PIP streams problem

Everything related to MakeMKV
Sidrack

PIP streams problem

Post by Sidrack »

Just wanted to let you know this another problem with Blu-rays... and from my explanation you should note that only TSMuxer was actually extracting the first PIP stream. MakeMKV listed the m2ts from the movie twice and didn't make a distinction between a m2ts with two video streams (first from the PIP, second from the movie itself). Please read the explanation and you will understand that.

But not even TSMuxer could solve this problem... I need to extract 2 additional PIP streams and I don't know what should I do.
The first issue I had with Blu-rays was described in the MakeMKV thread regarding slideshows:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2111

It seems a simple convertion won't give anyone MKV files that resemble the original authoring. Now I am facing another problem and I need to know if this can be done as well, because I am not seeing how. And it's even worse than slideshows (or multiple video angles, from Star Trek: TOS).

The title I have tested is "The Sound of Music" (1965) from Fox Film, in Blu-ray (first disc).

It's possible to convert (into Matroska) anything on this disc, except for this:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Sound ... 95/#Review
Your Favorite Things - An Interactive Celebration

Like most of Fox's tent pole Blu-ray productions, The Sound of Music comes with an all-new interactive bonus features interface that can be accessed while watching the film.

When you select "Your Favorite Things" from the extras tab, a brief video tutorial plays and you're taken to a menu where you can customize the experience. There are four options here, and you can select as many or as few of them as you'd like.

Making Music: A Journey in Images is a picture-in-picture mode that displays many never-before-seen storyboards and photographs of the film's production in the upper right corner of the screen, The Sing-Along Experience provides karaoke-style lyrics across the bottom of the screen, Many a Thing to Know is a trivia track about the making of the film and the real Maria, and Where Was it Filmed? is an ongoing multiple-choice quiz.

With all four options turned on, I find that the interface obscures too much of the film, but I can see many fans taking advantage of the karaoke mode.
As you can see, if we select one of those options in the Blu-ray menu, while we are watching the movie, a window appears either showing another video or (and I am not talking about movie subtitles) with movie curiosities written in english (or portuguese, it all depends of the language Total Media Theatre player from Arcsoft is using).

I am not seeing how I am going to extract this PIP content. Is it possible to do that?

Have you guys already saw any Bu-ray with this kind of content?

About this thread:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=157956

I have successfully extracted one PIP stream using TSMuxer (720x480, using 3.2 Profile). However, it was only one of them, I am not seeing the curiosity PIP track anywhere. Neither "Where was it filmed", which is confirmed to be another PIP track!

This is what I am talking about:

P.S. The m2ts from the movie is a unique file, and it has 42.1 GB (00360.m2ts).
setarip_old

Re: PIP streams problem

Post by setarip_old »

@Sidrack

Hi!

If your question is, "Why can't I have the PIP features in a "movie-only" .MKV or an "Extras-only" .MKV, it's my understanding that (just like active menus and Internet-accessible "special extras"), PIP features are ONLY accessible and controllable from a full disc Blu-ray backup - and not from within an .MKV...

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This is true. MakeMKV can be modified to extract PIP stream as a separate file but is it really worth it?
Sidrack

Post by Sidrack »

setarip_old wrote:If your question is, "Why can't I have the PIP features in a "movie-only" .MKV or an "Extras-only" .MKV, it's my understanding that (just like active menus and Internet-accessible "special extras"), PIP features are ONLY accessible and controllable from a full disc Blu-ray backup - and not from within an .MKV...
What I always wanted to do here: keep everything from full Blu-ray discs (and DVDs) in my internal Hard Drive(s) but remove all the unwanted data (the reason is obvious: not waste disk space with contents I am not going to use it) such as spanish/french audio/subtitles and piracy warnings (that might be saved by MakeMKV in MKV files as well).

All I want to do here is to convert anything to Matroska (since there's no reencode by doing that as far as I know) and watch that way (instead of keeping a bunch of folders and files), because it's too much trouble for me to use Total Media Theatre from Arcsoft (currently the only player that can be sucessfully used, but lacks too many options from Media Player Classic). It's not practical for me.

This is the first time ever I am not able to extract some Blu-ray content into Matroska (not counting active menus and internet-acessible extras).

It's not that I want the PIP streams to be seen while I watch the movie in a single MKV file. That would be great, but if it's not possible, I will gladly accept another unique file (in MKV format) with all that data or even a TXT file with all the PIP data (the curiosities are written in more than one language, and they are basically just text, while the "Where was it filmed" PIP stream mixes both text and static images).

I managed to do what I want by using TSMuxer to extract the first PIP stream from this movie, which is a video with static images.

However, there are two additional PIP streams that are not being recognized by this program or any other. It's like those contents were hidden inside that huge m2ts file (from the movie).

And MakeMKV at least needs to recognize the first PIP stream from this movie as a second video angle. Because that's how Media Player Classic is recognizing that data. And now that I mentioned about the video angles, I wonder if Star Trek: TOS (Blu-ray discs) had the same problem as well (need to check those again in the future). Star Trek uses two video angles for all episodes (old/new special effects for specific scenes).

I have highlited that for you:

Video - Mpeg4 - It should have a box here with an option to select either the PIP stream (720x480) or the movie stream (1920x1080).

I am not a developer and I don't have any idea how hard it should be to make all those PIP streams available to be extracted somehow, but NEVER SAY NEVER, that doing something is 100% impossible. I hope it's only a matter of time, because it's sad for me to find any disc that can't be fully converted.