Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SamuriHL

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by SamuriHL »

Thanks for sharing that. I'll have to play later. Still watching a movie at the moment and apparently my list of things to work on tonight is growing. LOL
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:52 pm
Give this sample a try and see if you get the same behavior:

https://mega.nz/file/FSpXXIYC#yyKOpypa7 ... 7M7ihjRmSo
With that sample it's a black screen until the end, then it pauses and shows a still frame.
If I seek after it ended, the playback is stuttery and there are white flash glitches.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

quietvoid wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:13 pm
shawnc22 wrote:

With that sample it's a black screen until the end, then it pauses and shows a still frame.
If I seek after it ended, the playback is stuttery and there are white flash glitches.
Ah that is odd. That's the sample I've been using and it's worked fine. What's your equipment setup like?
ragico

Post by ragico »

ragico wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:18 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:58 pm
Once yusecope's modified exoplayer apk is released and installed on your Shield, you need to make the following changes:

1) Create a playercorefactory.xml file as shown from the example here: https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Use_exter ... on_Android

2) Add this entry to the players block:

Code: Select all

<player name="ExoPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
			<filename>com.google.android.exoplayer2.demo</filename>
			<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
			<playcountminimumtime>120</playcountminimumtime>
		</player>
3) Move the file over to the Shield at /Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata

4) Restart Kodi on your Shield and then browse to the mkv you're trying to play, hold down the select button and you should now see a "Play Using" option. Select that and then ExoPlayer to start playing.
Thank you for these instructions. Now hoping you upload the apk. :D :D
Tried several movies, including your sample and and after exoplayer starts I get always the message: Playback failed.
This is my xml playerconfigure.maybe something wrong in it?

<playercorefactory>
<players>
    <player name="ExoPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>com.google.android.exoplayer2.demo</filename>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<playcountminimumtime>120</playcountminimumtime>
    </player>
</players>
</playercorefactory>
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:20 pm
quietvoid wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:13 pm
shawnc22 wrote:

Ah that is odd. That's the sample I've been using and it's worked fine. What's your equipment setup like?
That was with Kodi 18.7.1 on a Firestick 4K, DLNA for the file. LG C8 for the TV.
Last edited by quietvoid on Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

quietvoid wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:29 pm
That was with Kodi 18.7.1 on a Firestick 4K, DLNA for the file.
Not going to work on the Firestick, there is no support for truehd lossless audio. It might work if you include one of the other lossless tracks when making the mkv, but not sure as I have only done my tests on the 2019 Shield so no guarantees.

@ragico, what version of Kodi are you running and what's the rest of your setup like?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:35 pm
Not going to work on the Firestick, there is no support for truehd lossless audio. It might work if you include one of the other lossless tracks when making the mkv, but not sure as I have only done my tests on the 2019 Shield so no guarantees.
The audio isn't the problem, my first sample has AC3 audio.
I do remember however having black screens with TS files directly with the Plex app, which triggered Dolby Vision too.
Pmaw10

Post by Pmaw10 »

Just tried the test file and it worked great on my Shield Pro. This is very exciting. Thank you all involved for all your hard work. I am re-ripping one of my Dolby Vision movies now and will try it out when it's done. Soon with the help of that XML, I'll be able to tell Kodi to use ExoPlayer when playing videos with "Dolby.Vision" in the filename. Not quite the same as native DV support in Kodi support but pretty darn close! No more switching between Plex and Kodi depending on what I'm watching.
ragico

Post by ragico »

shawnc22 wrote:
quietvoid wrote:
That was with Kodi 18.7.1 on a Firestick 4K, DLNA for the file.

@ragico, what version of Kodi are you running and what's the rest of your setup like?
Kodi 18.7 on shield pro 2019. Shield directly connected to Panasonic GZ2000 oled tv. All the DV files made by the latest yusesope tool profile 4 work perfectly in Plex. I did almost 10 mkv with the latest release and no one of them plays including your sample downloaded from mega. I choose to play the file with exoplayer and I see the player interface on the screen followed by "Playback failed" on screen message.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

quietvoid wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:40 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
The audio isn't the problem, my first sample has AC3 audio.
I do remember however having black screens with TS files directly with the Plex app, which triggered Dolby Vision too.
Yeah could be just a limitation of the firestick's DV capabilities. I don't recall anyone mentioning that they've gotten the old TS method to work on a firestick, so it's no surprise that the new mkv would not work either. I suggest just sticking to the dual track mp4s and playing it off your LG's internal player.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

quietvoid wrote:
That was with Kodi 18.7.1 on a Firestick 4K, DLNA for the file. LG C8 for the TV.
All DV files produced by MakeMKV are dvhe.07. Firestick cannot play this type of file

ragico wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:48 pm
"Playback failed" on screen message.
Make sure you use the DLNA protocol and not Samba (for Samba you need an application that do the smb -> http conversion). Read the posts (and related discussion) that I reported earlier in my previous message.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

ragico wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:48 pm
Kodi 18.7 on shield pro 2019. Shield directly connected to Panasonic GZ2000 oled tv. All the DV files made by the latest yusesope tool profile 4 work perfectly in Plex. I did almost 10 mkv with the latest release and no one of them plays including your sample downloaded from mega. I choose to play the file with exoplayer and I see the player interface on the screen followed by "Playback failed" on screen message.
Here's my playercorefactory.xml that you can try. Just replace the one you have and restart Kodi.

edit: sorry forgot link. https://mega.nz/file/9fZ3gCoa#bUL3DYXfc ... TMD7rccfzk
Last edited by shawnc22 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

yusesope wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:51 pm
Make sure you use the DLNA protocol and not Samba (for Samba you need an application that do the smb -> http conversion). Read the posts (and related discussion) that I reported earlier in my previous message.
I actually mounted my NAS onto my Shield through smb and that's where all my test files are located. It seems to be working okay?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Holy God in heaven. I am VERY thrilled right now! Yusesope, thank you! Shawnc22, thank you for the link and the instructions. Watching 1917 in Kodi off my NAS in full Dolby Vision as we speak. BOO....YAH!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Just saw your message, shawnc22, and I do the same. Got my NAS mounted over SMB.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

One more thing, people who aren't getting it to work. You COULD (not should stupid typo) add this to the rules in your xml:

<rule video="true" player="ExoPlayer"/> <!-- Default for anything else not listed -->
Last edited by SamuriHL on Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.