Makemkv using Windows 10 Remote Desktop Connection

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
deano

Makemkv using Windows 10 Remote Desktop Connection

#1 Post by deano » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:43 pm

I usually access my Remote (another room) Plex server computer with My WH14NS40 drive to Rip with makemkv and Encode movies with Handbrake
Using "remote desktop connection" in Windows 10 Pro. Everything works fine except for Makemkv will report no useable blu ray drive available.
If I am directly at that computer makemkv works fine. Is there something I can do to get makemkv to work this way?

Woodstock

Re: Makemkv using Windows 10 Remote Desktop Connection

#2 Post by Woodstock » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:20 pm

You need to tell Windows to allow access to the drive. Using RDP, Windows 7 and later will refuse access to optical disks by default.

But, I can't remember the exact magic incantation to do that... it's under the Local Security Policy, though.

pitsie

#3 Post by pitsie » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:26 am

Running MakeMKV as administrator also works.

Woodstock

#4 Post by Woodstock » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:00 pm

Administrator works locally, but not under RDP. RDP invokes different permissions, which can negate the local mode.

It is POSSIBLE that using the service that was introduced recently could make the change to access permissions unnecessary; I have not run any tests on that myself.

deano

#5 Post by deano » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:24 pm

Run as Administrator worked, thank you.

asset4

#6 Post by asset4 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:03 pm

Here is the solution that worked for me:
You need to edit the Group Policy and enable a Computer Policy on the host computer with the CD/BD ROM.

In the local Group Policy editor, go into Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access

Enable the policy "All Removable Storage: Allow direct access in remote sessions"

This policy setting grants normal users direct access to removable storage devices in remote sessions.

If you enable this policy setting, remote users will be able to open direct handles to removable storage devices in remote sessions.

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, remote users will not be able to open direct handles to removable storage devices in remote sessions.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... itpromedia