Thanks and some suggestions

Everything related to MakeMKV
lingenfr

Thanks and some suggestions

Post by lingenfr »

I am using makemkv (linux version) for the second time today. Thanks for supporting linux and making this available. I am checking out the new version to see how it is coming. While it is a neat tool and certainly far easier than the alternatives, it does not yet quite do what I need done. I doubt that I will ever rip a BR disc to play on my linux machines. They do alright, but tend to choke to the point of frustration. I primarily would use it to rip BR discs I buy to another format appropriate to my xbox/xbmc or portable devices. The last version I tested didn't do that and despite a great deal of testing and trial and error, I couldn't convert the makemkv output file into a smaller/lighter file appropriate to my portable devices. A lot of yap about handbrake and other tools, but listing a tool without the appropriate settings is nearly (very nearly) useless. While $50 is a bit steep for me, if this tool would allow me to convert to portable device formats easily, I would gladly pay it. At present, while I might consider a donation, I couldn't justify $50 for a tool I likely would rarely if ever use. You might consider a donation link so that folks can support you even if they don't want to buy makemkv. Cheers.
mike admin

Re: Thanks and some suggestions

Post by mike admin »

There is a wonderful transcoding guide in linux sub-forum.
skittle

Post by skittle »

Have even you looked at handbrake yet? Its really very simple to use and has presets for various devices. Its also free open source software. Download the latest nightly build as the official build on the main page and in your distro are very very outdated.

btw just to play devils advocate here: makemkv is the price of just 2 blurays. Does it still seem "pricey"?
lingenfr

Post by lingenfr »

mike admin, thanks I will take a look at that. Maybe I have missed it.

skittle thanks for validating my point about worthless posts.

Cheers.
skittle

Post by skittle »

I dont know what devices you have so how can we recommend settings? ...Also to be fair this is not the handbrake support forum. Go there if you want help with that application.

If you cant figure out how to press "device ipod" or something in handbrake then I am certainly not going to waste time telling you about ffmpeg and x264 settings. Go read the manual pages or jump in to IRC if you want someone to hold your hand.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@lingenfr

You can find the Linux guide spoken of by "mike admin" at:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1313

And guess who created it? ;>}

BTW, your comment:
skittle thanks for validating my point about worthless posts.
was not an excellent initial foray onto a new (for you) forum...

Ninpo

Post by Ninpo »

skittle wrote: btw just to play devils advocate here: makemkv is the price of just 2 blurays. Does it still seem "pricey"?
50 quid of anyone's money in this current climate is pricey, especially for software. Despite the beta status guaranteeing free use at the moment, I went to buy a license anyway just now, my purchase process screeching to a halt at the price tag. I would have paid ?20-25 in a heartbeat.

That said, it's great that we've finally got the ability to use our blurays in Linux which is why I was more than happy to look to purchasing a license straight away.

EDIT: apologies for necro, I wanted to say something about the price but wanted to avoid a thread dedicated to it so searched for "price" and found your post.