Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
steffenmanden

Re: Official Dolby Vision MKV spec support

Post by steffenmanden »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:27 pm
besson wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:05 pm
So if i saved a backup using the feature in MakeMKV, I should be able to rip from that as well too right?
Yes, backups are always like a source disc, everything is preserved, even if a backup was made by a two year old MakeMKV.
besson wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:05 pm
Do you recommend holding off for 1.15.3 before I start pulling discs out and re-ripping?
No, assuming 1.15.2 is all good and bug-free, you can do it now. The problem is that we don't know it yet - there is just no software to check with.
Great work mike - we can now get the code cleaned up to make a pull request to Exoplayer!

A lot of pressure had been on you, so test material was available :D
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

kweenie wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:56 pm
Thanks jayper. I followed or at least tried to follow this from the beginning, but there are so many technical details, where I had to give up.
To be honest, i could imagine that it will be a looong time before you see hardware supporting this way of using DV in mkv, besides the Shield, which uses the Exoplayer v2 directly.

It might be a process that takes months - even in the best case scenario
kweenie

Post by kweenie »

steffenmanden wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:34 am
kweenie wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:56 pm
Thanks jayper. I followed or at least tried to follow this from the beginning, but there are so many technical details, where I had to give up.
To be honest, i could imagine that it will be a looong time before you see hardware supporting this way of using DV in mkv, besides the Shield, which uses the Exoplayer v2 directly.

It might be a process that takes months - even in the best case scenario
True. I am not holding my breath that the M9702 will get an update for DV mkv playback. Looking at adding a Shield to the collection. At the moment this looks like the best bet or most complete solution.
siriusbox

Post by siriusbox »

It's more than probable than FFmeg get also support soon, which is used in more platforms and players, the important thing is get the hardware licensed, from that perspective you have also other options; Amazon Fire Stick 4K, Apple TV 4K and of course any device using Android TV (which includes lot of TVs).

A different thing is expect support from Bluray Players which also allow to read MKV, mostly because that kind of device are really focused to "legal" stuff.

Nowadays the cheapest device you can buy in order to play those new MKV DV is the Amazon Fire Stick 4K, around $50 (even much less with some offerts), it supports Dolby Vision, so Plex on Fire Stick 4K will support as soon as they include the feature, the same for Kodi (sideloading) as soon as FFmeg get support Kodi will.

Regards.
cipher

Post by cipher »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:38 pm
besson wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:06 pm
Stupid question, but if I want Dolby Vision support, do i need to re-rip all my UHD's?
Unfortunately, yes.

In theory 1.15.1 did preserve DV data, but was putting DV metadata in an intermediate format. And what's worse, 1.15.2 can't open its own generated MKV files (with respect to dolby vision). In theory, if you have a file made by 1.15.1, then you would be able to open such MKV file with 1.15.3 and save as "proper" MKV. You can't do this with 1.15.2 :(
So, 1.15.3 will be able to open DV MKV's created with 1.15.1 and save them to a new MKV containing the updated DV approach. That is good news and should save some time for those who already remuxed some titles that way.

Will 1.15.3 allow opening and saving of DV MKV's created with 1.15.2 since the latter won't allow this?
bl4ck

Post by bl4ck »

kweenie wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:17 pm
I am not holding my breath that the M9702 will get an update for DV mkv playback. Looking at adding a Shield to the collection. At the moment
I don't think it will ever happen
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

cipher wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:21 am
So, 1.15.3 will be able to open DV MKV's created with 1.15.1 and save them to a new MKV containing the updated DV approach. That is good news and should save some time for those who already remuxed some titles that way.
Will 1.15.3 allow opening and saving of DV MKV's created with 1.15.2 since the latter won't allow this?
Yes.
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

kweenie wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:17 pm
True. I am not holding my breath that the M9702 will get an update for DV mkv playback. Looking at adding a Shield to the collection. At the moment this looks like the best bet or most complete solution.
The 2019 Shield is awesome. Check my latest post on the "Dolby Vision and 1.15.1" thread. I got Plex to trigger Dolby Vision using the Kodi Add-on (it's Kodi running using the official Plex add-on) ... Atmos & Dolby Vision out of an MKV..... what a time to be alive!!!
cipher

Post by cipher »

mike admin wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:59 pm
cipher wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:21 am
Yes.
Great news! Thanks again, Mike.
WIHanddoc

Post by WIHanddoc »

Will trimming DV MKV's created with 1.15.2 using the latest version of MKVToolNix (48.0.0) preserve the DV info? I wish that the MakeMKV program had a feature to directly trim the MKV's to a specified time frame during creation to save me this step. I like to eliminate most of the trailing credits at the end of the movie to save a little space on my NAS.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

A little bit of topic. For testing purposes I was asked to create MKV files out of official Dolby test files - profile 5 and 8. Figured should be no harm to share with everyone for testing. Files do not contain audio track, they are video-only.

http://www.makemkv.com/download/dvtest/
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Thanks for that, Mike. A lot of testing is going on right now so this could be useful indeed.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

Bravia+ShieldTV (Exoplayer)
p5 plays in DV
p8.1 plays in HDR
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

lexyz wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:13 am
p8.1 plays in HDR
My mistake! Check out THIS post.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

LG C8 + Fire TV Stick 4K with the updated Exoplayer.
Both profile 5 and 8.1 samples play in Dolby Vision.