Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
floyd12

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by floyd12 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:26 pm
steffenmanden wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:38 pm
Semi working with the fact that PGS subs etc. doesnt work (most places). And just the direction of getting to have the file in the first place
Ah sure, yeah, the PGS issues and lack of chapters support is definitely a shortcoming of the current TS route. Just didn't want to give the newer people the wrong impression that the new mkv will have some improvements on the audio/video side of things.
I don't understand, why are you saying that PGS doesn't work?

I keep all PGS to make my .ts with DV and it just play fine on Plex (all with direct play).
Peter Quill

Post by Peter Quill »

steffenmanden wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:30 pm
Peter Quill wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:55 pm
Hello guys. I'm new here.
I'm curious about the possibility of Dolby Vision and MKV.
A question, as I still don't quite understand the subject: When preparing a remux of BD 4K (HDR10/HDR10+ and DV) will be merged in just one video? Will this process reencode?
Is it possible to join the two videos without having to reencode?
This new way means that Dolby Vision will be supported in the format without quality loss or anything.

Pretty much just play the mkv and the dolby vision will trigger :) - Effectively it means we can avoid all this "crap" with making a TS to get a semi working version
Thanks for your explanation!
Curious to test the new version of MakeMKV with this possibility of Dolby Vision.
MKVToolNix must take time to implement this DV support, right?
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

floyd12 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:32 am
shawnc22 wrote:
steffenmanden wrote:
Semi working with the fact that PGS subs etc. doesnt work (most places). And just the direction of getting to have the file in the first place
Ah sure, yeah, the PGS issues and lack of chapters support is definitely a shortcoming of the current TS route. Just didn't want to give the newer people the wrong impression that the new mkv will have some improvements on the audio/video side of things.

I keep all PGS to make my .ts with DV and it just play fine on Plex (all with direct play).
it fails on most platforms. a very few works with pgs
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

Peter Quill wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:32 pm
steffenmanden wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:30 pm
Peter Quill wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:55 pm
Hello guys. I'm new here.
I'm curious about the possibility of Dolby Vision and MKV.
A question, as I still don't quite understand the subject: When preparing a remux of BD 4K (HDR10/HDR10+ and DV) will be merged in just one video? Will this process reencode?
Is it possible to join the two videos without having to reencode?
This new way means that Dolby Vision will be supported in the format without quality loss or anything.

Pretty much just play the mkv and the dolby vision will trigger :) - Effectively it means we can avoid all this "crap" with making a TS to get a semi working version
Thanks for your explanation!
Curious to test the new version of MakeMKV with this possibility of Dolby Vision.
MKVToolNix must take time to implement this DV support, right?
I would expect it to come within a month or two - for sure i know mike wants this out, so i wouldnt be surprised if a new version of MakeMKV is out in/within a week
box4m

Post by box4m »

something i thought about, what profile will makemkv demux/bl+el+rpu be? it will contain EL and not be profile 5 i guess
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

floyd12 wrote:
shawnc22 wrote:
steffenmanden wrote:

This is playing back with Plex on the 2019 Shield? I actually haven't heard of anyone getting it to work. You can mux them in, but with a PGS subtitle selected during playback, it might play for a second or so, and then it'll pop up with an error and the video will stop.
box4m wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:32 pm
something i thought about, what profile will makemkv demux/bl+el+rpu be? it will contain EL and not be profile 5 i guess
https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 705#p91896
box4m

Post by box4m »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:29 pm

box4m wrote:
i see, thats a bummer... thanks
floyd12

Post by floyd12 »

shawnc22 wrote:
floyd12 wrote:
shawnc22 wrote:

This is playing back with Plex on the 2019 Shield? I actually haven't heard of anyone getting it to work. You can mux them in, but with a PGS subtitle selected during playback, it might play for a second or so, and then it'll pop up with an error and the video will stop.
Sorry, my mistake, actually I never played my DV .ts until the first talks, indeed as soon the first subtitles should appear, the playback stops.
box4m

Post by box4m »

Is profile 5 & 8 regarded as "worse" because EL is stripped?
planet_hoarder

Post by planet_hoarder »

box4m wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:03 pm
Is profile 5 & 8 regarded as "worse" because EL is stripped?
honestly I made few samples of the same movie (with FEL) in different profiles(4,6,7,8), but couldn't see anything different from one to another.
I wonder for what kind of differences should I be looking
DaveBinM

Post by DaveBinM »

shawnc22 wrote:
floyd12 wrote:
shawnc22 wrote:

box4m wrote:
Once MakeMKV is using the new official spec for DV in mkv, then Plex can look at what's involved in making it work with the 2019 Shield.
chrisandy

Post by chrisandy »

Another one..

Combining two discs that have their own BDMV folders:

1. MakeMKV of each
2. eac3to audio for each

Do I then use eac3to to combine them into a single audio track?

4. Use TSMuxer to make a single TS

Just want to make sure I have the above steps correct.

Thanks again to all the wonderful people on this forum who have been incredibly helpful.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

chrisandy wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:15 am
Another one..

Combining two discs that have their own BDMV folders:

1. MakeMKV of each
2. eac3to audio for each

Do I then use eac3to to combine them into a single audio track?

4. Use TSMuxer to make a single TS

Just want to make sure I have the above steps correct.

Thanks again to all the wonderful people on this forum who have been incredibly helpful.
Easiest way is to just use tsmuxer to do the joining. First add your mkv #1 to tsmuxer. Then with it highlighted, click join and add mkv #2. Click add next to add atmos track #1, and then with it highlighted, click join again to add atmos track #2. In the area where you check/uncheck tracks, you'll notice that you only see the tracks from mkv #1 and atmos #1. That's fine as the ones from disc #2 are being joined so they should not show up as their own tracks. Just mux and you'll end up with one resulting TS file
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Lawrence Of Arabia I presume 🤔
floyd12

Post by floyd12 »

floyd12 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:42 am
shawnc22 wrote:
floyd12 wrote:

Sorry, my mistake, actually I never played my DV .ts until the first talks, indeed as soon the first subtitles should appear, the playback stops.
Ok guys, I come back with PGS subtitles, this time I tried with MrMC on 2019 Shield Pro, and the PGS are playing fine, I didn't watch a whole movie just about 1 minute to test it, and everything seems perfect (DV+Atmos+PGS).