up and just copied files to my usb hdd.
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

Epedemic wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:38 pm
Liersi wrote:

May be a stupid question, but how do you make kodi find the share, once mapped by the shield? I've been trying to figure this out for ages, and finally gave up and just copied files to my usb hdd.
If you mounted the drive on your shield in settings - storage, it should just show up as a drive in Kodi
Epedemic

Post by Epedemic »

djbuddha wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:45 am

If you mounted the drive on your shield in settings - storage, it should just show up as a drive in Kodi
It does not. I can see all my shares in "TV file manager app", but not in kodi's file manager or in any combination of stuff in "add source" in the attachments. :/

*edit* Also, MrMC sees the mounted shares fine :O

*edit2* NEVER MIND! :D i "just" had to add /storage/ manually, and the mounted shares show up there. Thanks for getting me on the right train of thought though :) And i can confirm DV stuff plays over network using the right exoplayer apk this way :)
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

Epedemic wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:14 am
djbuddha wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:45 am

It does not. I can see all my shares in "TV file manager app", but not in kodi's file manager or in any combination of stuff in "add source" in the attachments. :/

*edit* Also, MrMC sees the mounted shares fine :O

*edit2* NEVER MIND! :D i "just" had to add /storage/ manually, and the mounted shares show up there. Thanks for getting me on the right train of thought though :) And i can confirm DV stuff plays over network using the right exoplayer apk this way :)
No worries at all, glad to help!
TickTock

Post by TickTock »

I'm tempted to order a Nvidia Shield which would arrive on Tuesday but I'm worried about the colour issue. I would only be ordering it for Dolby Vision films and if the colour issue isn't fixed, the device would be useless to me.

Are there any other Dolby Vision devices on the horizon?
safcsat

Post by safcsat »

Liersi wrote:
safcsat wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:57 pm
This is amazing work, so firstly, thank you!

I've installed the latest app for exoplayer, from a few posts back without the debug. Also have created the playercorefactory.xml and copied that over. No matter what I try, when I select to play with external player, or it does it itself as I have a rule in playercorefactory.xml, I get a popup to say external player is active, click ok when playback has ended, but nothing plays. Tried the samples from this thread to be sure it is not related to non-working conversions.

Any ideas?

Shield Pro 2019
Latest Kodi from Play Store
latest exoplayer.apk from this thread.
Yeah, this has something to do with how the Shield accesses the files. They have to be local or locally mounted (the Shield offers this functionality under storage). Before I did this I got the same behaviour you describe.

Ahhhh! Spot on mate, that works now. Should have just mounted the NAS on the shield to start with, much easier!

Thank you
VeryWittyName

Post by VeryWittyName »

Just tried to read the last 20 pages and I have information overload. Looks like MakeMKV is ripping MKVs with DV now, which is fantastic - is this working out-of-the-box for Plex on Shield (no Kodi), or do I have to install the apk linked here for that? Or do I have to do something else entirely?
Dinst

Post by Dinst »

VeryWittyName wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:26 am
Just tried to read the last 20 pages and I have information overload. Looks like MakeMKV is ripping MKVs with DV now, which is fantastic - is this working out-of-the-box for Plex on Shield (no Kodi), or do I have to install the apk linked here for that? Or do I have to do something else entirely?
You need to install the modified exoplayer APK and play from within Kodi or you can set the Plex add on for Kodi to use the modified exoplayer. This is the only way it will work until Plex update the native Plex app for the Shield.
VeryWittyName

Post by VeryWittyName »

Dinst wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:12 am
VeryWittyName wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:26 am
You need to install the modified exoplayer APK and play from within Kodi or you can set the Plex add on for Kodi to use the modified exoplayer. This is the only way it will work until Plex update the native Plex app for the Shield.
Got it, thank you :) it sounds like I'm all ready on my end if I re-rip my DV films in 1.15.2. I'll wait and see what Plex does in the near future.
bl4ck

Post by bl4ck »

If mkv with dv this is still profile 7 how this is possible to able play this file on shield tv? someone can explain? thank you.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Good work so far, using the latest exo player apk uploaded here, tried 1917 and Saving private Ryan, I am getting occasional glitches though on the Shield, this can be like a few frame overlaps, or a full on pause.

Can’t say what version of shield experience I am running, but it isn’t supposed to suffer this problem with Atmos tracks anymore ( same file plays fine using Kodi default player in HDR).

Anybody else had any problems?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

TickTock wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:45 am
I'm tempted to order a Nvidia Shield which would arrive on Tuesday but I'm worried about the colour issue. I would only be ordering it for Dolby Vision films and if the colour issue isn't fixed, the device would be useless to me.

Are there any other Dolby Vision devices on the horizon?
Hi,
Sony x700 is what I use to play dual layer DV + Atmos TS rip, works well and no color issues.